Keeping a large garden in check

Old carpet or sheeting over the areas you want to kill. Big deliberate wildlife area, maybe a pond. Job done. Don’t rotavate if it’s full of weeds though, every bit of chopped root will be a new weed in a matter of weeks.
Let it go wild. Then add an old settee or two, a knackered electric cooker (it must be electric), and as many old car parts and tyres as you can find.
There you go. Landscaping on the cheap.
Sounds like the allotment I used to have. Found a pit full of fuck knows what chemicals under the shed!

Last edited:

Does it mulch the grass to the point there’s no lines of cuttings once it’s done? My mower leaves great piles of cuttings if I don’t put the back box on, although it is a bit faster to cut this way.
It cuts tiny amounts off each day and it goes back to the ground, and ends up as plant food. You dont get "cuttings" in the sense that you see dead grass.

Mind, you can buy mulching mowers that chop the grass up more finely that yours sounds like it does. Its probably better for the lawn long term than boxing and removing.

Robot is a good way, but sounds like you need to fix the whole thing first.

At least half of that £20k will be in the landscaper’s back pocket. Scandalous prices they quote
About a third I'd guess as we bought a lot of the stuff ourselves (Furniture, plants, lighting, tables etc) and paid him just for sandstone, the sleepers and the labour

Advice appreciated.

Currently renovating a property with a large garden that we are moving into shortly.
Spending all my time working on the house but keeping the garden in check is killing me.

Weed killer application took me hours and was a complete bust frankly.
Using a strimmer and lawn mower takes me two days and it's back in three weeks.
Thinking of a rotavator to just turn the soil, though no idea long that will take to do?
Happy to spend a few bob on a machine that will save me.
Get a 5 litre bottle of gallop off eBay and a sprayer from screw fix mix with water if you just spray the whole thing with that it will be like ground zero in a few weeks can’t see how it’s took your hours don’t bother with the little spray bottles and supermarket stuff

To be honest, a lot "experts" would tell you to do nothing to it for the first year, to let things just grow. You never know what will turn up, and it would be a shame to damage anything worth keeping. Just keep an eye on things and put down markers where to good stuff is.

Advice appreciated.

Currently renovating a property with a large garden that we are moving into shortly.
Spending all my time working on the house but keeping the garden in check is killing me.

Weed killer application took me hours and was a complete bust frankly.
Using a strimmer and lawn mower takes me two days and it's back in three weeks.
Thinking of a rotavator to just turn the soil, though no idea long that will take to do?
Happy to spend a few bob on a machine that will save me.
Flymo robot lawnmower is probably the best appliance I’ve ever bought

Get a 5 litre bottle of gallop off eBay and a sprayer from screw fix mix with water if you just spray the whole thing with that it will be like ground zero in a few weeks can’t see how it’s took your hours don’t bother with the little spray bottles and supermarket stuff
Cheers, reading reviews and while apparently slow to work, nothing grows for months after.
I have a back pack pump sprayer thing, horribly heavy when full and takes around half a dozen full tanks to do the land, but if I only have to do it once to get through this year, I'll have time next year to cultivate it properly.

The roundup I used last time was bloody worthless, killed about 20%, the rest thrived.

We moved to our current house due to the privacy and garden.
Whilst it takes time to maintain to be fair I enjoy it and has been a god send since Covid.
Never thought I would turn into a gardener but built dry stone walls, seeded lawns, planted shrubs and trees. It’s like a little nature reserve and cracking to see all sorts of animals and birds visit.
Sad bastard I know but age comes to us all.

Cheers, reading reviews and while apparently slow to work, nothing grows for months after.
I have a back pack pump sprayer thing, horribly heavy when full and takes around half a dozen full tanks to do the land, but if I only have to do it once to get through this year, I'll have time next year to cultivate it properly.

The roundup I used last time was bloody worthless, killed about 20%, the rest thrived.
Honest mate mine was like a jungle when we bought the house once over with that and it was just a flat patch of dust after a few weeks it kills everything in its path wear a mask tho don’t waste your time with roundup and that and make sure it’s not windy or all your neighbours garden will be dead too

Last edited:
Honest mate mine was like a jungle when we bought the house once over with that and it was just a flat patch of dust after a few weeks it kills everything in its path wear a mask tho don’t waste your time with roundup and that and make sure it’s not windy or all your neighbours garden will be dead too

Mask, no wind. :cool:

Back