Kicking off in La Palma, Canary Islands

remember seeing a horizon about one of the island potentially shearring in half and the subsequent tsunami devastating europe including SW UK

This is the island, and the eruption is exactly what they were worried about. However, the subsequent link I posted shows that many geologists have questioned that research.

I think the eruption might have to be a bit bigger than that. We’d hear it from here if it happened.

It's not the eruption itself that's the problem, but the potential it has to destabilise the fissure that split the island during the last eruption in 1949. If half the island slides into the sea, it'll definitely create a tsunami. The disagreement among the scientists is about how likely that is to happen, whether or not the whole lot would collapse at once or it'd be incremental, and the extent to which the energy of a tsunami would dissipate before reaching North America.

It was having rumbles in 2018 when we were in Lanzarote and the man said they expected this to happen. We were looking at the seismic monitors and he was telling me about the evacuation procedures for the island. Hopefully everyone gets off safely.

This is the island, and the eruption is exactly what they were worried about. However, the subsequent link I posted shows that many geologists have questioned that research.

It's not the eruption itself that's the problem, but the potential it has to destabilise the fissure that split the island during the last eruption in 1949. If half the island slides into the sea, it'll definitely create a tsunami. The disagreement among the scientists is about how likely that is to happen, whether or not the whole lot would collapse at once or it'd be incremental, and the extent to which the energy of a tsunami would dissipate before reaching North America.
Apparently that theory has been debunked by various experts according to Twitter thank god

Hmmm... Going to Tenerife next week for my first overseas holiday in 2 years. Looks like the Gods are conspiring to prevent the trip.

Looks like most flights are still operating which is encouraging.

Hmmm... Going to Tenerife next week for my first overseas holiday in 2 years. Looks like the Gods are conspiring to prevent the trip.

They'll be landing and taking off as the end of the runway disappears into the cruel sea. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

Jaw-dropping power of nature. Looks like the end of the world, but of course it's the opposite - this is how islands are born and grow.

Logon or register to see this image

At the moment the plume is going south, so the only island in the firing line - apart from la Palma - is El Hierro. Also, as I understand it, the nature of the eruption isn't quite the same as the Icelandic eruption that shut down Europe's air traffic a few years ago. There's more magma being produced than ash. Dense ash clouds are the threat to aviation.

Last edited:
At the moment the plume is going south, so the only island in the firing line - apart from la Palma - is El Hierro. Also, as I understand it, the nature of the eruption isn't quite the same as the Icelandic eruption that shut down Europe's air traffic a few years ago. There's more magma being produced than ash. Dense ash clouds are the threat to aviation.

I can hear the captain now: "Nothing to worry about, ladies and gentleman. It's only magma heading towards us."

Good to hear. The last thing the Canaries need now is an aviation shutdown similar to that caused Mount Unpronounceable a few years ago.

Jaw-dropping power of nature. Looks like the end of the world, but of course it's the opposite - this is how islands are born and grow.

Amazing pictures 😎

The one in Iceland that's currently erupting has been spewing out lava for six months now and it doesn't show any signs of stopping yet.

Latest from the researchers on the island. Bad news for the islanders, but potentially good news for those worried about a tsunami. An explosive eruption would have posed the largest risk of a massive landslide into the sea. An effusive eruption pumps out large amounts of magma, but in a relatively controlled way. All the buildings in the way will be destroyed, but there'll be time to evacuate everyone, and the risks beyond the island will be low.

We going in a fortnight. Should we be worried do you think?

Like scenes out of a movie.

Back