Jury service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any one done it?
I'm on it from Monday for 2 weeks at Durham
Where's the best to park? I very rarely go to Durham so have no idea even where the courts are
Park at the park and ride mate it's perfect. I did it around three years ago and got a rape case. Took three weeks to sort and it was superb. Nominated myself for foreman as well as it was on my bucket list. Great experience.

Unless they've updated the Jury box in Durham, I'd hope you don't get picked. Two lots of Six people jammed onto a plank of wood 6 inches wide. It was like a medieval torture (or it may be deliberately uncomfortable so you don't fall asleep).

If you are picked though, then you will see the legal profession doing nowt for long periods of time and getting well paid for it. I wanted to get up and shout "for Christ's sake will you get on with it!!", but apparently that sort of thing isn't well received.

In short, done it once and never want to be bothered with it again.

Did it once back in 2005 at Newcastle Crown Court and make no bones about it, unless you're on a case its as boring as it gets.

I'd love to do it again with the right cases (obviously you can't chose) tbh but thats mainly because the ones I was selected for were pretty standard 2 day things. I'd agree with @mcq10 though, seen some people heading back into the waiting room white as a sheet and in tears and thats the type of case I'd want to avoid. Looked awful

Always wanted to do it, purely out of interest but knowing my luck I would get some sort of gangland case that would mean me and my family would have to go into hiding.

My dad did jury service back in the 70s that lasted 7 weeks.
It was a murder, a fisherman had shot and killed someone on another boat while both boats were out at sea.
The judge had the whole court out on a boat one day to try and replicate the conditions, my dad thought they'd be in Seahouses harbour but they went out a few miles.
Bloke was found guilty.

It was a murder, a fisherman had shot and killed someone on another boat while both boats were out at sea.
The judge had the whole court out on a boat one day to try and replicate the conditions, my dad thought they'd be in Seahouses harbour but they went out a few miles.
Bloke was found guilty.

All sounds a bit fishy

Any one done it?
I'm on it from Monday for 2 weeks at Durham
Where's the best to park? I very rarely go to Durham so have no idea even where the courts are

I did mine at Newcastle crown court in 2010,it was a murder case and it was horrific some of the evidence we heard and saw was awful,3 years later the lad who came to tile my kitchen his mam lived next door to the house where the murder took place..Leam Lane.

Bloke was found guilty.
Did he have a patch over one eye and a wooden leg??

I thought I'd dodged it due to being self employed and having signed contracts etc but I simply got a letter asking me to turn up 12 months later after I'd sorted that bullshit out.

Take a book. Electronic ones and iPads etc aren't allowed iirc.

If you don't get a long case (one lasting months or years) on your first day then you won't get one.

On my second Monday the newbies were given a case expected to last a year. They were in shock and a few were in tears when they came back down for 30 mins to tell work and family. One kid had just started a new job the week before.
It's actually scandalous when there's people who'd love to do it nivver get the chance. My da for one. If someone's broke an arm or summit they should be able to volunteer for it to get it out of the way

What happens if you need a slash ?

You're in and out every 20 mins or so for barrister conferring, interruptions, judge being hungry etc.

I thought I'd dodged it due to being self employed and having signed contracts etc but I simply got a letter asking me to turn up 12 months later after I'd sorted that bullshit out.

Take a book. Electronic ones and iPads etc aren't allowed iirc.

If you don't get a long case (one lasting months or years) on your first day then you won't get one.

On my second Monday the newbies were given a case expected to last a year. They were in shock and a few were in tears when they came back down for 30 mins to tell work and family. One kid had just started a new job the week before.
It's actually scandalous when there's people who'd love to do it nivver get the chance. My da for one. If someone's broke an arm or summit they should be able to volunteer for it to get it out of the way

People should be careful what they wish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back