Jury Service

My sister was on jury duty ages ago. Farcical case. Some scrote had broken into a house to nick some stuff, they had him absolutely banged to rights as the dipshit saw a bottle of coke on the kitchen worktop, took a drink and left it.
DNA everywhere.
I think they immediately changed the plea to guilty!
Still took a week though I think. Ridiculous

Not usually a crown court offence. We’re their children asleep upstairs or did he assault somebody during the burglary or something?

It would be interesting, but there’s no way I could stay awake through the whole day. As soon as I have to sit down in a meeting I start to go unless I’ve got something to occupy me. What happens if you do nod off during the case?
My sister was on jury duty ages ago. Farcical case. Some scrote had broken into a house to nick some stuff, they had him absolutely banged to rights as the dipshit saw a bottle of coke on the kitchen worktop, took a drink and left it.
DNA everywhere.
I think they immediately changed the plea to guilty!
Still took a week though I think. Ridiculous
Isn’t one of the conditions that you never discuss the case, or is that just during it?

The wife is doing it at present, jealous as owt, as I would love to do it.

Anyway, who has done it on here and what was the case/outcome?

Only posted this the other week..i did a high profile murder case at Newcastle Crown Court about ten years ago..it was horrendous..some of the evidence and photos we saw of the murder scene were sickening..a nine year old girl giving evidence via a video link into the court was heartbreaking..basic outline..man and woman both toe rags always fighting and arguing..she attacked him with a knife..he got the knife off her and butchered her with it..the case was put on hold after a week when it was discovered that the accused hadn't been offered a second psychiatric assessment which by law he was entitled to..the judge went right down the barristers throats for not having sorted this..we got sent home on the Friday and a retrial was ordered for about four months after..the accused pleaded guilty in his cell the night before the retrial...the OP should be careful what he wishes for, as after the first day there was a couple of the women jurors being sick outside the court due to the evidence they had just seen...it was awful like.

Last edited:
I Lasted one day.
Basically after waiting all day our group of 13 (not sure why not 12) was called into a court room at about 3pm. No sooner had we sat down it started and I noticed one of the defendants was my nephew. Same surname and both from South Shields. So I scribbled a note which was passed to the clerk of the court explaining things. He turned white and practically bundled me out of the court. The case was a high profile torture trial that was a retrial because the Gazette had said something they should not have. I was locked in a room on my own for about an hour before I was allowed out. Same time tomorrowI said no’ your jury duty is over. True story.

I Lasted one day.
Basically after waiting all day our group of 13 (not sure why not 12) was called into a court room at about 3pm. No sooner had we sat down it started and I noticed one of the defendants was my nephew. Same surname and both from South Shields. So I scribbled a note which was passed to the clerk of the court explaining things. He turned white and practically bundled me out of the court. The case was a high profile torture trial that was a retrial because the Gazette had said something they should not have. I was locked in a room on my own for about an hour before I was allowed out. Same time tomorrowI said no’ your jury duty is over. True story.
I’ve often wondered how often something like this happens. Cornwall might be pretty big but it’s quite a close knit community and most people have links somewhere

Got called up once sat around for 10 days, eventually got called up for case, just as we were about to go in to court the defendant pleaded guilty, so we had too sit around for another 4 days, never got on a trial 🙄 a lad at work got a horrendous noncing case, said it was awful

I’ve often wondered how often something like this happens. Cornwall might be pretty big but it’s quite a close knit community and most people have links somewhere
It was very boring and we were not allowed to eat at lunch time until we were told to do so. So ended up with the worst indegestion ever after eventually being allowed to eat the last thing left-dried up pea soup.
Also, returning to work the next day and having to explain why i Had returned early.

Called up in 2017 phoned to say if I sat that long I would have to take my morphine (prescribed) they said I would not be selected again. Two months later a new call up explained previous release, then asked them if there was a setting on the computer system to stop the same thing happening and they said there wasn't. I am looking forward to the next call up.
Ahh you were on the jury for the Flanders Pigeon murderer I see
Spotted Jim.

Me. Had a rape case one week and a child abuse case the next.

f***ing horrific and if I ever get called up again they can go and get fucked trying to get me to do it.

I couldn’t sleep for weeks after the second case. It was brutal.

And what was your role in that case Darling? Straightening chairs?

Theres nothing cushy about life in the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Isnt it amazing how blackadder quotes can totally ruin a thread!

Back on topic, I got my jury service summons a few weeks ago. Also found out today I may be called as a witness for magistrates court....

Never been to a courtroom in my life and it could be twice in a month!

Are you allowed to sit in on cases still? Is that worth doing before you go for either jury or witness duty?

It would be interesting, but there’s no way I could stay awake through the whole day. As soon as I have to sit down in a meeting I start to go unless I’ve got something to occupy me. What happens if you do nod off during the case?

Isn’t one of the conditions that you never discuss the case, or is that just during it?

This was a while ago Herb. But yes I thought that was the case you certainly couldn't talk about it during the case
Hand me the black cap, I’ll be needing that.

Morning General! BAAAAAAA!

Last edited:

Back