Keto

Doesn't matter which way its dressed up, if you're losing weight its down to consuming less calories

Exactly. As I said, I know it's down to calorie deficit but it works for me and I find it easier than other diets. I know that I can eat lots of carbs on other diets but they were not for me and so I chose this one.

I don't know where to start.

Please start. I'm listening.

no, simply a caloric surplus is what causes weight gain. A caloric deficit is what causes fat loss. You're choosing to follow a ketogenic lifestyle to create a cal deficit, which is totally fine if it helps you adhere to your diet better.

I'm just commenting so everyone know that KETO offers absolutely zero benefits over normal cal coutning in regards to fat loss. They are simply styles, like intermittent fasting. They all have to abide by caloric deficit. that is law.

I get that, but I mean sugar is high in calories, and if you're limiting sugar you're limiting your calorie intake

Last edited:

Please start. I'm listening.

Alreet then;

1. No diet is proven to work, you lose weight because as the other posters replied, you're in a calorie deficit just the same as you could gain weight on the keto diet if you were in a surplus. I could live on McDonald's/follow the keto diet/eat nothing but carrots, it's irrelevant to weight loss, as long as it amounted to 2250 calories, I would lose roughly 1 pound a week.

2."I realise that the premise of keto is that you eat fewer calories as you're eating lots of fat, which is filling". This makes no sense since fats contain more calories than any other macronutrient. "but you're cutting out sugar which I'm sure you'll agree is one of the main reasons for weight gain?" No, I don't agree. There is only one reason for weight gain, that is being in a calorie surplus. Secondly, how can you cut out sugar when it's in so many foods?

3. "My mental clarity and energy has been amazing also whilst following it", again, this isn't as a result of specifically following the keto diet, it's simply because of your generally eating better. I had a blow out over the Christmas period and felt like shit, then when I started eating well again, I started to feel, well, as you said.

4. "Don't be so quick to dismiss people." I'm not dismissing you mate, or anyone else for that matter. I'm dismissing "diets", they are fads. which are used to sell women's gossip magazine by claiming some celebrity has lost x amount of weight by following the said diet, but if they told the truth said what I did in my initial reply, they wouldn't have stories to print.

Alreet then;

1. No diet is proven to work, you lose weight because as the other posters replied, you're in a calorie deficit just the same as you could gain weight on the keto diet if you were in a surplus. I could live on McDonald's/follow the keto diet/eat nothing but carrots, it's irrelevant to weight loss, as long as it amounted to 2250 calories, I would lose roughly 1 pound a week.

2."I realise that the premise of keto is that you eat fewer calories as you're eating lots of fat, which is filling". This makes no sense since fats contain more calories than any other macronutrient. "but you're cutting out sugar which I'm sure you'll agree is one of the main reasons for weight gain?" No, I don't agree. There is only one reason for weight gain, that is being in a calorie surplus. Secondly, how can you cut out sugar when it's in so many foods?

3. "My mental clarity and energy has been amazing also whilst following it", again, this isn't as a result of specifically following the keto diet, it's simply because of your generally eating better. I had a blow out over the Christmas period and felt like shit, then when I started eating well again, I started to feel, well, as you said.

4. "Don't be so quick to dismiss people." I'm not dismissing you mate, or anyone else for that matter. I'm dismissing "diets", they are fads. which are used to sell women's gossip magazine by claiming some celebrity has lost x amount of weight by following the said diet, but if they told the truth said what I did in my initial reply, they wouldn't have stories to print.

Yes, I agree on all points, but I have stated many times I KNOW it is due to calorie deficit! I just find the keto premise easier to follow than others. If you read my original post, I just wanted low carb meal ideas, not someone swooping in telling me my diet is shit.

Yes, I agree on all points, but I have stated many times I KNOW it is due to calorie deficit! I just find the keto premise easier to follow than others. If you read my original post, I just wanted low carb meal ideas, not someone swooping in telling me my diet is shit.

A bit late but if you’re still looking for recipes www.ketoconnect.net is pretty awesome (recommend the Butter Chicken one!!) I’ve used a decent amount of their recipes and they’re good!

I’ve been doing keto for years now. Works for me and all the food I eat is lush. Whats not to like about bacon and eggs?
My mental clarity is great amongst other things. There is nowt wrong with my levels of clorestorol either.
All in all I like it. It might be a ‘fad diet’ but I would rather take advice from professionals in the field of diet and nutrition when it comes to what I eat, rather than from someone on the SMB, unless of course they too have some formal qualifications to demonstrate their understanding.

anyone got any keto interesting recipes please? Any recipes where you feel like you're eating a nice meal instead of a bunch of random foods?

We've recently discovered a product called Lo-dough - basically a bread/dough substitute. It's expensive but really handy for quick meals.

Things we've tried so far:

Used it as a pizza base (use a pasta sauce and choose your toppings).

Replaced the quiche base with it.

Used it as a burger bun.

This morning we had it as a kind of breakfast bap warmed in the oven - layered baked beans on the bottom, grilled bacon as the next layer, scrambled eggs three quarters done in the microwave and then finished off in the oven and then sliced avocado (uncooked) on the top.

Lidl do a stir fry box for c. 87p which is enough for two (4.5g carbs in half a box). There are at least two varieties. Great mix of veg if used as a stir fry but at lunch we mixed the stir fry into an omelette - really worked. We had it with tuna and cheese but could use anything else you'd put in an omelette.

I stay with these for my in-between meals

Turkey burgers with tenderstem broccoli and asparagus

Tuna steak no drain from a can with a load of salad leaves (Italian salad from Morrison’s my preferred), 30g roule cheese, piquante peppers and olives

Four egg omelet with 30g grated cheese, olives, spinach and diced chorizo

We've recently discovered a product called Lo-dough - basically a bread/dough substitute. It's expensive but really handy for quick meals.

Things we've tried so far:

Used it as a pizza base (use a pasta sauce and choose your toppings).

Replaced the quiche base with it.

Used it as a burger bun.

This morning we had it as a kind of breakfast bap warmed in the oven - layered baked beans on the bottom, grilled bacon as the next layer, scrambled eggs three quarters done in the microwave and then finished off in the oven and then sliced avocado (uncooked) on the top.

Lo-Dough’s class mate, low carb but like you said expensive. I use it for pizzas on a weekend, helps stave off cravings.

Back