Just back from Canada

I have visited Canada 9 times, Landed and got permanent residency, but couldn’t sell my house, the crash of 2007 happened, and I trebled my salary in the U.K. so never moved there in the end.
Fantastic country, beautiful scenery, but if I had to chose now it would be the USA, despite Trump.

Been to Colorado 6 times and absolutely love it, and San Diego is a great place too. More going on in the USA than Canada generally ( not talking about mass murders and KKK shit of course)

I have an ambition to go one day, to visit Avril’s hometown in Ontario. But it does seem like a beautiful country in terms of scenery as well.

I don’t think there’s a lot going on in Belleville or Greater Napanee. Although there is a pub with a nice beer garden by the river in Napanee.

They’re mainly towns that you pass on the long, boring, very straight drive from Toronto to Montreal.

Worked a ski season in lake Louise. Amazing scenery, f***ing freezing, and didn’t drive. Getting around is a right clart on.

Not a care in the world, and had a great time though

i skied there a day or so after a world cup downhill event. the course was sheer ice in some parts and we could barely get an edge but the competitors had been flying down it, looked impossible.
it was -19 deg C that day, absolutely nithered.

Currently planning Edmonton/Calgary/Banff.

Anyone been, recommendations etc?

Fly into Edmonton if you like, probably nothing to keep you here more than a day or two.
Then get out West into the Rockies. Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise, Canmore and fly out of Calgary. Or whatever suits. Canmore is a great town and used to be reasonably priced when compared to Banff. Think it's getting more expensive to stay there now mind.
I live in Edmonton and wouldn't class it as a touristy place

Last edited:
i skied there a day or so after a world cup downhill event. the course was sheer ice in some parts and we could barely get an edge but the competitors had been flying down it, looked impossible.
it was -19 deg C that day, absolutely nithered.
Got to -41 when I was there one January, then +29 when I visited again in the summer 7 months later!

Favourite country I’ve ever been to. Did a two week tour starting from Vancouver going to jasper, Banff, Victoria and some other places which I’ve completely forgot about. Would love to go back.

I've been here since June 2018 and come back to the UK in June 2019.

7 months in Montréal (loved it), within which I found time to also visit Québec City (11 days for the festival d'été headlined by Neil Young and the Foo Fighters), Lac-Mégantic, Toronto (boring, anywheresville), Niagara Falls (not that high!), New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia (all good in their own way but Halifax and Cape Breton in NS won it for me); also dove down to New England for 12 days driving, also New York and DC.

Got to BC in February and have to say Vancouver as a city is very underwhelming. Breathtaking scenery around but just not that interesting a city. On Vancouver Island now. Victoria is lovely so far; between now and June I still have the rest of the island, Jasper, Banff, Calgary, Kelowna, Seattle and LA to visit.

I'll not lie, it's been a blast and I don't even care how much it sounds like I'm boasting. I bloody am!

Working holiday visa?

One of those things I wished I'd f***ing done. I've entered the pool for it but turn 30 in 6 weeks so unlikely I will get an invite in time

Regrets regrets!

Working holiday visa?

One of those things I wished I'd f***ing done. I've entered the pool for it but turn 30 in 6 weeks so unlikely I will get an invite in time

Regrets regrets!
Yep! I'm 27 now so I'm hoping to do the same thing again in a couple of years over in NZ.

It took 4 weeks to be approved for my Canadian one but my friend got hers the same day she applied so you might be lucky!

I don’t think there’s a lot going on in Belleville or Greater Napanee. Although there is a pub with a nice beer garden by the river in Napanee.

They’re mainly towns that you pass on the long, boring, very straight drive from Toronto to Montreal.

I would most likely go to Toronto and visit Napanee from there. There's a pizza place that Avril used to go in selling "Avril's favourite pizza" so I'd be going there and just a wander round, maybe a pint in that pub you mention.

It was out of order when Kanye got up on stage and said Beyonce's video was better than hers like.
When did this happen?

Back