Jumper on the bridge

It's the same lad I helped talk down early this morning. Took 45 mins to get him to go with the Police. Just passing over the bridge a few minutes ago and recognised him. Hope to god he's ok
Did a lot more than most would marra. Should be very proud of yourself.

Had a bloke who’d tried to go in the sea the other night and a passer by had grabbed him. Tried to get him in for a brew and a chat but he ran off.

The person who’d grabbed him was really upset that they hadn’t managed to get him inside. However, as with yourself, he’d done more than some would have. I told him you can only do so much.

My friend jumped last year, no warning, early 50's,just parked his car on the bridge, few short steps and over the railing. Hope the young chap gets help, terrible to get to that stage,Ha'way the police.

Sorry to hear that @Jon Dough. Shocking news.

Hope the lad is OK. My nephew took his own life aged 26, we had no idea he was tormented by demons to the extent he took his own life.

To anyone who is in bad way, please please reach out for help. There's a lot of help out there, and it's OK to not be OK.

My cousin jumped from the A19 bridge a few years ago and we didn't know he was going through anything mentally or emotionally. Was a massive shock to the whole family but unfortunately it happens far to much. To many men don't talk ( I'm very much the same) and it gets to much unfortunately. Hope he's safe and gets the help he needs.

It's the same lad I helped talk down early this morning. Took 45 mins to get him to go with the Police. Just passing over the bridge a few minutes ago and recognised him. Hope to god he's ok
Were you just a passer-by or do you respond as an emergency service worker?

Either way good on you. Especially if you were just walking past. More often than not in that situation what someone wants more than anything is someone to recognise they are in crisis and to try and help them. Good effort man.

Were you just a passer-by or do you respond as an emergency service worker?

Either way good on you. Especially if you were just walking past. More often than not in that situation what someone wants more than anything is someone to recognise they are in crisis and to try and help them. Good effort man.
Just out on my early morning run. Ran past and realised something wasn't right so stopped to check. Two young kids on bikes were there as well and were trying to contact the police as I was talking to him. I'm not trained in anything like this so it was very difficult trying to say the right thing. Just.kept telling him I've felt how he was feeling before and there is help available. Thankfully he seemed to respond and went with the police.

Just out on my early morning run. Ran past and realised something wasn't right so stopped to check. Two young kids on bikes were there as well and were trying to contact the police as I was talking to him. I'm not trained in anything like this so it was very difficult trying to say the right thing. Just.kept telling him I've felt how he was feeling before and there is help available. Thankfully he seemed to respond and went with the police.
You might have saved his life.

One of the many compulsory courses I have to do at work is one on effective communication. It stemmed from an incident over here a few years back where a police officer shot and killed a lad who had taken hold of a woman in a deli and was holding her at knifepoint for quite a while.
Anyway one of the ‘take aways’ I had was to empathise with them. For example “I can’t begin to understand what you’re going through”, “I can only guess at how tough it is for you right now”, “Would you like to tell me how you got to this?”, “I’m here to listen to you for as long as it takes” That sort of stuff. It’s not perfect but they found that’s the sort of thing that works.
They say to stay clear of talking about their family (that could be why they’re there) and don’t tell them that everything will be fine. At that point in their lives it’s anything but.
You did the right thing in telling him that help is out there. Lastly don’t promise something that you can’t do. For example “I’ll get your wife/partner/boss/whoever to speak to you” if you can’t do it don’t tell them as it erodes trust and you want to maintain that.
Thing is, even with all of that they may still decide that jumping is their only option and do it. Don’t blame yourself if that happens, even though you will do lots of introspective thinking as to why they did it and wondering if you could have done more. You couldn’t. Unfortunately some people are just too far gone down that path by the time you intervene.
There is a video online by an American police officer who would regularly attend incidents like this on the Golden Gate Bridge (I think) and he goes all over telling police forces how to deal with this sort of thing now.

Back