Keano in talks for azerbaijan job

Azerbaijan probably does have potential to be a decent little footballing nation.

They’re pissing in oil, the conflict with Armenia doesn’t show any signs of erupting again anytime soon in open warfare, Baku has attracted all sorts of investment and they have a population more than double the Republic of Ireland.

It could be a chance for him to get them into a qualifying play off or something in the Nations League and be an Azeri legend. But I just don’t think he has the temperament. He will. Well. Quit.

While escalation is unlikely it’s still tense out Artsakh* way. It really depends on wider geo-political events. Armenia and Russia are obviously cosy, Azerbaijan with their Turkish chums. That’s a flashpoint right there.

Azerbaijan is a highly corrupt country, a quasher of press freedom (ranked 126 out of 179 in the world in 2019 for these two factors) and a de facto dictatorship. All these kinds of things – inc the F1 Grand Prix, various world championships being held there – is a classic example of using sport to launder your reputation.

All earlier joking aside, appointing Keano would be another example of that. Mind you, he’d earn a king’s ransom – if principles can be tossed to the kerb.

*that’s Nagorno-Karabakh to the rest of the world – went there last year, bloody beautiful place

While escalation is unlikely it’s still tense out Artsakh* way. It really depends on wider geo-political events. Armenia and Russia are obviously cosy, Azerbaijan with their Turkish chums. That’s a flashpoint right there.

Azerbaijan is a highly corrupt country, a quasher of press freedom (ranked 126 out of 179 in the world in 2019 for these two factors) and a de facto dictatorship. All these kinds of things – inc the F1 Grand Prix, various world championships being held there – is a classic example of using sport to launder your reputation.

All earlier joking aside, appointing Keano would be another example of that. Mind you, he’d earn a king’s ransom – if principles can be tossed to the kerb.

*that’s Nagorno-Karabakh to the rest of the world – went there last year, bloody beautiful place

Interested in your Nagorno Karabakh crack mate.

Why did you go?
How did you go? Visas airports etc?
What did you do when you were there?
Are you still able to visit Azerbaijan and other Turkic countries?
How tense was the situation? I thought as it was Armenian occupied and overwhelmingly Armenian populated itd be OK with the status quo? Or is there more Azeris than I think there is?

By all means PM me 😉

Back