Keeping off the drink.

Pal of mine drinks with the same group of lads every Sunday afternoon in one of the boozers in concord. Horse racing and cards every week. One of the blokes and he must be in his sixties, got to be around 30 clem sups 25-30 pints of fosters. No one goes rounds with him. My mate says he literally drinks 3 pints to his 1 🤣🤣
He's lucky he's still alive being that big. He would be nackered if he drank proper beer.

After work we normally go for a few beers every day, normally 4 or 5 San Miguels, Friday and Saturday we drink a lot more, probably 14 or 15. I never get hang overs if I drink beer, if I drink wine or spirits then I do, so I make a rule never to touch them.

Everything can be ok in moderation.
That seems like a lot - what size of beer? I think even as a smaller measure it wouldn’t be called moderation. Not having a go, just concerned.

After work we normally go for a few beers every day, normally 4 or 5 San Miguels, Friday and Saturday we drink a lot more, probably 14 or 15. I never get hang overs if I drink beer, if I drink wine or spirits then I do, so I make a rule never to touch them.

Everything can be ok in moderation.

Not getting hangovers after that much beer isn't a good sign btw.

Last edited:
i wouldn't believe a word he says there mate ,anyone having that much over a prolonged period of time would already be in the morgue imo there
He's drinking three pints a day through the week and six or seven on a weekend. It's certainly more than some drink but I'm not sure that it's enough to put you in a morgue.

Back when I was a young un, quite literally almost everybody I knew and worked with drank more than that. I worked in the shipyards in the 80s and half of the workforce would go to the club for three or four pints in their dinner hour and then be back on the tools on the afternoon. 😳

Met @WillInSpain earlier in the season to watch the match. He sank a few but it didn't seem excessive and he was perfectly lucid. Don't quite get the abuse he's taken on here.

Hardly touch a drop these days, Prefer waking up feeling refreshed and going out for a walk with the bairn whos just turned 1.

I say waking up refreshed- I hardly sleep 🤣 but at least im not rough.

Used to work continental shifts before I moved up Scotland, and literally spent 3 of my 4 day hammered, and then all of a sudden your back at work with 48 hours to go- rinse and repeat.

I've noticed my mental health is always in a stronger position without the drink, for me its not even the day after that bothers me.. I can accept a bad 24 hours its worth it... but it would genuinely last a week, I don't mean the hangover feeling.. but I mean the feeling really down for a week sometimes even two.

And I dont wanna not be the best I can be around my son, so the sensible decision is to just keep away.

Been pissed once this year on a works do, and the useual dark feelings sharp came back, anxious and depressed.

So f*ck it! :D

Due to health troubles, I can have a few drinks on a night out but not go overboard. Im fortunate in that respect.

I'd probably find cutting it out altogether fairly easy.

i wouldn't believe a word he says there mate ,anyone having that much over a prolonged period of time would already be in the morgue imo there
The liver is a remarkable organ and like the fella who smoked 40 fags a day for 70 years and had lungs as clear as a sunny day some individuals can cope with vast amounts of alcohol and die of old age!Sadly you wouldn't know until its probably to late so everything in moderation is the best way to like your life and if the point where you start not getting hangovers after a heavy session would be a red flag to me to slow down a bit.

Well done, bet you feel great for it.
Cheers, I do. When I stopped, never thought I would go this long. In my mind I said three months but decided to keep going. In that time I have endured many events and occasions where drinking would have been the norm, including a family death, Christmas, leaving a job, flying, foreign holiday, concerts and comedy nights etc. Things I never thought I could 'do' sober.

Back