Kids lockdown

Get up 6-7am, take the daughter downstair changed fed etc (one at a time approach) . have his brekky waiting for him for when he starts piping up. ( This use to be way worse, now he waits a bit when he knows we're up before kicking off screaming smashing his gate etc) The missus then enters the fight!

Then starts to spiral into madness as i try to do my job.

feel free to shoot me down but would it work doing it the other way round? Take the 3 year old downstairs first. Get in there before he resorts to smashing his gate and screaming the house down. Sounds like it starts as attention method knowing the 1 year old is downstairs which then spirals into a battle.

Again resorting back to experience but if I had a pupil (regardless of age) that was walking through the classroom door at 9am and immediately screaming the place down then I'd look at strategies to get in there before shit hits the fan as I'd know two things were guaranteed if I didn't:

a) 9am, screaming the place down, that's likely to continue for most of the day.
b) I'd be fed up by 10am and losing the will to live.

Get up 6-7 am, take the daughter downstairs changed fed, etc (one at a time approach) . have his brekky waiting for him for when he starts piping up. ( This use to be way worse, now he waits a bit when he knows we're up before kicking off screaming smashing his gate etc)

The missus then enters the fight!

Then starts to spiral into madness as another day begins.
Doesn’t sound right that like mate a kid garn on like that constantly.

feel free to shoot me down but would it work doing it the other way round? Take the 3 year old downstairs first. Get in there before he resorts to smashing his gate and screaming the house down. Sounds like it starts as attention method knowing the 1 year old is downstairs which then spirals into a battle.

Again resorting back to experience but if I had a pupil (regardless of age) that was walking through the classroom door at 9am and immediately screaming the place down then I'd look at strategies to get in there before shit hits the fan as I'd know two things were guaranteed if I didn't:

a) 9am, screaming the place down, that's likely to continue for most of the day.
b) I'd be fed up by 10am and losing the will to live.

It's an idea. But trying to keep things the same. I would do that before going to graft as she would generally go back to sleep after then the missus can have an extra hour as well.
Doesn’t sound right that like mate a kid garn on like that constantly.

It's not but he must be bored atm. And he can get attention by acting the ****. So i presume it's that in his mind. I scream the place down and shout instead of talking I get a response.

Talked to the missus about ignoring it until he pipes down and talks normally but it doesn't work. Neighbors must think were abusing him the way he kicks off all day.

Honestly getting to the point of sacking it all off and getting a flat for me and the daughter.

Last edited:
It's an idea. But trying to keep things the same. I would do that before going to graft as she would generally go back to sleep after then the missus can have an extra hour as well.

by keeping things the same you'll get the same results which, by the sounds of it, is a total nightmare.

I obviously don't know their sleep patterns and whether roles would simply be reserved if you took the 3 year old downstairs but if's it doable give it a bash.

Again, apologies if I'm speaking out of turn as I'm only trying to help but it very much sounds like you both dread the first half hour so you want to put it off as much as possible until he starts demanding attention and then yous go into battle.

It's not but he must be bored atm. And he can get attention by acting the ****. So i presume it's that in his mind. I scream the place down and shout instead of talking I get a response.

Talked to the missus about ignoring it until he pipes down and talks normally but it doesn't work. Neighbors must think were abusing him the way he kicks off all day.

Honestly getting to the point of sacking it all off and getting a flat for me and the daughter.
Yep,it seems as though ignoring him is making no difference.
Can you not play with him in the park a bit in a quite corner for an hr or so?I know we are in partial lockdown like.

by keeping things the same you'll get the same results which, by the sounds of it, is a total nightmare.

I obviously don't know their sleep patterns and whether roles would simply be reserved if you took the 3 year old downstairs but if's it doable give it a bash.

Again, apologies if I'm speaking out of turn as I'm only trying to help but it very much sounds like you both dread the first half hour so you want to put it off as much as possible until he starts demanding attention and then yous go into battle.

But once he's up he's up and everyone else is shouting I WANT I WANT!

that would only work if it was being ignored that he was after.

You need to break the cycle from 6am (or whenever) and go from there.

Don't treat every morning as a battle because if you do then that's exactly what you'll get.

Yep,it seems as though ignoring him is making no difference.
Can you not play with him in the park a bit in a quite corner for an hr or so?I know we are in partial lockdown like.

I am going to attempt this tomorrow. I think just get him knackered and out for a bit i will do it on my lunch break see if it makes a difference. His life has been upended as well.

Last edited:
But once he's up he's up and everyone else is shouting I WANT I WANT!

that's after he's started rattling the gate and shouting the house down though right? Get in there before it happens and he shouldn't have any reason to escalate.

He's possibly jealous of the 1 year old - don't know but it's possible. He's possibly worried that the second the attention is on the 1 year old ( as it has to be from time to time :lol: ) then he's no longer safe and secure. At 3 year old he's not to know otherwise.

that's after he's started rattling the gate and shouting the house down though right? Get in there before it happens and he shouldn't have any reason to escalate.

He's possibly jealous of the 1 year old - don't know but it's possible. He's possibly worried that the second the attention is on the 1 year old ( as it has to be from time to time :lol: ) then he's no longer safe and secure. At 3 year old he's not to know otherwise.

It's a fair point to look at it from a different perspective. Something to consider certainly. But he is loads better in the morning now no longer kicks off i want up now smashing the gate. Just waits then gets up normally.
I’d say the kids demented being in the house all day which is understandable.Id get him out somewhere once a day at least be it in the yard with a ball or down the park.

Are parks allowed? I could put him in school with key worker status but it's a no go from the missus and i agree with her on that point.

Last edited:
It's a fair point to look at it from a different perspective. Something to consider certainly. But he is loads better in the morning now no longer kicks off i want up now smashing the gate. Just waits then gets up normally.

Are parks allowed? I could put him in school with key worker status but it's a no go from the missus.
When I’ve been out on the bike I’ve noticed parents in the corner of the park acres away from anybody,kicking a ball about and that.

Are parks allowed? I could put him in school with key worker status but it's a no go from the missus.

I might have read your earlier post wrong mate. Are you saying he's okay when he gets up or he waits a bit and then starts rattling the gate and demanding attention?

When I’ve been out on the bike I’ve noticed parents in the corner of the park acres away from anybody kicking a ball about and that.

Kicking a ball is fine ive taken him out to do that but if he sees a climbing frame or swing and i say no. Back to WW3 :)

I appreciate all the comments though, it's been good to talk and i am 100% going to take some of this advice on board.

Not the Whisky and Belt options. Unless i want a wild wank.

Back