Kevin Phillips’s son

You start to feel old when players you grew up watching become managers, older when players your age retire and even older when they start playing.

Not against it like but there are so many of these Father played, so Son gets in examples in both Sports I follow. Footy and Cricket.
You have to admit they do get more credit due to their heritage.
Not many come through as being better than their Dad was though.
Paulo Maldini. I agree though, cricket is slightly different in that it’s so technical and therefore the earlier you start the more chance you have and many more examples of family dynasties in cricket.

Will be interesting to see how Maldini’s son gets on at AC.

His bairns were at the same nursery we used. Saw SKP most afternoons when picking the kids up. Toby is the same age as my daughter (no).

I got SKP to sign my sons first football boots. When I gave them to him he cried cos "someone had scribbled on his new boots". He scrubbed it off with sandpaper 😂

Good luck in your career anyway young fella.

It was his daughter, Millie.

At the time I didn't know what had happened as he was originally announced in the team at 2pm but then didn't play, so I assumed he had got an injury in the pre-match warm up.

But good luck to Phillips junior.
He got called off the pitch either as warming up or when the teams were getting ready to kick off. I remember thinking we'd sold him 😂

His bairns were at the same nursery we used. Saw SKP most afternoons when picking the kids up. Toby is the same age as my daughter (no).

I got SKP to sign my sons first football boots. When I gave them to him he cried cos "someone had scribbled on his new boots". He scrubbed it off with sandpaper 😂

Good luck in your career anyway young fella.
Is you son a Mag? why would he want to do that with SKP signature?

There are quite a few decent footballers who were better than their fathers, it is just you don't hear much about them, because you didn't know their fathers were footballers if they weren't very good in the first place. You only tend to be aware of it the other way around, because there's awareness and expectation. For example, all of the following had pro-footballer dads who played a lesser standard than them:

Krancjar, Alisson, Mandzukic, Rosicky, Antonio Valencia, Jari Litmanen, Lucas Hernandez, Thiago, Hummels, Oliver Kahn, Sammer, Puskas, Christian Vieri, Xabi Alonso, Ander Herrera, Saul Niguez and Paolo Maldini (although his dad was also very good)

Last edited:
Cesare and Paolo Maldini quite famous as both were genuinely world class players.
In England, probably Frank Lampard and Nigel Clough the most notable as both father and son played for England.
Jordi Cryuff had a lot to live up to. Eidur Gudjohnsen came on as a substitute for his father in an international match.
I believe Pele had an illegitimate son round these parts.

There are quite a few decent footballers who were better than their fathers, it is just you don't hear much about them, because you didn't know their fathers were footballers if they weren't very good in the first place. You only tend to be aware of it the other way around, because there's awareness and expectation. For example, all of the following had pro-footballer dads who played a lesser standard than them:

Krancjar, Alisson, Mandzukic, Rosicky, Antonio Valencia, Jari Litmanen, Lucas Hernandez, Thiago, Hummels, Oliver Kahn, Sammer, Puskas, Christian Vieri, Xabi Alonso, Ander Herrera, Saul Niguez and Paolo Maldini (although his dad was also very good)

Thiago's dad won the world cup with Brazil!!!

Alonso who played for us is a third generation footballer, and all played for Spain.

Pele's son was a goalie that went to prison for drugs or murder IIRC.

Back