Karate and Kung Fu

Donnie Darko

Goalkeeper
I was wondering if anybody on here new anything about martial arts . I’m thinking of joining a local club near to where I live but there seems to be a lot of choice and different styles in each. I’ve narrowed it down to that I want to do either karate or Kung fu but need a bit guidance on which style to pick wing chun, shotokan etc

Learn shotokan, it's what Lyoto Machieda does. I done it as a youth until I was about 14 and discovered lasses and drinking. Gave up at 2nd Kyu, 2 away from a black belt- wish I'd gained it tbh

I was wondering if anybody on here new anything about martial arts . I’m thinking of joining a local club near to where I live but there seems to be a lot of choice and different styles in each. I’ve narrowed it down to that I want to do either karate or Kung fu but need a bit guidance on which style to pick wing chun, shotokan etc
I did shotokan. Did it from 14-17 then got side tracked. Went back at 26, did another three years. Was training for second Dan when I got a back injury, tried to continue for about a year on and off but kept breaking down and it was interfering with work so gave it up as a bad job. Wish I could do it now, nothing like it . Try and get a Japanese influenced club if you can.

I did shotokan. Did it from 14-17 then got side tracked. Went back at 26, did another three years. Was training for second Dan when I got a back injury, tried to continue for about a year on and off but kept breaking down and it was interfering with work so gave it up as a bad job. Wish I could do it now, nothing like it . Try and get a Japanese influenced club if you can.
Awesome cheers marra. How would I know if it was Japanese influenced? And do they start teaching you stuff straight away in shotokan as in fighting techniques etc or is it a lot of theory involved?

Awesome cheers marra. How would I know if it was Japanese influenced? And do they start teaching you stuff straight away in shotokan as in fighting techniques etc or is it a lot of theory involved?
Ask who the senior organisation "sensie" is. I'm out of touch with who they will be now but they will have a Japanese karate association senior Japanese probably living in the UK.
Not a lot of theory involved but you won't fight for a good while, you need to learn how to stand move block and punch first then you practice individual movements against others of similar skill.
Learn the basics well, train hard fight easy as they say.

Kung fu is a way of life mate, Karate is a sport
That's why I advised him to seek a Japanese influenced school. I agree mui. Thai and especially MMA are more accessible effective street brawling styles from the off, karate is not that useful (with certainty) really until youre approaching a black belt at least and second Dan for best.
Having said that against an untrained bloke whose just aggressive and fancies his chances it will do the trick and with enough striking practice you should be able to develop enough focused force to shatter a cheek or take 4 teeth, which will discourage 90%. I could certainly break ribs with either hand back in the day (when only very few people were training) . Im happy if I can break step now and my hands are shagged . :lol:
The history and honour of such a thing is appealing I must say.
It's moving zen :cool:

Last edited:

Back