Keeping Tenancy Deposit For Petty Reasons

Kenna

Striker
Past caring at this point as I'm glad we are rid of our negligent landlords who refuse to fix mould, damp and mushrooms growing out of our ceiling.

However as an extra kick in the balls they've kept £150 of our deposit to pay for a cleaner to clean the house after sending us pictures of some dust on top of the cooker's hood and on top of the cupboards. It's pretty laughable to be honest and I'm genuinely just glad to be away from the twats tbh.

What other petty reasons have people on here been screwed out of deposits for?

Planted some plants in the border that ‘had to be removed’.

That was the letting agents decision. I contacted the landlord directly and she had a word with the letting agents about it. The money was returned.

A friend of mine moved in a rented house and redecorated throughout every year. Got told to put it back as it was
This is the reason I expected them to be arsey over tbh, we left some nails in the odd wall for decorations but they seemingly don't care about that, just the dust :lol:
Fill the locks with superglue when you leave :D
Already gone, tempted to return to do shit like this though ;)

Last edited:
You should be able to contest it.
I assume deposit was out into a proper protected scheme? If so you should be notified by them of anything being taken from deposit and reasons why and you can contest through them.
If it wasn't in a proper deposit scheme your landlord is screwed.
Inform him you will report him unless he returns the money.
It's a massive fine for landlord if deposit is not registered properly.

Was it not in the tenancy that you had to pay for professional cleaners before vacating? It so, I'm assuming you already did this and you've been stung out of extra?

You should be able to contest it.
I assume deposit was out into a proper protected scheme? If so you should be notified by them of anything being taken from deposit and reasons why and you can contest through them.
If it wasn't in a proper deposit scheme your landlord is screwed.
Inform him you will report him unless he returns the money.
It's a massive fine for landlord if deposit is not registered properly.
I doubt it, we rented directly with them and not through an agent, our tenancy was a generic one they found online, even had some of the (Insert Address Here) and (Insert Name Here) stuff left on here and there, they didn't want a direct debit and preferred us transfer the money ourselves each month, everything about them has screamed dodgy since we got there tbh and when problems cropped up it was even more dodgy. We've went through an agent this time so fingers crossed things are done by the book now.

Past caring at this point as I'm glad we are rid of our negligent landlords who refuse to fix mould, damp and mushrooms growing out of our ceiling.

However as an extra kick in the balls they've kept £150 of our deposit to pay for a cleaner to clean the house after sending us pictures of some dust on top of the cooker's hood and on top of the cupboards. It's pretty laughable to be honest and I'm genuinely just glad to be away from the twats tbh.

What other petty reasons have people on here been screwed out of deposits for?
If it doesnt get you into any legal issues, you should name and shame them as the next tennants will have the shoddy treatment aswell. No doubt it wasnt cheap renting from them as theyll have a legal duty to ensure the house being fit to live in. Mould has a bad affect on health so theyre responsible to put that right

Last edited:
I doubt it, we rented directly with them and not through an agent, our tenancy was a generic one they found online, even had some of the (Insert Address Here) and (Insert Name Here) stuff left on here and there, they didn't want a direct debit and preferred us transfer the money ourselves each month, everything about them has screamed dodgy since we got there tbh and when problems cropped up it was even more dodgy. We've went through an agent this time so fingers crossed things are done by the book now.
Do some Google search for landlord deposit fibre.
Send him on that information and tell him you want your money back or you will be reporting him.
If you get no joy report the tosser and you will get your coin back.

Whole point of the deposit scheme is to stop crap like this.

Send him on that information and tell him you want your money back or you will be reporting him.

This. I'd ask for it back with a mildly threatening legal email.

Planted some plants in the border that ‘had to be removed’.

That was the letting agents decision. I contacted the landlord directly and she had a word with the letting agents about it. The money was returned.
My lass lost a $1000 security deposit because she trimmed back some bushes and planted some flowers, her lease stated no modifications could be made without prior written approval.

I took £500 off the previous tenant as the house stank of smoke.
He said he never Smoked in the house always in the garden. Aye reeto.
He appealed and they only let me keep £200 off him.
Cost me £600 for a deep clean, including carpets and curtains and some new paint where it had gone brown where he sat in the living room.
Some tenants are terrible, but most are good people but never look after a house like it's a home.

Step son had this and used a no win no fee ambulance chaser to go after the landlord as the deposit wasn't protected. It's a black and white offence pretty much nothing to lose by going after them

Have had a quick google of this after you mentioned it and I think I might refer them to it then see what happens, the £150 is pretty minor at this point it's just the cherry on top of the cake of the shit they've put us through to be honest, as I said, we are just happy to be gone.

Back