June - Round 6; Ghostly or Spooky - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should not even look at the sun should you?

No. I did with a 200 mm of a 35 MM SLR lens once, never again.

Just didn't think and should have known better. And it hurt.

This kind of technique may need some discussion regarding the best way to photograph the Sun safely, if that is chosen like.

Last edited:

Janiep - if you're interested, I might be selling my D40.

It works perfectly, but I dropped it and broke the little flap that holds the battery in. To get around this, I bought a battery grip for it. The trouble is, the battery grip doesn't attach properly, so I had to tie-wrap it on.

So... it's a D40 that works as a D40 and has a better battery life than a D40 - but it looks like shite. I've also sold the kit lens, but you get em for about £70 off eBay.

If you find that you can't find a DSLR in your budget, let me know. Might be a cheap way of getting one.

Janiep - if you're interested, I might be selling my D40.

It works perfectly, but I dropped it and broke the little flap that holds the battery in. To get around this, I bought a battery grip for it. The trouble is, the battery grip doesn't attach properly, so I had to tie-wrap it on.

So... it's a D40 that works as a D40 and has a better battery life than a D40 - but it looks like shite. I've also sold the kit lens, but you get em for about £70 off eBay.

If you find that you can't find a DSLR in your budget, let me know. Might be a cheap way of getting one.

OK will do. I think I'm gonna have a good look on line tomorrow, as distraction from the match (which is making me feel physically sick). I'll drop you a PM after that.

OK will do. I think I'm gonna have a good look on line tomorrow, as distraction from the match (which is making me feel physically sick). I'll drop you a PM after that.

:-D Nice one.

In case you do any research, you might find some conflicting stuff about the various brands.

As far as I can work out, there's bugger all difference between Nikon and Canon. After that, there's the like of Sony, Olympus and Pentax. They're all good, cheaper than Nikon / Canon, but you're buying the outsider so there are fewer second hand bits available. No major issue, and clyde off here is testament to what you can do with a Sony SLR.

If I was buying a starter DSLR, I'd buy a second hand D80 or D90.

:-D Nice one.

In case you do any research, you might find some conflicting stuff about the various brands.

As far as I can work out, there's bugger all difference between Nikon and Canon. After that, there's the like of Sony, Olympus and Pentax. They're all good, cheaper than Nikon / Canon, but you're buying the outsider so there are fewer second hand bits available. No major issue, and clyde off here is testament to what you can do with a Sony SLR.

If I was buying a starter DSLR, I'd buy a second hand D80 or D90.

My son has a Sony A300 and there are some distinct benefits such as the image stabilisation built into the camera rather than lens which makes further lens cheaper to buy. The glass is Minolta. The Live View screen is handy and can be swivalled and/or rotated in all directions plus remote flash control is built in meaning it's dead easy to set up the flash on the little stand included away from the camera.

Nowt wrong with Nikon like as I've a D60 which is basically a D40X.

But the kit zoom provided with the Sony goes up to 70mm rather than 55mm with the Nikon which is handy for most general photography.

A camera that you can use one lens on most of the time is very encouraging to a beginner who wont have to hump lens around with them.

So the Sony Alpha series is a decent package with some very useful built in features and a zoom by Minolta which has always been good glass and cover a very useful general purpose range.

Buy the flashgun online for around £140 rather than about £200 in the shops which will enable off the camera and bounce flash and the basic system is there.

Last edited:
There's my entry submitted - not happy with it at all - but it's the best I could think of for this theme.

Can't do any worse than the 0 votes I got last month anyway.

There's my entry submitted - not happy with it at all - but it's the best I could think of for this theme.

Can't do any worse than the 0 votes I got last month anyway.

I like it mate, well done

My son has a Sony A300 and there are some distinct benefits such as the image stabilisation built into the camera rather than lens which makes further lens cheaper to buy. The glass is Minolta. The Live View screen is handy and can be swivalled and/or rotated in all directions plus remote flash control is built in meaning it's dead easy to set up the flash on the little stand included away from the camera.

Nowt wrong with Nikon like as I've a D60 which is basically a D40X.

But the kit zoom provided with the Sony goes up to 70mm rather than 55mm with the Nikon which is handy for most general photography.

A camera that you can use one lens on most of the time is very encouraging to a beginner who wont have to hump lens around with them.

So the Sony Alpha series is a decent package with some very useful built in features and a zoom by Minolta which has always been good glass and cover a very useful general purpose range.

Buy the flashgun online for around £140 rather than about £200 in the shops which will enable off the camera and bounce flash and the basic system is there.

canny write up there mate, one thing i would like to add though, the sony's are made using the old minolta alpha lens mount so all the old minolta AF lenses ( + 3rd party compatable ones) all work on the new sony sysytems, which is pretty darn handy as they can be found reasonably cheap on ebay, often on full 35mm slr systems too, i now have 3 minolta slr's that i have acquired from basically wanting the lenses.

canny write up there mate, one thing i would like to add though, the sony's are made using the old minolta alpha lens mount so all the old minolta AF lenses ( + 3rd party compatable ones) all work on the new sony sysytems, which is pretty darn handy as they can be found reasonably cheap on ebay, often on full 35mm slr systems too, i now have 3 minolta slr's that i have acquired from basically wanting the lenses.

I've been told that the sensors are made by Sony in all other cameras except Canon who make their own.

Swivel screen live view would have been handy for me when I took the July pic of the sun instead of lying flat on the lawn nearly spraining my neck to look through the viewfinder of my Nikon to line up the sun, bush and flower from a low angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back