Kent vs United States of America

mackembhoy

Striker
Now that is a match up I would never have expected, especially in a cricket match :lol:

Kent and Hampshire playing in a 50 over in the Caribbean with all the island and the US

Yes noticed that. In the West Indies 50 over comp, Hamshite are there as well . Sums up the sad state of WI cricket when they have to invite counties during their pre season and the yanks to play in a domestic competition. Looked like Kent might lose to the yanks for a while. Shame they didn't as would have loved to see what @TheRey Would have had to say if "K*nt" had lost to the yanks :lol:

Yes noticed that. In the West Indies 50 over comp, Hamshite are there as well . Sums up the sad state of WI cricket when they have to invite counties during their pre season and the yanks to play in a domestic competition. Looked like Kent might lose to the yanks for a while. Shame they didn't as would have loved to see what @TheRey Would have had to say if "K*nt" had lost to the yanks :lol:
Well done on the correct spelling there, chief ;) won't have any dirty words here!

Kent v USofA. The battle of the grimmest.:cool:

I was talking to Liam Plunkett's father a few years back and he reckons that Liam will end up in the USA promoting and involving himself in USA cricket when he retires. Reckons that Liam's wife/GF is from The States.

USA had a team that was of almost test standard in the early 20th century. Things could have been very different if the ICC of those days had been International, no Imperial and they were excluded from membership.

USA had a team that was of almost test standard in the early 20th century. Things could have been very different if the ICC of those days had been International, no Imperial and they were excluded from membership.

I don't understand how they aren't better now.

Surely their lads of Asian descent can give the likes of Holland's dodgy Saffas a game?

I don't understand how they aren't better now.

Surely their lads of Asian descent can give the likes of Holland's dodgy Saffas a game?
Aye I was reading a story on Cricinfo about a lad who played for India at u19 level then moved to the US to study engineering and ended up staying there. They end up getting good careers and leave their cricketing days behind them, can't imagine the financial incentives are there to encourage them to play cricket for the US.

The Philadelphians were an internationally famous touring team in 19th century.
Philadelphia International Cricket Festival – Philadelphia International Cricket Festival
Belmont's finest, Mr Peter Welsh did a lot of research into USA cricket when he found out that their best player of the 1900s, Bart King, played for Belmont, USA. Fascinating stuff, if England/Australia/South Africa had been more proactive, they could have played tests v USA before the Great War and who knows! Check out their stats when they toured England in the 1900s.

Kent beat USA again and will likely go through now ahead of the Leeward Islands and one of Jamaica or Guyana. Something doesn't sit quite right with me on this. It irritates me more than it probably should but any English county, let alone a lesser one like Kent, during their pre season, turning up and beating local sides on their own patch in competitive matches would have been unthinkable back in the day.

When we visited New York last year, on the taxi ride from JFK to Manhattan we saw 3 or 4 separate 20:20 games being played in Queens - I was pleasantly surprised. Our Indian (as in from Indian, not a 'native American) driver said it's getting very popular - large Asian and Caribbean communities anyway and the Yanks like the format.

When we visited New York last year, on the taxi ride from JFK to Manhattan we saw 3 or 4 separate 20:20 games being played in Queens - I was pleasantly surprised. Our Indian (as in from Indian, not a 'native American) driver said it's getting very popular - large Asian and Caribbean communities anyway and the Yanks like the format.

Not sure about Yanks liking the format - they generally instinctively oppose cricket until I break it down for them - but there are loads of expats and even some 2nd generation who play. The level is pretty decent as well. The problem is - to play for the national team, people need to take time away from work, etc., as there's no real avenue to turn professional in cricket here, or develop as such.

Not sure about Yanks liking the format - they generally instinctively oppose cricket until I break it down for them - but there are loads of expats and even some 2nd generation who play. The level is pretty decent as well. The problem is - to play for the national team, people need to take time away from work, etc., as there's no real avenue to turn professional in cricket here, or develop as such.

I was just quoting what the cabbie said - maybe I misinterpreted what he meant. It's a shorter format with lots of breaks (for ads) and lasses dancing around with pom poms - sounded plausible that they would like it.

I was just quoting what the cabbie said - maybe I misinterpreted what he meant. It's a shorter format with lots of breaks (for ads) and lasses dancing around with pom poms - sounded plausible that they would like it.

Ah. That makes sense. There's a lot of whinging about "A GAME TAKES 5 DAYS!" and then I point out that a golf tournament takes 4, which quiets things down. 3 hours is definitely more palatable for the Yanks

Ah. That makes sense. There's a lot of whinging about "A GAME TAKES 5 DAYS!" and then I point out that a golf tournament takes 4, which quiets things down. 3 hours is definitely more palatable for the Yanks

What about baseball (which I would say is their nearest equivalent). I watched a couple of matches when I was in Florida - utterly boring. I've looked it up - average runs per game is just over 8 - no wonder they have to have so much beer and hot dogs!

What about baseball (which I would say is their nearest equivalent). I watched a couple of matches when I was in Florida - utterly boring. I've looked it up - average runs per game is just over 8 - no wonder they have to have so much beer and hot dogs!

Extremely boring. I always tell them it's just a useless bastard stepchild of cricket.

Back