Just Sport

Was it not owned by Don Robson ? Certainly remember his son Ian working in the
Newcastle shop alongside Ian Stokoe.At the time part of a powerful Swalwell side which also included Rob Stokoe and Neil Burdon.Antony Johnson the Durham Wasps and GB ice hockey player worked in the Durham store on North Road.Also sponsored the Just Sport trophy.A prestigious cup competition back in the day.Overall a good quality business with prices to suit a wide range of players and clubs.

I always thought that but if you asked the gadgy for certain things he would disappear into a big pile of stock and come up with exactly what you asked for - clearly it was organised chaos!!
Yes he could ring anything but I could spend ages looking in vain. The whole point of the place was the personal service over the last 8 months with little cricket played and restrictions on shops they lost their edge as people have been buying on line, which I never understand, you have to pick a bat up before you buy it.

It was almost a legal requirement to get your gear from there. Saturday morning trip across, park outside and spend ages trawling through the stock. then dash back, lunch and rush to the club and test drive new gear!!

Imagine Ian Stokoe will have been close to retirement age too

Last edited:
Not being from the NE I thought this was going to be about some new channel showing NZ v WI since it appears the Amazon thing is just for India

Sad though sounds like it was a big thing for the NE cricket scene

Yes great service in that shop. When I was buying a bat they invested so much time to the customer. I remember always picking a bat up and Ian giving me a hard plastic ball to test it with...never felt the same with a proper Dukes ! Maybe it was me. Such a shame and great memories.

Disappointing to hear, I missed this post and didn't see anything on this on social media so didn't realise

It was one of the few proper sports shops left, like an aladdins cave of cricket gear

Back