Jury Service

houst69

Striker
The wife is doing it at present, jealous as owt, as I would love to do it.

Anyway, who has done it on here and what was the case/outcome?

My sister was on jury duty ages ago. Farcical case. Some scrote had broken into a house to nick some stuff, they had him absolutely banged to rights as the dipshit saw a bottle of coke on the kitchen worktop, took a drink and left it.
DNA everywhere.
I think they immediately changed the plea to guilty!
Still took a week though I think. Ridiculous

I knew a lad who was facing eight years if sent down (some were already inside for the same crime) The jury were out for a few days then came back on a Friday afternoon with a not guilty. Months later we heard a friend of a friends wife was one of them (she did not know the accused). She said they were split 10 to 2, the two being adamant he was innocent the rest thought guilty. As none of them wanted to spend the weekend in a hotel the two got their way.

My ex-wife has done jury service on two occasions, whilst I've never been called up - gutted!

I can't mention the specific details of the first case she heard, but it involved cruelty to a number of vulnerable children, so was obviously very upsetting for all concerned.

The twat in the dock pleaded not guilty to about 22 separate charges, which the ex and the rest of the jury were confident he was guilty of them all.

However, the jury gave guilty verdicts for less than half the charges, as the evidence presented was not robust enough to nail the bastard on the others.

I suppose this is a good example of how the system should work, rather than letting the heart rule the head.

Done it years ago... sent some scrote down who'd nicked a car and drove on the pavement to get away, coppers evidence was they'd pulled alongside him and seen him driving the car and several witnesses picked him out a line up. Jury I was on there was some bloke inventing his own evidence saying "that type of car, at that age would of had tinted windows so how did they know it was him". Turns out he had loads of priors too.

My mam done it with some big trial in Newcastle involving people dealing heroin out of takeaways. Think everyone got settled down but the jury was apparently shocked by the judges sentencing, through the book at the lad they saw as least culpable iirc.

Did it at the Old Bailey, didn't sit for a single case and narrowly avoided a three month murder trial. Two weeks watching Wimbledon in a stifling jury waiting room.

Wish I'd got to do at least one case now.

I’ve been summoned twice. The first occasion I got two cases - causing death by dangerous driving and the second burglary.

My second visit I fell ill on the morning(sickness) they sent me home and told me not to come back!

I had some quite well known Sunderland dealers on mine, one of who was from a well known Sunderland family mentioned on here on several occasions although the old man had died a couple of years before the trial. I’ll say nowt more though :D

how did that go? i would assume very emotional courtroom etc
Yeah. Very sad case about a man dying on the A19 when his van broke down. Basically the police cocked up the report of the accident. The driver who caused it was found guilty of careless driving only. This was in 1992.
I had some quite well known Sunderland dealers on mine, one of who was from a well known Sunderland family mentioned on here on several occasions although the old man had died a couple of years before the trial. I’ll say nowt more though :D
Wonder who they could be ....

Been called up to the HM Coroner's for Jury Service, had to request to be dismissed though as I already has a holiday booked.

Gutted.

I’ve done jury duty on coroner’s court. Six days, quite heavy going.

We had to rule on two different cases. First case was the death of young girl who had been hit by a train just outside Durham, she had been crossing the track to use a den that she and her friends had near the line. That was straightforward and we were instructed on the verdict by the coroner, accidental death. Think it only lasted for an hour.

The second case, that one took five and a half days. A prisoner in Durham has been found hanging in his cell. It was the family of the individual who were wanting to know what happened. Has to sit and listen to witness statements and cross examination of guards and prisoners. Also were shown shown photographs from the scene and the individual himself.

That took four days, it took jury a day and a half to reach a consensus on the verdict.... that got quite heated at times. Think we were instructed to decide on one of three choices for verdict:

1. Accidental death.
2. Took own life but of sound mind.
3. Took own life but not of sound mind.

I think jury eventually reached a consensus on number 3.

Back