Just bought a guitar....never played a note before, where do I start?

If you don't get a tutor, you're likely to use "lazy" hand positions and bad strumming techniques rather than ones that use your finger muscles and wrists properly. It might be ok for your first few most basic songs but when you try to learn new more complicated songs afterwards you'll struggle much more than if you learned how to do it properly with a tutor in the first place.
Mine are shocking, sends my mate batshit. :lol:
Does the job for me though.

As an extra bit here, keep the guitar somewhere near you and accessible all the time so you can pick it up and have a strum when you're not doing anything, or a song comes on the radio/telly that you like.

Work on chords and strumming, practice and practice.
Get your finger tips hardened up, it will knack at first.
Keep it handy as said above, also Justin Guitars.

Ya should have said. Ya could have had mine for nowt. Had it for years and still can't get anything remotely tuneful out of the fecker.

I've been playing Guitar for 23 years solid.

I taught myself from books.

I got a teacher 4 years into playing but my tutor said on my first lesson that I was already better than him.

Have you got an Electric or Acoustic?

I've been playing Guitar for 23 years solid.

I taught myself from books.

I got a teacher 4 years into playing but my tutor said on my first lesson that I was already better than him.

Have you got an Electric or Acoustic?

Electric mate, les paul. Was a bit of an impulse buy, I've been meaning to for years but let a lack of understanding sway me from doing it.....but you're not going to learn owt by doing nowt are you!!

Don't bother or I'll brick your windows.

Amp goes right up to 11.....ill give you a demo through the walls about 8 ish tonight

Last edited:
Electric mate, les paul. Was a bit of an impulse buy, I've been meaning to for years but let a lack of understanding sway me from doing it.....but you're not going to learn owt by doing nowt are you!!

Amp goes right up to 11.....ill give you a demo through the walls about 8 ish tonight
I'm going to see Star Wars and Melissa will knack you, so good luck!

I started this topic off a while back and received some good advice.

As a fellow beginner I would suggest the following:

Have the guitar out on a stand by the couch. Don't make it an effort to pick it up.
Buy a load of plectrums of different sizes, materials and thicknesses. Dumlop Tortex reds are what I'm using. Sometimes the .60 grey nylons. Anything else I find difficult to use.
Even if youre sitting on a night in front of the tv practice your left hand shapes.
Don't be afraid to try barre chords. I find barre F easier than a standard F. It will help later on down the line.
Practice slowly and build up speed. Don't expect to be fast from the off. Focus on accuracy and speed will come later. The body learns things faster if you carry out the motions slowly in my experience.
There are some good teachers out there on youtube as mentioned. Andy guitar Justin Guitar and Marty Schwarz is good. You can pick up helpful tips from other youtubers though. One obscure video I watched helped me get rid of the buzz on a barre F minor just by changing the position of my index finger.
I'm trying to learn to strum in time rather than thinking of strict up down strumming patterns. I'm told this is better than trying to remember a specific patter. Try it. It's not easy to count in your head and strum at the same time imo.
Make it fun. Play stuff you like but then also try and play songs you don't know. This will build up your skills and introduce you to knew styles and chords etc.

Good luck and keep us updated.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/learning-the-guitar.1347961/

Learn the E Minor Pentatonic scale then you will be flying, its not difficult but it takes practise to play it accurately. Les Pauls sound bloody lovely around and above the 12th fret.

Back