Karate and Kung Fu

That's why I advised him to seek a Japanese influenced school. I agree mui. Thai and especially MMA are more accessible effective street brawling styles from the off, karate is not that useful (with certainty) really until youre approaching a black belt at least and second Dan for best.
Having said that against an untrained bloke whose just aggressive and fancies his chances it will do the trick and with enough striking practice you should be able to develop enough focused force to shatter a cheek or take 4 teeth, which will discourage 90%. I could certainly break ribs with either hand back in the day (when only very few people were training) . Im happy if I can break step now and my hands are shagged . :lol:

It's moving zen :cool:

I’ve never had any interest in MMA grappling etc but always had a interest in karate or Kung fu but I’m gonna have a look for a Japanese based school in my area where I live and hopefully I can get started ASAP I’m well looking forward to it. Cheers for the advice marra

I’ve never had any interest in MMA grappling etc but always had a interest in karate or Kung fu but I’m gonna have a look for a Japanese based school in my area where I live and hopefully I can get started ASAP I’m well looking forward to it. Cheers for the advice marra
You will be lucky to find an actual Japanese instructor but the teacher at the school should be attached to one and the Japanese sensie will usually hold training courses for all to attend. Something to behold even for simple movements the top grade Japanese. I was lucky enough to be on courses of sensie kanazawa, probably the best in the world at one point. Such control and focus.

You should try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu man, it's f***ing amazing.
To be honest I’ve never gave it much thought at all and don’t know enough about it for some reason my internal system is directing me towards karate and wing chun . My dad did aikido for years and he wanted to get me into that but I was never interested in it
You will be lucky to find an actual Japanese instructor but the teacher at the school should be attached to one and the Japanese sensie will usually hold training courses for all to attend. Something to behold even for simple movements the top grade Japanese. I was lucky enough to be on courses of sensie kanazawa, probably the best in the world at one point. Such control and focus.
I’ve just had a look and found one near where I’m living and it’s affiliated with the japanese karate association and the other one is affiliated with the uk version so I’ll pick the japanese one

Last edited:
To be honest I’ve never gave it much thought at all and don’t know enough about it for some reason my internal system is directing me towards karate and wing chun . My dad did aikido for years and he wanted to get me into that but I was never interested in it

I’ve just had a look and found one near where I’m living and it’s affiliated with the japanese karate association and the other one is affiliated with the uk version so I’ll pick the japanese one
Where do you live?

I’m Living in Heaton Newcastle at the min mate apparently there is one at the college on west gate road
Aye just had a look. Looks OK. The sendai club in eldon Square looks fine too, Frank brennan is doing their grading. He's English but learned under sensie enoida and Steve cattle at the red triangle club in liverpool, they were the cream of British karate clubs in the 70's /80's when I was training . . Now an 8th Dan he won't be satisfied handing belts out to mugs for cash.

I've been doing BJJ for a year now man and it's the best thing I've ever done. It's also the hardest physically and mentally, but incredibly rewarding. I can't see how anyone wouldn't absolutely fall in love with it.

Aye just had a look. Looks OK. The sendai club in eldon Square looks fine too, Frank brennan is doing their grading. He's English but learned under sensie enoida and Steve cattle at the red triangle club in liverpool, they were the cream of British karate clubs in the 70's /80's when I was training . . Now an 8th Dan he won't be satisfied handing belts out to mugs for cash.

The Sendai Club has better hours for me so it might have to be that one if you think it will be any good but could do the one at west gate road but that would mean I would only be going once a week I fancy at least twice a week if that’s possible

The Sendai Club has better hours for me so it might have to be that one if you think it will be any good but could do the one at west gate road but that would mean I would only be going once a week I fancy at least twice a week if that’s possible
If Brennan is involved with sendai it will be kosha. It's just that you get these little start up clubs with no heritage that tend to get away from the traditions. Twice a week is good and once you're on your way decent clubs will encourage their students to visit other clubs of the same organisation. Sendai is kugb which is a big organisation so there will be other clubs around to visit and do weekend courses with.

Learn shotokan, it's what Lyoto Machieda does. I done it as a youth until I was about 14 and discovered lasses and drinking. Gave up at 2nd Kyu, 2 away from a black belt- wish I'd gained it tbh
Similar path to me. Got my black belt then got bored and found beer.

To the OP: It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want something effective if someone has a go at you, I'd probably look at kickboxing. boxing or jujitsu. That said, any martial art is great for fitness, and is better than learning nowt. So if that's the case, try a few, for a couple sessions and/or watch a few and see what you like the look of.

Misread the OP: After learning Karate I'd probably go with Wing Chun. Ip Man was cool as fuck.

Please don't do akido. You might as well try to learn the touch of death.
our instructor could floor you just by pressing on certain pressure points
This lad?

Last edited:

To the OP: It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want something effective if someone has a go at you, I'd probably look at kickboxing. boxing or jujitsu. That said, any martial art is great for fitness, and is better than learning nowt. So if that's the case, try a few, for a couple sessions and/or watch a few and see what you like the look of.

Misread the OP: After learning Karate I'd probably go with Wing Chun. Ip Man was cool as fuck.

This lad?
I’ve done bits of boxing in the past but it wasn’t for me I’ve never thought about kickboxing though . That was one of the reasons I wanted to do kung fu was because of that movie !!

This lad?
Is this karate?

Last edited:
I’ve done bits of boxing in the past but it wasn’t for me I’ve never thought about kickboxing though . That was one of the reasons I wanted to do kung fu was because of that movie !!

Is this karate?
Its just bullshit mate. If you have anyone ever say they can use pressure points to knock people out, walk away quickly. There's some quality videos if you look for martial art bullshit though.

Wait, are you asking if I did Karate? If so, yes. Went to Sendai actully as a young un.

Last edited:

Was hoping I'd see some names I would recognise on this thread at some point. I'm sure Frank Brennan graded me at some point and sure I trained under Enoida at one course or another. The Japanese just seemed to have such... presence. And their flexibility was outstanding.

You may have come across my dad at some point - was heavily involved with the club at Easington and the times you both trained will have overlapped.

Was hoping I'd see some names I would recognise on this thread at some point. I'm sure Frank Brennan graded me at some point and sure I trained under Enoida at one course or another. The Japanese just seemed to have such... presence. And their flexibility was outstanding.

You may have come across my dad at some point - was heavily involved with the club at Easington and the times you both trained will have overlapped.
I was York based at the time but maybe came across him at tournaments or courses.

Back