Just looked up my old school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought that sounded like a type of vapirism so I googled it.

"Dyscalculia is usually perceived of as a specific learning difficulty for mathematics, or, more appropriately, arithmetic."

Is it like dyslexia for maths?
Basically aye. Really struggles with it. When you look at some of her work I can't put any reason to the answers she comes up with.

Must be a f***ing shite that. I'd never heard of it.
She's brilliant at creative stuff and English though. Complete opposite to me and my brother. Gets a lot more support at the secondary school she's at now compared to the private school so hopefully will see some improvement.

Yep, you're right "O" levels were more difficult
Possibly, I wouldn't equate that with a drop in standards though.

Also, I think if you dragged a kid from 1961 into your deloreon and forced him to sit GCSEs today he'd struggle.

Count Dyscalcula.
If I had Dyscalcula I'd do everything in my power to make people call me that.

Last edited:
I did my schooling in the mid 60's, and my family had nowt. A university place would have been open to me, if I had passed the required "O" levels and "A" levels. I got 3 "O" levels, which was about average. Only two kids out of our year got the required number of passes and grades to go to university. Neither of their families had any money, but they were obviously bright kids and did well. Now, nearly 50% of kids go to uni ? Are we now breeding a load of Einstein's, or have standards dropped dramatically ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...valued-degrees-have-let-our-country-down.html
They didn't dish out degrees in finger painting or sports studies back then.

Probably, I wouldn't equate that with a drop in standards though.

Also, I think if you dragged a kid from 1961 into your deloreon and forced him to sit GCSEs today he'd struggle.

Can't do that, but I did present my 1967 "O" level maths paper (in which there were differential calculus questions), to the next door neighbour's A* GCSE maths student, and he managed the first two questions (worth about 10%). He was totally stumped for the rest.
I gave my French "O" level paper to his sister who passed grade C. GCSE. She didn't get past the first page as the question was written in French, and she didn't understand it!!!

Hence my deduction that the qualification has been diluted

Can't do that, but I did present my 1967 "O" level maths paper (in which there were differential calculus questions), to the next door neighbour's A* GCSE maths student, and he managed the first two questions (worth about 10%). He was totally stumped for the rest.
I gave my French "O" level paper to his sister who passed grade C. GCSE. She didn't get past the first page as the question was written in French, and she didn't understand it!!!

Standards started dropping in the mid 70s...

Kids are educated for the exams they are taking, as I said I think a kid taught for O-Levels would struggle with GCSEs, in the same way a kid doing GCSEs would struggle with O-Levels.

I was actually curious about the differences and had a quick search. This BBC article talks about some of the different expectations from the two.

Social interventionist bullshit

Meritocracy......pure and simple. And i sent my boy private and hes finishing a phd.

If only your parent could be as proud. :)

Both sets of grandparents lived in council housing at the end of their lives.

The first house my parents had after I was born was a council house

My parents worked fairly dull, low paid jobs.

I went to state schools, was in the gifted and talented club, etc.

I have a masters degree and a public sector job I love which saves lives.

I think they're fairly proud all things considered.

Oh and my cousin is training to be a barrister. We've done alright I reckon.

Well done to your boy, a PhD is an excellent achievement, I hope he does well with whatever it is he's researching.

Last edited:
Having read the threads on thick kids and teachers, I thought I would have a look to see if my old school was still standing. It was a hopeless school when I was there in the 70's and despite being completely rebuilt and re branded, it looks like nothing has changed.

It's still mystery to me how I ever got out of there with three A levels and a university place.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/bad-behaviour-high-exclusion-rates-12544424

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hepburn_Community_Academy

How is this still allowed to go on. This is probably why I send my daughter to a private school :(

It's a mystery to me anarl looking at the shite you post on here.

Both sets of grandparents lived in council housing

The first house my parents had after I was born was a council house

My parents worked fairly dull, low paid jobs.

I went to state schools, was in the gifted and talented club, etc.

I have a masters degree and a public sector job I love which saves lives.

I think they're fairly proud all things considered.
You need to re read it....or stand on a chair and perhaps it wont go over your head .....it wasnt a typo.

Social interventionist bullshit

Meritocracy......pure and simple. And i sent my boy private and hes finishing a phd.

If only your parent could be as proud. :)

Another bragger who likes to knock poor unfortunate spenks

Hope your parents are proud of your arrogance mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back