Just bought a laptop. Help needed please

Try LibreOffice - freeware and works just as well as the Microsoft stuff.

Just right-click on your usual icons and select the <open with> option. Select the LibreOffice option and you're away.

When you save the documents/spreadsheets make sure you pick the <use excel/word 1997-2003 format> option.

You can easily make it the default option as well.

O365 and Google docs both free online.

Or libreoffice
Or openoffice
Or dodgy torrent of office

Take your pick

PTR knows the score. For day to day tasks google docs and google sheets are perfect. No worrying about saving as in the cloud. Wouldn't touch a dodgy torrent for fear of what malicious code has been inserted.

Or libreoffice
Or openoffice

Take your pick

Or libreoffice
Or openoffice

Take your pick

For home use I would agree, except the torrent of Office, god knows what virus could be in there..

For learning how to use Excel though, you need excel, especially if you need to learn it for work etc, checking at my workplace tomorrow to see whether we can buy Office through the Microsoft Home User Program, mate did it a few years ago for 9.95 for Office 2016, so hopefully Office 2019 is on special, much cheaper compared to buying a years sub to Office 365

For home use I would agree, except the torrent of Office, god knows what virus could be in there..

For learning how to use Excel though, you need excel, especially if you need to learn it for work etc, checking at my workplace tomorrow to see whether we can buy Office through the Microsoft Home User Program, mate did it a few years ago for 9.95 for Office 2016, so hopefully Office 2019 is on special, much cheaper compared to buying a years sub to Office 365
Isn't there free o365 online still ?

I’m another one in favour of Google docs. Everything is stored in the cloud and can be accessed from anywhere on any machine, even your phone or tablet. It’s also great for collaborating and sharing.

Back