June Voting Thread - Bokeh

Bokeh Challenge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A fairly wide interpretation of the theme this month it seems. I as ever am using AB22's guide to voting.

Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic.
Photography equipment used should not be a criterion for rating a photo.
Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved.

I am judging on the following - presence of Bokeh, presence of Depth of field (as given as an alternative), the end Photograph.

As ever, please take the comments in the spirit intended, and also, it was good to see the photography corner regulars posting in "a day in the life of the smb" - lovely photographs. Though I think a non regular took the most popular photograph - Nuggsy's Spaghetti Boy - :)

TomTomMacute
B 0
D 1
P 1

TaipeiSAFC
B 0
D 1
P 0

I would have preferred that you threw the background more out of focus. Or waited for the people to move away, they spoil what could have been an effective photograph.

I care because you do
B 1
D 1
P 0

I think the end result may have been more effective if you had got the middle of the flower head in focus and the front and back not in focus, rather than the way you have done. I do like the lighting, it's lovely.

Elliot
B 1
D 1
P 0

MadMackem
B 0
D 1
P 1

Ghost of EH7
B 0
D 1
P 0

I think you possibly chose the wrong subject to photograph, that particular item is crying out to photographed with a large depth of field so it is all in focus.

Tired Eyes
B 1
D 1
P 1

I guess you probably put the most effort in this month to obtain a shot like that. I actually quite liked your other shot too, but only saw it once before it was removed.

Mine

I spent ages trying to get "bokeh", and did eventually succeed; was about to hoy one in, when I saw everybody else had done narrow depth of field photographs, I chickened out then of entering a pure bokeh one, and went and took some more photographs. The evening sunlight looked lovely on the horse chestnut tree, so entered that instead, then cursed because it was yet another "flower" picture. But I really had fun learning a new technique with the point and shoot. Probably more fun than I would have had with the SLR.

The Great Soprendo

B 2
D 0
P 1

I would have framed that entry, just to set it off.

Clyde
B 0
D 1
P 1

MunkyHeed

B 0
D 1
P 2

I really hope little Charlie is getting better by the day. I adore the way he is holding the hand. And I like the light shining off his thumb nail.

Phil
B 1
D 1
P 1

Probably my favourite of the month photographically even if Charlie wins emotionally. I may have chosen a slightly darker thing to photograph in front of that lovely background, or perhaps had the white bokeh framing the flowerhead, (yes I know I'm being picky) - lovely entry Phil.

Amnorrageordie

B 0
D 0
P 1

Nice picture but just doesn't meet the theme for me.

Not_Spavin

B 1
D 1
P 0

Pictures of the month - MunkyHeed and Phil

And votes to MunkyHeed, Phil, Tired Eyes and The Great Soprendo.

Presence of Depth of field, should more probably read, photograph showing a narrow Depth of field.

A fairly wide interpretation of the theme this month it seems. I as ever am using AB22's guide to voting.

TaipeiSAFC
B 0
D 1
P 0

I would have preferred that you threw the background more out of focus. Or waited for the people to move away, they spoil what could have been an effective photograph.

To be honest it wasn't even an intentional photo, I was taking shots at my lads rugby tournament and tracking a winger down the line - shot the flag by mistake but thought it was OK and decided to enter it. Based on my current total votes of 0 (well deserved I think) maybe I should have put more effort in.

peachbum - really like this shot, very nice but I hate the silly border again - it's too big, too bold, unnecessary and distracting but I'll ignore it for now - VOTE

Thank you.

I am aware that some don't like borders, so I have usually either gone without or gone quite subtle. (ish). I like borders, they set the photograph off imo, especially if a pale area against the white of the SMB. I use black paged photograph albums too for the same reason.

Based on my current total votes of 0 (well deserved I think) maybe I should have put more effort in.
Doesn't seem to be very many votes flying around this month at all.:)

Bugger, I've run out of aliases to vote for myself now

TomTom, Elliot, Phil and Spavin addressed the criteria best IMHO so get my vote. Phil's is a bit busy, but I was prepared to overlook that for the floral-print bokeh which is great. Munkyheed's picture is very powerful but I don't think the bokeh works as it distracts from the foreground (might have been better in colour with a faster lens), likewise Clyde's trespass blokie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back