Keeping off the drink.

15 months now. Started off with the non alcoholic beers. Soon have that up and when I’m out just drink sparkling water and treat myself to a coke now and then. Miss a pint every now and then, but found it incredibly easy to do. Know that’s not the case for some, and it can be very hard. I had a reason to do it though which I think helped. Love waking up every day not absolutely hanging, then rinse and repeat.
If anyone wants to do it and needs any support just drop me a DM

Just knocked it on the head altogether start of 2019 and absolutely the bit in bold resonates with me.

I haven’t fallen back into my old ways but I’ve had a drink in the house this weekend. A couple (4) cans on Friday night after a shit week which I shouldn’t have had. I was so tired it just made me feel sick and a couple (6 little ones) last night and I feel great this morning. I didn’t sleep well on either night too which left me shattered on Saturday. I’ve lost about 4kg but 2 holes on the belt and better generally. We are doing up a house so I’m guessing I would be shattered anyway but it’s not the alcohol that’s making me tired.
In another note, I’ve never spent so little coin.
I do think I’ve changed my ways but it would be very easy to go back to those ways but I don’t like that relationship I had with it but only the way it made me feel.

For me ( early days I know) but I woke up one morning and thought “ this is stupid “ and I changed my behaviour.
I guess it’s the same as any behaviour, you and only you need to o change your way of doing things .
I’m not preaching by the way.

What time would you manage if you didn’t drink?
In early 2004 it was approaching the end of the football season and we went over to the West Indies for 2 test matches. We drank loads and when we got back I eased right up for a few months. In that time I played better football, cycled better for longer distances and faster and I do feel my fitness massively improved.
I’ve watched and read stories about players like Tony Adams, Gazza and the likes who drank and played at the very top level whilst drunk and drinking heavily. Imagine how good Gazza or George Best could have been if they lived a lifestyle like Ronaldo?
Fat Ronaldo?

I gave up the drink completely for 11 years, from 2008 to 2019.
I had a long term illness which included liver damage (not drink related) so I decided to stop drinking alcohol.
I gave up the drink and never missed it at all.
Only when I'd recovered from my illness in 2019, did I go back on the drink, though only drinking the occasional shandy.

These days, I only tend to drink on a home match day, and only have 2 or 3 pints at the most, all day.

Will never give the drink up it is part of a night out with my mates and the rowdier gigs are enhanced an awful lot by booze.
I rarely drink at home unless we have guests. If I’m on my own or with missus a couple at most. I can go out to certain gigs and with certain people and not drink so it’s all good. I’ve only had good times with the booze and even the day after is a doddle now. Life is much enhanced and more enjoyable with a few sessions in it.

Will never give the drink up it is part of a night out with my mates and the rowdier gigs are enhanced an awful lot by booze.
I rarely drink at home unless we have guests. If I’m on my own or with missus a couple at most. I can go out to certain gigs and with certain people and not drink so it’s all good. I’ve only had good times with the booze and even the day after is a doddle now. Life is much enhanced and more enjoyable with a few sessions in it.
Makes me wonder how much some people on here were drinking on multiple weekdays to wake up every morning with hangovers so bad it impaired their ability to function normally. Or possibly, what they were drinking to get into that state.

Makes me wonder how much some people on here were drinking on multiple weekdays to wake up every morning with hangovers so bad it impaired their ability to function normally. Or possibly, what they were drinking to get into that state.
I can see how it is done. I have friends who drink loads but luckily I grew out of drinking at home. I used to have a few when the bairn was little and my thirst for it was a lot stronger when I was younger. Now it’s just used to enhance a night out or for a couple of glasses of wine every now and then.

After work we normally go for a few beers every day, normally 4 or 5 San Miguels, Friday and Saturday we drink a lot more, probably 14 or 15. I never get hang overs if I drink beer, if I drink wine or spirits then I do, so I make a rule never to touch them.

Everything can be ok in moderation.

I used to self medicate with drink for my illness, I can say its quite easy to get to the point your hanging most days.

Its took years to knock it down to a social level, I want to give it up and I sometimes do for months at a time, but its like its in grained in me to have a drink now and then, I try to limit it and my goal is one day to never need a drink again.

I used to self medicate with drink for my illness, I can say its quite easy to get to the point your hanging most days.

Its took years to knock it down to a social level, I want to give it up and I sometimes do for months at a time, but its like its in grained in me to have a drink now and then, I try to limit it and my goal is one day to never need a drink again.
Need? That’s a strong word. If you need it, surely that’s the motivation to not have it?
Want and need are obviously 2 very different emotions

I never get hang overs if I drink beer, if I drink wine or spirits then I do, so I make a rule never to touch them.
I figured out the very same thing myself many moons ago.

Spirits and me are not a good combination. When I do go out for a drink, it's lager and/or light ales all the way for me now. Might be a bit woolly-headed the next morning but no thumping headaches or feeling nauseous and anxious. Strong cup of coffee, a solid (or not so solid, as the case may be) sh!te and a vitamin C tablet dissolved in water and I'm good to go. Missus does the driving though, just to be on the safe side.
I can see how it is done. I have friends who drink loads but luckily I grew out of drinking at home. I used to have a few when the bairn was little and my thirst for it was a lot stronger when I was younger. Now it’s just used to enhance a night out or for a couple of glasses of wine every now and then.
I can relate to that - as mentioned on an earlier post, I hardly ever drink in the house now. Friday night out with my mates and the odd Saturday with the missus is my limit now.

I know it's hardly a big deal but I just had two weeks off as I was in Saudi for work. I drink every weekend in some capacity. Didn't miss it one bit and had a great time. Came back and got rat arsed watching the 6 nations. Definitely an advert for giving it up or at least cutting down on it

Back