Just paid off our mortgage

It's a great feeling.

Congratulations.

Downside - Relatives (especially kids) know you have more disposable income :lol::lol:

You should never pay off early.

Always leave 1 month on (if possible) to avoid early termination fees.
Then pay it off at a penny a month . Nar nee good you'll get fucked by experian .
What was the fee, out of curiosity?

Still think people should only be allowed babies relative to the money they earn?
First one I still owed about k20 and I tjink I had to pay about k2 . Second one I owed about k40 and after whinging had to pay k1.6 . They tried it on the 3rd time but I still had their letter saying I wouldn't have to . Thing is, they say your mortgage repayments are worked out on you taking let's say 25 years to pay it off. If you pay it off early they say they're losing money . I say yeah right .

Last edited:

Then pay it off at a penny a month . Nar nee good you'll get fucked by experian .

Paying it all off & experian will screw you as you lose your debt repayment record. I made that mistake last time around and couldnt get 0% cards when I needed one. Had to spend savings instead losing the good rates i was getting back in the day pre 2008.

Paying it all off & experian will screw you as you lose your debt repayment record. I made that mistake last time around and couldnt get 0% cards when I needed one. Had to spend savings instead losing the good rates i was getting back in the day pre 2008.
Would it not just show it was paid in full?

I think you are wrong on all 3 points there mind mate.
Yeah? Might be wrong about the age and his wife working but he definitely said his mortgage is paid, has 3 young kids and taking some time away from work. Just thought it sounded interesting and he always seems canny on-the-ball with money matters (unlike myself).

Always ready to hold my hands up when I'm wrong, mind.

Yeah? Might be wrong about the age and his wife working but he definitely said his mortgage is paid, has 3 young kids and taking some time away from work. Just thought it sounded interesting and he always seems canny on-the-ball with money matters (unlike myself).

Always ready to hold my hands up when I'm wrong, mind.

He’s topper for finding value in stuff.

Fearless with Sky retentions anarl. A mans man.

If I've picked up on your posts correctly, you're 39 with a paid-off mortgage, a wife who doesn't work, 3 kids and you're currently taking 6 months off work. Any chance you can let everyone else in on your secret?

I'm 41. I'm not sure where you got the 6 months thing from.

There's no secret. I think I've mentioned on here a few times that I've been overpaying.

The only thing we spend proper big money on is holidays as you only live once and we want our kids to have good memories. My house isn't particularly expensive, someone with 15 years left on their mortgage and £150k equity is probably in a better financial position than me in reality.
There's a good chance that my mortgage free status is temporary. ;)

Last edited:
I'm 41. I'm not sure where you got the 6 months thing from.

There's no secret. I think I've mentioned on here a few times that I've been overpaying.

The only thing we spend proper big money on is holidays as you only live once and we want our kids to have good memories. My house isn't particularly expensive, someone with 15 years left on their mortgage and £150k equity is probably in a better financial position than me in reality.
There's a good chance that my mortgage free status is temporary. ;)
No criticism was meant, I just thought you seemed to be quietly sorted. Apologies about the work thing, I thought I'd seen you mention you were taking 6 months off work to spend a bit of time with the kids.

No criticism was meant, I just thought you seemed to be quietly sorted. Apologies about the work thing, I thought I'd seen you mention you were taking 6 months off work to spend a bit of time with the kids.

I'm hoping it'll be longer than that to be honest. Time will tell on that. No offence taken mate.
He’s topper for finding value in stuff.

Fearless with Sky retentions anarl. A mans man.

I'm dumping sky as soon as my contract is up. Unless they offer me a profit to stay, then I'll consider it.

Last edited:
Just received the offer for my remortgage which extends my borrowing for a further 20 years and takes me up to the grand old age of 73. Hooray for cheap borrowing - long may it continue.

Back