What about the 2 potential reds in the first 15 mins?

If it had been roles reversed he 100% would have sent Catts AND Maguire off. Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. Total homer. Me and the lads said after their 2 yellows he'd be itching to book our players to even things up. Did exactly that at the first opportunity.

Thought the ref was excellent possibly the best we have had this season

Gravy

Vaughan just been booked then smashes Ovs in the back of the heid AFTER he's played the ball back ring if John! And that's a talking too not a yellow? Please do fuck off ref.
But he booked Maguire for SLIPPING OVER and falling into their player. Then said it was an accumulation of fouls?
Never a card that vaughn foul , push in the back notvthe head re

Never a card that vaughn foul , push in the back notvthe head re

After he's played the ball, he wasn't going so fast that he couldn't slow down and it was a DELIBERATE foul because he'd lost the ball. Jug eared ****. Was too hyped up because he wanted to score against us and lost it.

So you missed the two reds; one on Catts and the other on Maguire 1st half and Vaughans on Oviedio 2nd half?

See above. Both of those decisions would have been red of it had been the opposite way around.

They both could (should ?) have been reds but they were both in the first 10 mins of a massive game. The ref was probably right to go with yellows.
I agree the gooch freekick was weird and the foul on big John was missed but other than that I thought he was very good in what must have been a horrible match to referee with all the dark arts in display.

After he's played the ball, he wasn't going so fast that he couldn't slow down and it was a DELIBERATE foul because he'd lost the ball. Jug eared ****. Was too hyped up because he wanted to score against us and lost it.

Not sure it warranted a second yellow. Daft foul and wasted his own time.

They both could (should ?) have been reds but they were both in the first 10 mins of a massive game. The ref was probably right to go with yellows.
I agree the gooch freekick was weird and the foul on big John was missed but other than that I thought he was very good in what must have been a horrible match to referee with all the dark arts in display.

Not sure it warranted a second yellow. Daft foul and wasted his own time.

By the rules of the game they were both red. The Catts one in particular. If he'd connected with studs he'd have ripped his face open. It was a perfect opportunity for the ref to put his stamp on the game and tell Jacket and his lads he wasn't putting up with their shit. Instead he bottled it. Their player was 1. High. 2. Out of control 3. Studs showing 4. Off the ground. Each one of these was grounds for a red by the laws of the game but combined was clearly a red.
Maguire was two yellows at least. Kicked out off the ball (red really) and then throwing the ball off his head. Right in front of the lineo too. Bottled it. Then to add insult to injury he went out of his way to find a reason to even up the bookings.

If it had been the other way on the Safc player would have been sent off without a doubt.
This 100%

By the rules of the game they were both red. The Catts one in particular. If he'd connected with studs he'd have ripped his face open. It was a perfect opportunity for the ref to put his stamp on the game and tell Jacket and his lads he wasn't putting up with their shit. Instead he bottled it. Their player was 1. High. 2. Out of control 3. Studs showing 4. Off the ground. Each one of these was grounds for a red by the laws of the game but combined was clearly a red.
Maguire was two yellows at least. Kicked out off the ball (red really) and then throwing the ball off his head. Right in front of the lineo too. Bottled it. Then to add insult to injury he went out of his way to find a reason to even up the bookings.

This 100%

I don’t totally disagree . I just think the refs have to use a bit of common sense ....given the occasion etc.
On the whole I thought he managed the game and the occasion well. One of the better refs we’ve had this season, which I admit isn’t a huge endorsement.

I don’t totally disagree . I just think the refs have to use a bit of common sense ....given the occasion etc.
On the whole I thought he managed the game and the occasion well. One of the better refs we’ve had this season, which I admit isn’t a huge endorsement.

Get what your saying mate BUT if he'd had to make those decisions the other way he'd have pulled a red. No doubts at all. The fact they finished with 11 players and we had booking that were at best weak as piss tells it's own story.

Naylor should have been sent off. Shocking decision. Vaughan also.

That was bizarre.
I agree that Naylor could have walked but understand why the ref was lenient (my fear was that he was going to send Maguire off in the same incident for a kick out as he was going down), it was a highly charged game which could have ended up 5 a side if he had set his stall out that early. Don't agree about Vaughan, it's a contact sport and Flanagan did similar every corner we had.
It's all about opinions, I prefer football to flow and to get that the ref needs to allow a bit more physicality, I thought he had a good game.

So you missed the two reds; one on Catts and the other on Maguire 1st half and Vaughans on Oviedio 2nd half?

See above. Both of those decisions would have been red of it had been the opposite way around.
I agree that Naylor could have walked but understand why the ref was lenient (my fear was that he was going to send Maguire off in the same incident for a kick out as he was going down), it was a highly charged game which could have ended up 5 a side if he had set his stall out that early. Don't agree about Vaughan, it's a contact sport and Flanagan did similar every corner we had.
It's all about opinions, nor do I agree about the high boot on Cattermole, booking at worst. I prefer football to flow and to get that the ref needs to allow a bit more physicality, I thought he had a good game.

Last edited:
Didn’t think the ref was that bad tbh.
Tale of 2 halves for the ref I thought. A number of howlers in the first half (how is deliberately throwing the ball off an opponent’s head only a yellow card FFS) and I thought we did well to be 0-0 at half time against 12 men, but I thought he calmed down and did very well second half. Even the Vaughan incident was a sensible decision IMO - if he wasn’t already on a yellow then most of us wouldn’t have been bothered that the ref gave a foul and no card.

Whether you agree with it or not, throwing the ball at someone’s head is a red card.
I'm not sure that it is. The law states that for chucking the ball at a player, you have to use excessive force for it to be a red. There wasn't excessive force.
The Evans challenge was more of a red, as it was a challenge that endangered Cattermole's safety, but, there's no way the ref was sending him off so early in the game.

Tale of 2 halves for the ref I thought. A number of howlers in the first half (how is deliberately throwing the ball off an opponent’s head only a yellow card FFS) and I thought we did well to be 0-0 at half time against 12 men, but I thought he calmed down and did very well second half. Even the Vaughan incident was a sensible decision IMO - if he wasn’t already on a yellow then most of us wouldn’t have been bothered that the ref gave a foul and no card.
Because Law 12 says it is. Whether Law 12 needs to be amended is another question, but, that was a yellow card offence.

Last edited:
Apart from the vaughan second yellow i thought he was good. Generally didn't buy their shithousery and got the main decisions right I thought.

Back