Just Stop Oil are back

Aye. It's important to choose your enemies and only support the cause/s with which you agree. Those twats that are scared about the destruction of the planet can just fuck off.

I've been actively involved in environmental causes all my adult life. I'll take no lectures from Just Stop Oil.

I happen to know one of their activists. She was privately educated, is the grand-daughter of a Lord, drives a VW, flies off skiing every winter and to the Med every summer, and in a discussion with me once ended up screaming that my Peugeot (which is road tax exempt because of its low emissions, and in which I do less than 5000 miles a year) is 'literally killing the planet'. That was how she sought to persuade someone who's essentially sympathetic to the cause of reducing oil dependency. I can't imagine that these antics will persuade a single one of the people they need to convert.

The Cenotaph !!
These twats only have freedom because of the bravery of our heroes & forces of years gone by.
Wouldn't bother me if we just shot them

Regardless of my partially-thought-out comments above, which have been interestingly challenged (fine by me), your post puzzles me somewhat.

You wouldn't be bothered if people should be shot for expressing the freedoms that brave people have fought and died for?

The Cenotaph !!
These twats only have freedom because of the bravery of our heroes & forces of years gone by.
Wouldn't bother me if we just shot them

To be fair, it seems they didn't target the Cenotaph. The police say they were causing an obstruction on the road, and were physically lifted to the pavements on each side. One of those pavements was beside the Cenotaph.

I've been actively involved in environmental causes all my adult life. I'll take no lectures from Just Stop Oil.

I happen to know one of their activists. She was privately educated, is the grand-daughter of a Lord, drives a VW, flies off skiing every winter and to the Med every summer, and in a discussion with me once ended up screaming that my Peugeot (which is road tax exempt because of its low emissions, and in which I do less than 5000 miles a year) is 'literally killing the planet'. That was how she sought to persuade someone who's essentially sympathetic to the cause of reducing oil dependency. I can't imagine that these antics will persuade a single one of the people they need to convert.
Well I don't know an awful lot about it. But to be fair that's a very specific and personal reason to dismiss a whole group of people and their opinions and concerns. I think I'd better do a bit of research/reading before I comment further - perhaps others (not you) might be advised similarly.

Well I don't know an awful lot about it. But to be fair that's a very specific and personal reason to dismiss a whole group of people and their opinions and concerns. I think I'd better do a bit of research/reading before I comment further - perhaps others (not you) might be advised similarly.

There's a specific, personal reason, but also a broader reason. If I support direct action when it's in favour of causes I believe in, do I also support it when it's for causes I strongly oppose? In both cases, the activists will make the argument that it's the only way to get people to listen.

In a democratic society, there are other ways, not least through the ballot box.

They are absolutely in the right in the sense oil does needed to be stopped asap. You could argue they go about it in the wrong way. However when the government won't listen to them what recourse do they have? Thankfully the cenotaph doesn't looks defaced as that would be incredibly bad taste.

A lot of the world problems are either from oil or oil producing nations. It time is it was stopped. Or at least heavily phased out.

There are likely practical reasons why we cannot just stop oil. It would likely benefit everyone if representatives from the government met representatives from just stop oil and they each give reasoned debate. I'm sure the just stop would see some sense and the government could take some ideas for future greener planning.

I think that the government want these types of stunts rather than have constructive debates. These Stunts annoy the public and a lot double down because they don't like just stop oils methods.

It takes the pressure off the government and investment portfolios to stop investing in oil.
WTF get together with the government, bad enough having one bunch of useless tossers telling us what to nevermind inviting these total wastes of space sharing their total doom mongering shyte.
They are full of rhetoric but very slim on ideas apart from stopping oil. Tell us what your planning on replacing oil with that is sustainable and I might listen, until then they can f*ck right off.

There's some great organisations about who work alongside young and older people about issues facing the plant, these thickheeds just come across as entitled snobs who think everyone else is stupid. All they are doing is putting people off supporting all environmental causes...

They are absolutely in the right in the sense oil does needed to be stopped asap. You could argue they go about it in the wrong way. However when the government won't listen to them what recourse do they have? Thankfully the cenotaph doesn't looks defaced as that would be incredibly bad taste.

A lot of the world problems are either from oil or oil producing nations. It time is it was stopped. Or at least heavily phased out.

There are likely practical reasons why we cannot just stop oil. It would likely benefit everyone if representatives from the government met representatives from just stop oil and they each give reasoned debate. I'm sure the just stop would see some sense and the government could take some ideas for future greener planning.

I think that the government want these types of stunts rather than have constructive debates. These Stunts annoy the public and a lot double down because they don't like just stop oils methods.

It takes the pressure off the government and investment portfolios to stop investing in oil.
We still need oil for lots of things, until we get realistic alternatives I don't see how people can demand we stop immediately.

Does it really need a seperate thread every time they appear in the news?

Should shoot these lowlives and not given them the attention they crave....while posting about them on the internet

Etc

I don't think the bits in red are relevant. The hypocrisy of driving a car, flying for skiing and the med definitely are.

Back