Keep feeding those birds during the snowy weather

It's really interesting that birds who you would never associate with our climate seem perfectly happy here.

I know nothing about birds (the feathered kind and probably the non feathered kind too) but I was reading something the other week about a small pocket of parrots maybe early 80s appearing and breeding in one tree in London and then apparently they've spread into several pockets throughout the country now. Mental seeing something like that in the UK and it being normal, not an escapee.

Back onto the thread as I've just stumbled accross it- pretty much fat balls out for me, anything else and the squirrels just decimate it.
I got to within 10ft of a Buzzard yesterday. It was sat on a branch about 6ft from the ground in my local woods and I got about 10 ft from it when it flew away. It looked small sitting there but once it opened its wings and flew it looked massive.

I regularly see various bird of prey in the woods behind our house and when I'm out on my bike down here (around Doncaster area, often around the various wetlands) but not always sure of what I'm seeing.

Common train of thought with many is Buzzards or Harris Hawks - I do see a lot of smaller ones, but occasionally stumble accross something quite big.

I'm quite interested in what I'm seeing these days but have little knowledge of them.

Last edited:
I know nothing about birds (the feathered kind and probably the non feathered kind too) but I was reading something the other week about a small pocket of parrots maybe early 80s appearing and breeding in one tree in London and then apparently they've spread into several pockets throughout the country now. Mental seeing something like that in the UK and it being normal, not an escapee.

Back onto the thread as I've just stumbled accross it- pretty much fat balls out for me, anything else and the squirrels just decimate it.

There's actually a colony of Parakeets in Backhouse Park in Sunderland. Personally I think it's a real treat to see them but I appreciate some think they distort the natural ecosystem.

There's actually a colony of Parakeets in Backhouse Park in Sunderland. Personally I think it's a real treat to see them but I appreciate some think they distort the natural ecosystem.

It could well be parakeets I was reading about (like I said I have very little knowledge of birds!).

The first couple of days after putting suet pellets, peanuts and seed feeder up as well as seeds on a table and on the ground there was little or no activity then on day three, it was Hitchcock galore. Now I`m topping everything up daily. Great to see those feathered beauties in the garden although I think the two fat pigeons are scoffing most of the seeds.

Great pictures. Where were these taken? How long did it take to gain the trust of the birds?
It's taken a month of hard weather mick, fed daily, thick snow on the ground,in Canada, the ones I want on my hands are cardinals and blue Jay's, both come to feed but are super wary.
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
My sister was in Antigua last week in 30 degree sunshine and sent me a pic of a hummingbird, I was freezing my nuts off in -14,i was envious 🥶
I get a lot of birds in my garden, nothing rare or exotic but I'm surrounded by woodland and fields so I get a few seasonal visitors and the British regulars. This time of year I get a bunch of redwing settle on old fallen apples till they're gone.
They're all good to see, from the smallest wren to the hawks. The herons piss me off though :lol:

Back