Karate and Kung Fu

Was hoping I'd see some names I would recognise on this thread at some point. I'm sure Frank Brennan graded me at some point and sure I trained under Enoida at one course or another. The Japanese just seemed to have such... presence. And their flexibility was outstanding.

You may have come across my dad at some point - was heavily involved with the club at Easington and the times you both trained will have overlapped.
I remember Brennan. He scared the pants off me. I'm trying to remember the lass who won the kumite championships. Christine something?
My memory is shite. I think it was Geoff Barwick when I was first there. Kawasoe graded me a couple times I think.

Last edited:
I was York based at the time but maybe came across him at tournaments or courses.
I’ve called them tonight and going to their class next Thursday so we’ll looking forward to it . I know I’m thinking way ahead here but with this type of school (Sendai at Eldon ) does it allow for training to compete in competitions fighting? Or is that the norm?

I’ve called them tonight and going to their class next Thursday so we’ll looking forward to it . I know I’m thinking way ahead here but with this type of school (Sendai at Eldon ) does it allow for training to compete in competitions fighting? Or is that the norm?
Yes it will do, you might get involved in local stuff quite early 6-9 months and then move on to bigger tournaments as desire and aptitude allows. Some guys are naturals at the free style side of things. We had a West Indian kid who only made green belt. He was lazy looking, couldn't do his basics for shit and the japs used to hound him, but he was about 18 stone, had really quick hands and had used them plenty. He surprised a lot of higher grades in competition. :lol:

Last edited:
Casual racism ahoy :eek:🥋;)
:lol: He had an islands way of being and was proud of it.
Didn't fit with the Japanese correctness but he was a hell of a unit with lighting hands for a big lad.
We were at his first tournament and he just threw a light and loose back fist at this kid who went down like a bag of hammers. We were all calling the kid telling him to get up as a spirit less cheat. When he did the whole side of his face was up like the elephant man. Some boy was Trev, he had that much mass you couldn't block him you just moved and hit him on the way past

I remember Brennan. He scared the pants off me. I'm trying to remember the lass who won the kumite championships. Christine something?
My memory is shite. I think it was Geoff Barwick when I was first there. Kawasoe graded me a couple times I think.

I trained predominantly under Geoff (fantastic guy - put a lot of effort into me) and Owen Murray (that metal arm knacked!).

I think I remember Christine too, short with dark hair? If I remember correctly her brother trained too and was good?

Wonder if our paths ever crossed? I trained there from c. 98 to around 04.

I trained predominantly under Geoff (fantastic guy - put a lot of effort into me) and Owen Murray (that metal arm knacked!).

I think I remember Christine too, short with dark hair? If I remember correctly her brother trained too and was good?

Wonder if our paths ever crossed? I trained there from c. 98 to around 04.
I think I just missed you. Owen was scary too. Would knack you in the first 5 minutes of training then keep going for the rest of the hour.

That sounds like her. Can't remember her brother.

How you getting on marra?

I was wondering if anybody on here new anything about martial arts . I’m thinking of joining a local club near to where I live but there seems to be a lot of choice and different styles in each. I’ve narrowed it down to that I want to do either karate or Kung fu but need a bit guidance on which style to pick wing chun, shotokan etc
Go to a boxing club...or if you’re a lass try foxy boxing

Aye just had a look. Looks OK. The sendai club in eldon Square looks fine too, Frank brennan is doing their grading. He's English but learned under sensie enoida and Steve cattle at the red triangle club in liverpool, they were the cream of British karate clubs in the 70's /80's when I was training . . Now an 8th Dan he won't be satisfied handing belts out to mugs for cash.
Frank Brennan, Steve Cattle and Enoida Sensei. Some great names from the past there.

Wasn't Alfie Lewis from the Red Triangle club as well ?

Frank Brennan, Steve Cattle and Enoida Sensei. Some great names from the past there.

Wasn't Alfie Lewis from the Red Triangle club as well ?
I knew Steve Cattle slightly , he was from York, started at my old clubs York shotokan then Kenshinkan. Steve was a proper fighter for all he looked like an accountant. I used to body build with his brother Colin in the late 70's.
Thought Alfie Lewis was from Wolverhampton way. Top fighter though.
Billy Higgins another top British karateka from that time, from Birmingham . Tikki Donovan, Andy Sherry of course.

Back