Kevin Spacey Charged again

Tearing my hair out on the Mendy thread trying to explain this fairly obvious element of the law.

There is no 'therefore'. Not guilty and innocent are categorically different. There's countless material online explaining it. Type into Google 'is not guilty the same as innocent?'

The presumption of innocence is enshrined into law to ensure a fair trial without prejudice. The court makes no judgement on the innocence of the defendant.

Frustrating. So many threads end up like this, the difference between 'not guilty' in a court and 'innocent' as in didn't actually do it. Guilty people will walk free from court every week, because a compelling enough case couldn't be made to pass the standard of proof, not because they didn't do it. We're not a court, and we are perfectly able to believe (rightly or wrongly) that someone who has been found not guilty in a court still committed the crime.

Frustrating. So many threads end up like this, the difference between 'not guilty' in a court and 'innocent' as in didn't actually do it. Guilty people will walk free from court every week, because a compelling enough case couldn't be made to pass the standard of proof, not because they didn't do it. We're not a court, and we are perfectly able to believe (rightly or wrongly) that someone who has been found not guilty in a court still committed the crime.
Fair points but what other status is available? Courts can’t prove somebody is innocent but that doesn’t mean we have to assume vast swathes of those found not guilty did actually commit the crime but it wasn’t proved.

Kevin Spacey has been found not guilty on 9 charges. I’m assuming none of the posters were in court to hear all of the evidence. So who are any of us to presume innocence or guilt?

Evidence has been heard in a full court trial. None of the charges were proved so he was found not guilty. If people start saying “ah yeah but he still could have done it” then doesn’t that make the whole court system and the not guilty verdict pointless?

Which makes you wonder why the 4 accusers wanted to take this to court in the first place…..particularly when the incidents happened ( allegedly ) many years ago.
Glad Spacey has been found not guilty though
Well if they felt they had been assaulted then I can see why they’d want to go to court
Errrrr it does.
He is not guilty.... therefore he is innocent.
Just as he was before the trial.
Being found not guilty is not the same as being innocent of something
Tearing my hair out on the Mendy thread trying to explain this fairly obvious element of the law.

There is no 'therefore'. Not guilty and innocent are categorically different. There's countless material online explaining it. Type into Google 'is not guilty the same as innocent?'

The presumption of innocence is enshrined into law to ensure a fair trial without prejudice. The court makes no judgement on the innocence of the defendant.
Doing the lord’s work man :lol:

Last edited:
Fair points but what other status is available? Courts can’t prove somebody is innocent but that doesn’t mean we have to assume vast swathes of those found not guilty did actually commit the crime but it wasn’t proved.

Kevin Spacey has been found not guilty on 9 charges. I’m assuming none of the posters were in court to hear all of the evidence. So who are any of us to presume innocence or guilt?

Evidence has been heard in a full court trial. None of the charges were proved so he was found not guilty. If people start saying “ah yeah but he still could have done it” then doesn’t that make the whole court system and the not guilty verdict pointless?
people are pre disposed towards someones guilt (or not) regardless of evidence (or lack of) The jury found him not guilty so sounds like they found the prosecution witness statements not credible . It will be very hard for someone of his profile to not polarise opinion

I think it’s perfectly reasonable that people who’ve only read the headlines in the Daily Mail should be better versed with the information and facts that enable a judgement, than the people who’ve sat in a court for days, weeks etc and been presented with evidence, testimony and presentations from both sides before they agree on a conclusion.

Stands to reason.

He still might be a wrangun mind.

Back