Keith Curle

maybe because they haven’t got the qualifications or can’t be arsed to get them !! Or are just shit coaches !!! It doesn’t always have to be about skin colour it’s becoming a kop out

Answering a generalisation with another generalisation 😂

I very much doubt black players aren't doing their badges

I'd say there's a high chance some are.

Look how many black players are in the game. How many of those are managers or assistant managers?

The managers and coaches of today were playing 20/30 years ago. How many black players were playing in England then? Nowhere near as many.

How many of the big name black players In the last 10/20 years were british? That will have a bearing on how many stay in the UK.

I’ve done some crude research, googled a list of best ever EPL players and looked at what all the black players have done since retiring:

Henry - first job Belgium assistant, first club job Monaco
Drogba - offered coaching role at Chelsea, opted to work for Ivory Coast FA
Viera - First job New York, now at Nice
Ashley Cole - Chelsea coach
Andy Cole - pundit
Dwight Yorke - Pundit, applies for jobs but turned down
Yaya Toure - Retired last year, doing badges
Sol Campbell - Macclesfield first now southend
Ian Wright - pundit but did a bit with MK Dons
Anelka - Shanghai coach, mumbai manager, now lille coach
Kompany - Anderlecht manager
Ince - had six jobs
John Barnes - Celtic, Jamaica and Tranmere
Rio Ferdinand - Media career
Les Ferdinand - Had various coaching roles
Collymore - Media career
Jenas - Media
Keith Curle - Manager

I’m not seeing any barriers there? Granted they aren’t all working as managers/coaches but not all will go into/get into coaching or management.

Last edited:
Northampton manager just got them promoted.

Anyone hear his views on the Rooney rule and black managers etc.

Only black person I've heard speak sense regarding this situation. Saying he wouldn't want an interview or job just becasue of the colour of his skin, would want it on merit. Spot on.

Few other good points he made aswell, saying the exact opposite of all them other taties like Sol Campbell etc.

Well done Keith. Respect
He's a decent bloke and was popular with the Carlisle fans when he was over here.

The managers and coaches of today were playing 20/30 years ago. How many black players were playing in England then? Nowhere near as many.

How many of the big name black players In the last 10/20 years were british? That will have a bearing on how many stay in the UK.

I’ve done some crude research, googled a list of best ever EPL players and looked at what all the black players have done since retiring:

Andy Cole - pundit
Ince - had six jobs
Collymore - Media career
Jenas - Media
Keith Curle - Manager

I’m not seeing any barriers there? Granted they aren’t all working as managers/coaches but not all will go into/get into coaching or management.
Leroy Rosenior Manager
Chris Hughton doing ok as a manager

I'm pretty sure (and happy to be corrected here) that the Rooney Rule isn't about giving someone a job because of the colour of their skin, it's more about making sure BAME candidates at least get an interview (or a certain % of BAME applicants are interviewed). Many cannot even get a foot in the door, so the Rooney Rule is to guarantee a certain % of applicants are BAME but the job is still given to the best candidate

That's correct.

The rule only ensures that IF a BAME applicant meets all of the essential criteria for the job, they are given an interview. There's no undertaking that they have to offer the job to them.

The really interesting thing from American Football is that the rule saw a significant increase in employment of BAME people in management jobs, with a number of owners saying that in the past they would have discounted even shortlisting the people they ended up employing, because once they got interviewed people realised their ideas and abilities were more than they had assumed.

Andy Cole - pundit
Ince - had six jobs
Collymore - Media career
Jenas - Media
Keith Curle - Manager

Slightly different for the best players to a certain extent, their name opens doors that better qualified people, regardless of race, would struggle to get through.

When you look at the managers for all 91 clubs, which is dominated by lesser known managers, the picture shows an imbalance.

Northampton manager just got them promoted.

Anyone hear his views on the Rooney rule and black managers etc.

Only black person I've heard speak sense regarding this situation. Saying he wouldn't want an interview or job just becasue of the colour of his skin, would want it on merit. Spot on.

Few other good points he made aswell, saying the exact opposite of all them other taties like Sol Campbell etc.

Well done Keith. Respect
Massive bully when he was manager at Carlisle to the young'uns.

Andy Cole - pundit
Ince - had six jobs
Collymore - Media career
Jenas - Media
Keith Curle - Manager

You aren't seeing any barriers 😂

Most of those jobs aren't in the UK.

Back