Just looked up my old school

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenMan

Central Defender
Having read the threads on thick kids and teachers, I thought I would have a look to see if my old school was still standing. It was a hopeless school when I was there in the 70's and despite being completely rebuilt and re branded, it looks like nothing has changed.

It's still mystery to me how I ever got out of there with three A levels and a university place.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/bad-behaviour-high-exclusion-rates-12544424

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hepburn_Community_Academy

How is this still allowed to go on. This is probably why I send my daughter to a private school :(

Having read the threads on thick kids and teachers, I thought I would have a look to see if my old school was still standing. It was a hopeless school when I was there in the 70's and despite being completely rebuilt and re branded, it looks like nothing has changed.

It's still mystery to me how I ever got out of there with three A levels and a university place.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/bad-behaviour-high-exclusion-rates-12544424

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hepburn_Community_Academy

How is this still allowed to go on. This is probably why I send my daughter to a private school :(
Yet, Jeremy Corbyn who went to Prep and a Grammar School achieved much less, and he's lauded as some kind of messiah...

Well done btw (similar, without Sprogs going private), if Universities only took on the top 10% like they used to, I would be quite happy for all degrees to be free, but instead the PC Idealists don't like the inequality of just the intelligent having the experience of University & the best of the working class have to suffer.

Last edited:
Yet, Jeremy Corbyn who went to Prep and a Grammar School achieved much less, and he's lauded as some kind of messiah...

Well done btw (similar, without Sprogs going private), if Universities only took on the top 10% like they used to, I would be quite happy for all degrees to be free, but instead the PC Idealists don't like the inequality of just the intelligent having the experience of University & the best of the working class have to suffer.

Cacbabble.

Am I being whooshed here. I'm not bragging, I am pissed off that a school that was crap 40 years ago is still crap.

If universities only took the 10% highest scoring students the working class would suffer like fuck because about 15% of A-Level students are privately educated and would dominate HE. You'd end up with very, very few working class kids in HE.

I'd like to see the uni sector made smaller and with fewer students but in a way that widens participation and doesn't limit it to the middle class

If universities only took the 10% highest scoring students the working class would suffer like fuck because about 15% of A-Level students are privately educated and would dominate HE. You'd end up with very, very few working class kids in HE.

I'd like to see the uni sector made smaller and with fewer students but in a way that widens participation and doesn't limit it to the middle class

Fewer students sounds good

I did my schooling in the mid 60's, and my family had nowt. A university place would have been open to me, if I had passed the required "O" levels and "A" levels. I got 3 "O" levels, which was about average. Only two kids out of our year got the required number of passes and grades to go to university. Neither of their families had any money, but they were obviously bright kids and did well. Now, nearly 50% of kids go to uni ? Are we now breeding a load of Einstein's, or have standards dropped dramatically ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...valued-degrees-have-let-our-country-down.html

Last edited:

Social interventionist bullshit

Meritocracy......pure and simple. And i sent my boy private and hes finishing a phd.

If only your parent could be as proud. :)

Private schools aren't all that me and my brother went to a private school. Although I left and did my last 3 years at a catholic secondary schools I got roughly the same sort of results as my brother.

My sister who is 20 years younger than me has discalcula (sp?) and went to Durham high for girls as a junior. They didn't know how to deal with it and asked my parents what they wanted them to do!? £9000 a year and they are asking the parents for teaching advice! Completely useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back