Jumper on the bridge

There is an argument for regulation of it but looking at out performance in regard to already legal drugs I'm not hopeful.
There is definitely a better way to treat the drugs problem than what we are currently doing . I would go for some level of decriminalization , a more health based program and possibly the likes of heroin being administered at clinics . Fuck knows if that would work but what we are doing isn’t .

Not just funding mental health services, Police should have more access to basic mental health training. There's some local officers here who are pretty good and we have street triage teams with police and mental health nurses but they can't be at every police appointment. Giving basic mental health training to all officers and front line nurses and paramedics would be hugely advantageous.

However, the drive appears to be for mental health staff to have more physical health training, rather than the other way round.

Police have enough training. Anymore and its accepting that they simply will take on mental health jobs and theyll fund the mental health issues less.

Police have enough training. Anymore and its accepting that they simply will take on mental health jobs and theyll fund the mental health issues less.
It’s akin to saying that police should have more training in social care work.

Or should have more training in first aid.

Or should have more training in firefighting.

Or animal rescue.

Etc etc

It’s akin to saying that police should have more training in social care work.

Or should have more training in first aid.

Or should have more training in firefighting.

Or animal rescue.

Etc etc

This is slightly different for me as some injuries go hand in hand with police work such as RTCs and injuries caused by use of force

Well they clearly don't as identified in the Connect - York University study or feedback from the excellent Respond Training
The second point is ridiculous as the study found more mental health tags were applied to police jobs, increasing referrals to mental health services and increased the officers knowledge, attitudes and confidence in dealing with police incidents involving mental health. Nobody is asking police to do mental health services work, just to be more aware and be able to identify mental health issues; identify, respond, record and refer. All from one days training.
They're not expected to have knowledge or access to all of the referral routes, or be able to treat complex mental health, just increased awareness and ability to recognise.

Last edited:
Aye, but once you get beyond D13/Medic training then you’re into paramedic/first responder territory.

Only above d13 are police medics. No one has that training other than AFOs for obvious reasons and usually only a few a shift. Quite often dish out oxygen but rarely have to intubate anyone.

Only above d13 are police medics. No one has that training other than AFOs for obvious reasons and usually only a few a shift. Quite often dish out oxygen but rarely have to intubate anyone.
Aye, I know this.

What I’m saying is, by saying we need more training in this is like saying we need more first aid training. Which is getting above and beyond the role…

Where would that place of safety be? Custody? Think thats been agreed that its not a pla e for someone in a mental crisis. Where is this magical place you speak of?
Hospital, if already there they should remain there under S136 until a suitable place is confirmed as being available. If not you're breaking the MHA.
A safe place can be almost anywhere, including their own home - although that does cause problems if lacking capacity and querying a MHA assessment, but that's the problem for the AMHP

Well they clearly don't as identified in the Connect - York University study or feedback from the excellent Respond Training
The second point is ridiculous as the study found more mental health tags were applied to police jobs, increasing referrals to mental health services and increased the officers knowledge, attitudes and confidence in dealing with police incidents involving mental health. Nobody is asking police to do mental health services work, just to be more aware and be able to identify mental health issues; identify, respond, record and refer. All from one days training.
They're not expected to have knowledge or access to all of the referral routes, or be able to treat complex mental health, just increased awareness and ability to recognise.

This is bread and butter of police work. Its easy to identify mental health issues. Its not too bad responding to them and dealing with them. Its where you rely on other services that cause the issue.
Each force has its own methods of recording through safeguarding forms. All of these are open and shared with mental health services. High risk incidents are automatically raised with mental health workers who need to action them within a certain time. The awareness is already there and thats speaking from experience

This is bread and butter of police work. Its easy to identify mental health issues. Its not too bad responding to them and dealing with them. Its where you rely on other services that cause the issue.
Each force has its own methods of recording through safeguarding forms. All of these are open and shared with mental health services. High risk incidents are automatically raised with mental health workers who need to action them within a certain time. The awareness is already there and thats speaking from experience
It's only there from higher risk incidents though, and that's speaking from experience. Lower level stuff isn't recognised as often, as identified from experience and research.

Hospital, if already there they should remain there under S136 until a suitable place is confirmed as being available. If not you're breaking the MHA.
A safe place can be almost anywhere, including their own home - although that does cause problems if lacking capacity and querying a MHA assessment, but that's the problem for the AMHP

You do realise you cant section people inside their home address? 136 is very rarely used and only used for when harm is an immediate likelihood. It usually ends in that person being handcuffed. Theres the 1000s of other incidents where a 136 is not appropriate but the threat of suicide is still there

You do realise you cant section people inside their home address? 136 is very rarely used and only used for when harm is an immediate likelihood. It usually ends in that person being handcuffed. Theres the 1000s of other incidents where a 136 is not appropriate but the threat of suicide is still there
Yes you can. S137 which is applied for by an AMPH, which was the point I was making.

It's only there from higher risk incidents though, and that's speaking from experience. Lower level stuff isn't recognised as often, as identified from experience and research.

All mental health incidents or concern incidents have to have a safeguarding report attached to it in order to close the incident or a rational from the officer as to why not. The problem on low level information on mental health is not from the police
Yes you can. S137 which is applied for by an AMPH, which was the point I was making.

Aye, good luck getting an AMPH :lol:

All mental health incidents or concern incidents have to have a safeguarding report attached to it in order to close the incident or a rational from the officer as to why not. The problem on low level information on mental health is not from the police

Aye, good luck getting an AMPH :lol:
They don't that's my point! The study I mentioned showed that police reports often lack mental health tags for lower level mental health needs because they weren't identified. The reports and mental health tags applied to police jobs increased following 1 days basic training.

They don't that's my point! The study I mentioned showed that police reports often lack mental health tags for lower level mental health needs because they weren't identified. The reports and mental health tags applied to police jobs increased following 1 days basic training.

Surely that would be a natural trend for any training?

Where would that place of safety be? Custody? Think thats been agreed that its not a pla e for someone in a mental crisis. Where is this magical place you speak of?
Magical? Not really, The 136 suite.
He wouldn’t necessarily have been admitted after the first one. I sat with more than one bloke who’d been off the Tyne bridge into the river, been fished and and waited 4 hours to see the CAT who said he’s fine and isn’t getting sectioned. They’re just taken back home and usually go on to do something similar in the following days.

The place of safety you speak of used to be custody but custody is no longer deemed an appropriate place for a person in crisis to be kept. A and E? Not really the craic to have a suicidal intoxicated person sat for hours in the middle of the rest of the people waiting to be seen.
No, see above.

Back