Keel Square Hotel

Did said search & all coming up job no longer available.

According to @Hep this 'Keel Square' doesnt exist & is all just a figment of our immagination :lol::lol:
Keel square is a large pavement- as I said in the last post, both world wars took less time than the council have managed to move a road, build a square (pavement) and half build an unoccupied office block.

It's now 2019.

On this note, the council made the direct promise of a date ("before the end of 2018") and failed to follow through with it.

I assumed, wrongly, that work was starting in September 2018. It didn't happen.

It's often been posted that Sunderland Council don't even know what day it is, never mind which year.

I think its a great idea but unfortunately the design is again very boxy. I'm not sure it will age well and looks a bit 1970s. Also I'm left wondering how many hotel rooms Sunderland needs with the travel lodge, premier inn, and the Hilton. But.. It's massively better then what's there now.

I think its a great idea but unfortunately the design is again very boxy. I'm not sure it will age well and looks a bit 1970s. Also I'm left wondering how many hotel rooms Sunderland needs with the travel lodge, premier inn, and the Hilton. But.. It's massively better then what's there now.
Agree about the design but I'm sure there is a good idea about demand because of bookings for other hotels and a need to provide a higher star service for people coming to see shows at the Empire and the planned music venue if that's still going ahead?

That seems to be the in thing atm. Have a look at what gets nominated for the Stirling prize every year.

when is it due to be up and running?

any plans to pull idols etc down? looks an absolute dump
January mate. Tbf they didn’t say which. Not the councils fault. It’ll be, 2 minutes while I get my bumper book of Sunderland council excuses out........
Contractors
Weather
Nesting birds
Economic climate
Private investment
Traffic
Other projects
The tories
Brexit
Nissan
Oh and my favourite.

The popularity of another great council project as slowed this one down.

Of course it’s all in my opinion. If you read back through the thread you will see in 2017 I discussed this at great lengths.

January mate. Tbf they didn’t say which. Not the councils fault. It’ll be, 2 minutes while I get my bumper book of Sunderland council excuses out........
Contractors
Weather
Nesting birds
Economic climate
Private investment
Traffic
Other projects
The tories
Brexit
Nissan
Oh and my favourite.

The popularity of another great council project as slowed this one down.

Of course it’s all in my opinion. If you read back through the thread you will see in 2017 I discussed this at great lengths.

Is it owt to do with the council? I thowt it was a private development, only thing the council did was give planning permission.

Hotel chains don't stick a pin in a map and build new hotels in places they're not needed. Maybe there is no demand and that's why it's not up, but to have bothered getting this far they'll have put plenty of time and money into research and planning, which would suggest otherwise.

I saw an article the other day about two new hotels planned for Newcastle city centre. There's already quite a few there, although nobody had pointed that out in the comments. Strange.

Last edited:
Really frustrating that there's no movement on this like, the job advert for a project manager for it was up at the back end of last year so I thought we may have heard something about start date by now.

Is it owt to do with the council? I thowt it was a private development, only thing the council did was give planning permission.
Read the thread. It’s like I can see into the future!!!
Oh and when you do, reply to all the WDSC posts and say it has nowt to do with them.
Read my post. I say it’s not the councils fault and listed the excuses. And you pop straight in with one. Haha.
Everything that happens building/investment wise in this city involves the council mate. Just like selling land to Next so they can bank it. But you know that. Do you not think hotels are banking land in city centres where millions are getting spent in the hope it works? A small outlay edging their bets. No doubt Vaux being delayed had a hand in the hotel being delayed. The Vaux site thread is the same. My crystal ball still works.

Read the thread. It’s like I can see into the future!!!
Oh and when you do, reply to all the WDSC posts and say it has nowt to do with them.
Read my post. I say it’s not the councils fault and listed the excuses. And you pop straight in with one. Haha.
Everything that happens building/investment wise in this city involves the council mate. Just like selling land to Next so they can bank it. But you know that. Do you not think hotels are banking land in city centres where millions are getting spent in the hope it works? A small outlay edging their bets. No doubt Vaux being delayed had a hand in the hotel being delayed. The Vaux site thread is the same. My crystal ball still works.

Just your usual tedious going-round-in-circles drivel.

Just your usual tedious going-round-in-circles drivel.

The difference between Sunderland and Newcastle councils seems marked - one gets things done and one doesn't.

Indeed, I reckon that Sunderland council were probably happy when Vaux closed because they couldn't then be asked to prove that they could organise a p*ss up in a brewery!!

The difference between Sunderland and Newcastle councils seems marked - one gets things done and one doesn't.

Indeed, I reckon that Sunderland council were probably happy when Vaux closed because they couldn't then be asked to prove that they could organise a p*ss up in a brewery!!
Agree to a point. However, Newcastle gets £millions of private investment as it is a ready made market and investors can be pretty assured of a return on their investment as the infrastructure, footfall, etc is already in place. Private investment in Sunderland is a bit of a jump into the unknown as investors know they may experience little return in the short term (if at all) until footfall in the city picks up at some point in the future.

It's telling that the architecture of the 60s and 70s tends to get knocked down now. Brutalist buildings were supposed to be utopian but ended up dystopian. We're going back to the future.....err I mean past!

Back