Keeping a large garden in check

Same here. I found I can’t get other jobs done because the grass cutting is taking so long. There were a couple of gardeners doing a neighbour, so I have decided to try getting them to do the grass for a few months while I donthe rest.

Part of the problem is we go to the caravan most weekends which ties in with the grass cutting season. I have a very brief window on a Friday between finishing work, cutting the grass and leaving. That and the bin is emptied on a Friday so I can’t do anything until the following once it’s emptied.

It’s a lovely big space but it’s also an anchor to an extent.

Bought a new build 2 years ago. Battled for ages with the developer about the lack of drainage. Got nowhere, decided to get it landscaped anyway. £20k later, the developer insisted on rotovating the remaining lawn (we hadn't touched the lawn, just added new patios/borders etc). Now the instagram garden looks like the somme whilst I wait for these ***** to come and lay new turf

Bought a new build 2 years ago. Battled for ages with the developer about the lack of drainage. Got nowhere, decided to get it landscaped anyway. £20k later, the developer insisted on rotovating the remaining lawn (we hadn't touched the lawn, just added new patios/borders etc). Now the instagram garden looks like the somme whilst I wait for these ***** to come and lay new turf

£20k is some instagram garden! What did you get done?

£20k is some instagram garden! What did you get done?
2 x sandstone patios, sleeper borders, pergola, garden sofa, bespoke dining table, 2 x muskoka chairs and all the plants in the world plus the usual peripherals (lighting, clocks, cushions, storage boxes, hanging baskets etc)

Advice appreciated.

Currently renovating a property with a large garden that we are moving into shortly.
Spending all my time working on the house but keeping the garden in check is killing me.

Weed killer application took me hours and was a complete bust frankly.
Using a strimmer and lawn mower takes me two days and it's back in three weeks.
Thinking of a rotavator to just turn the soil, though no idea long that will take to do?
Happy to spend a few bob on a machine that will save me.
2 days to cut? Where do you live? Richmond Park? Fuck me

We looked at robot lawn mowers but they don’t manage slopes very well apparently. But worth a shot?

Have you thought about wilding some of it? We have a patch that has been down with wildflowers and we literally just cut it back once a year in the winter.

Or a gardener. Even if it’s once a month to do your lawn and weed then you can do the rest.

How big is big?

2 x sandstone patios, sleeper borders, pergola, garden sofa, bespoke dining table, 2 x muskoka chairs and all the plants in the world plus the usual peripherals (lighting, clocks, cushions, storage boxes, hanging baskets etc)
Weve just paid for a 4x8 metre patio with sleepers for just under 3k. Can i ask why do you need a clock in the garden

Advice appreciated.

Currently renovating a property with a large garden that we are moving into shortly.
Spending all my time working on the house but keeping the garden in check is killing me.

Weed killer application took me hours and was a complete bust frankly.
Using a strimmer and lawn mower takes me two days and it's back in three weeks.
Thinking of a rotavator to just turn the soil, though no idea long that will take to do?
Happy to spend a few bob on a machine that will save me.
I feel your pain. My garden is big, doesn't sound as big as yours mind and I hate gardening. I've got a petrol self propelled lawn mower and it takes me about 2 hours to do front and back every week. That's before starting on hedges, borders, weeding etc.
I've got conifers going all round the back on four sides which would total probably 100 metres which I would love to get rid of but can't afford to.

Invest in robot mower. It will cut every day... Drift around... Chomping . Id it's secure sling a couple of goats in.. and I'm being serious on that bit

Does it mulch the grass to the point there’s no lines of cuttings once it’s done? My mower leaves great piles of cuttings if I don’t put the back box on, although it is a bit faster to cut this way.

Last edited:
Does it mulch the grass to the point there’s no lines of cuttings once it’s done? My mower leave great piles of cuttings if I don’t put the back box on, although it is a bit faster to cut this way.
Robot ones because they do it often the mulching is tiny.. friends have one and they have a good size garden and reckon. Eat investment they have ever done... Said the grass is the best it has ever looked as it is constatly cut..

They love watching tj too. Sad as it is . Wires in the ground for it.. don't think it was cheap though

Main issue for me would be the potential dog shite mayhem

Last edited:
Weve just paid for a 4x8 metre patio with sleepers for just under 3k. Can i ask why do you need a clock in the garden
I don't need a clock. I wanted a clock. It's a large garden and the 2 patios are pretty big too - that's where the majority of the expense went

Back