Just bought a guitar....never played a note before, where do I start?

Get Songsterr downloaded & start trying to play tunes you like. I dived in 20yr back in the days of buying guitar tab books (sorry, bewks) & went from there. There'll be stuff you can't play but fuck it, just give it a go. Dunno what you like but anything like oasis, basic metallica etc should be well within your capabilities after a while.

At the very beginning, that’s a very good place to start, when you write you begin with A B C when you play you begin with Doh Rea Me. Or middle C.

Book - Bert Weedon - Play with yourself in a day
Absolutely this. When Bert passed away a few years back tributes were paid to him by Clapton, Townsend, Brian May, Kieth Richards and Jimmy Page.

When I got got a guitar years back I bought a copy and sudied it for months it like the greats above - I still can't play a f***ing note.

"We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we like Bert Weedon."

Like others, I would say find a tutor nearby who comes recommended to help you get the basics down then explore. Learn songs that you enjoy and ask any mates who can play a bit to have a jam. Once you start playing with others, your playing will come on in leaps and bounds. I also agree that you need to have it to hand to pick up when you have a spare minute.

as above.....help!!

awaits the funny/sarcastic answers!
Whey hey yer attention seeking bell end! Bring it with yer to poker tomorrow yer gid big tit and I’ll teach you how to tune it! ;) Shall we start a band? :cool:

On a serious note... justinsguitars.com

Like others, I would say find a tutor nearby who comes recommended to help you get the basics down then explore. Learn songs that you enjoy and ask any mates who can play a bit to have a jam. Once you start playing with others, your playing will come on in leaps and bounds. I also agree that you need to have it to hand to pick up when you have a spare minute.
It’s the second one he’s bought, he didn’t learn how to play the first one, needless to say this one will follow the same path!

Last edited:

Back