Kids Cricket

All Stars is the best way in for that age group, quite a few clubs run the all stars sessions across Sunderland and at different times, I’d suggest finding a time/location that suits you through that link.

It’s been delayed for bookings this year unfortunately (central ECB issue) until the start of April so you might need to hang on a couple of weeks for full details and to be able to book

I’d definitely be thinking all stars. Serves as a good introduction to cricket. Most clubs around will be running all stars I would think. My club silksworth are running it on Saturday mornings.

Not sure about the "I want him to get into it perspective" kids are kids take him to a game and see his reaction!
Don't see any harm in taking him along to something like what has been mentioned, and seeing if he likes it. If he doesn't try it, how would he know? And if he doesn't like it, he won't be forced into it.

Can anyone recommend any kids starter classes/teams in the Sunderland area? My lad is 6 in September and I would like to get him into it, even if its just messing about initially, and not very serious. I tried Whitburn and they recommended this, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) - The Official Website of the ECB, but the dates/times that Whitburn run these sessions in May will not work for us.
My club Eppleton do all stars but we have an Under 7s softball team, he’s welcome to Eppleton if he wishes. Send me a message if you want any more info.

Hi mate, imo there is no substitute for a bit of one to one to start off with. Get them used to the ball, loving the game. Catching, batting and bowling, all of which can be done at home. It's difficult to find someone to teach them from scratch. There are loads of great junior sections in the region. Find one that suit you. But it's better that they have a basic grasp of what's going on before they sign up. As I've seen manyier uninterested kid going through the motions all while the parents are keen as mustard to want them to play. As they quite rightly should, because team sport and in particular cricket is amazing for a kids development.

I have just spoken to my mate Ram who runs the youth set up at Wearmouth Yav about your predicament. He has asked to post his details up for anyone looking to play cricket from 5yr up.

Ram +44 7917 003828

[email protected]
Upper, Sans St S, Sunderland SR1 1HG

They are currently netting at Thornhill school and Sans Street leisure centre and actively recruiting at all ages and levels. They've got some canny younguns playing for them. They have recently set up all junior and a girls team, and from all accounts did decent last season.

5? Chuck a ball at him tell him to clobber it by eye ( make adjustments to technique , grip etc once he's seeing it ) . Teach him to bowl with a straight ( ish) arm, throw, catch and ground field ( long barrier ) a tenniser. Keep it fun playing with dad . All he needs

Junior cricket at a very young age has never been more popular. When I was growing up the first team you got into was under 13s. Loads of clubs have under 9s softball team nowadays. My youngun has been playing for a couple of year and is going into his last year at under 9s this coming season. Play on a Sunday morning with the tournaments getting played on Sunday afternoons. Already done quite a bit hardball cricket at that age too. He seems to love it at the moment, been doing indoor training throughout the winter for the upcoming season. Find the vibe tends to be a lot more relaxed than the football at the age.

With regards to the op I'd try and find one as local as possible as he'll end up playing withe school friends which should help him get into it better. All stars is canny but most clubs run junior training session separate away from all stars too
5? Chuck a ball at him tell him to clobber it by eye ( make adjustments to technique , grip etc once he's seeing it ) . Teach him to bowl with a straight ( ish) arm, throw, catch and ground field ( long barrier ) a tenniser. Keep it fun playing with dad . All he needs

First thing I done was get my young un to learn how to bowl. Once he got it I use to get him to rotate bowling and throwing one after the other till it was more or less ingrained into him what the difference was.

Last edited:
Hi mate, imo there is no substitute for a bit of one to one to start off with. Get them used to the ball, loving the game. Catching, batting and bowling, all of which can be done at home. It's difficult to find someone to teach them from scratch. There are loads of great junior sections in the region. Find one that suit you. But it's better that they have a basic grasp of what's going on before they sign up. As I've seen manyier uninterested kid going through the motions all while the parents are keen as mustard to want them to play. As they quite rightly should, because team sport and in particular cricket is amazing for a kids development.

I have just spoken to my mate Ram who runs the youth set up at Wearmouth Yav about your predicament. He has asked to post his details up for anyone looking to play cricket from 5yr up.

Ram +44 7917 003828

[email protected]
Upper, Sans St S, Sunderland SR1 1HG

They are currently netting at Thornhill school and Sans Street leisure centre and actively recruiting at all ages and levels. They've got some canny younguns playing for them. They have recently set up all junior and a girls team, and from all accounts did decent last season.
Thanks mate, that is really good advice.

Back