Jumper on the bridge

At what point do you get your phone out to film it, jesus christ!
Also just a thought like, wh don't the local authority/similar have a person who is trained stationed near the bridge to do regular walks of the bridge and to talk to people who do go there to jump/seek help.

Last edited:

we went through a spate a few week ago of people jumping from Scammonden bridge, the big bridge over the m62. Havent heard owt for the last couple of weeks so hopefully attempts have dried up for now. The usual cry in the local press and comments section is to put up barriers to stop people but I`ve a horrible feeling that if the local authorities do and manage to stem the flow people will simply find another spot to do it. And worse of all the barriers will become the cheap solution to the symptoms rather than real money being spent on mental healthcare and solving the problem properly
The barriers are there to protect the drivers below.

A body falling into the motorway could cause pile ups/multiple casualties.

There are very rarely choices in these situations, not for the individual with the problem. Sit anyone with a mental illness down and tell them that they can choose to change their behaviour - it won’t work.

I think I know what you are trying to say, but ultimately only mental illness will cause you take your own life, outside of a military or spur of the moment, heroic act.

Look at the reasons why people may take their own lives...

Debt = despair = depression = mental illness
Addiction (of any kind) = despair = depression = mental illness
Loneliness/rejection/loss = despair = depression = mental illness
Failure = despair = depression = mental illness
Terminal/life changing diagnosis = despair = depression = mental illness
Guilt = despair = depression = mental illness
Eating disorders = ditto
Stress = ditto
Fear of loss = ditto
Depression = ditto (just a more direct route)

How can you sit someone down if you don’t even recognise any problem even exists anyway?
That is what makes it such a difficult subject.
What you have quoted is probably the main reason we see so many devastated families.

For many it makes no sense whatsoever, at least with a history of mental illness you have some reason.

There is no closure, no answers and there will always be that question, why?

Also just a thought like, wh don't the local authority/similar have a person who is trained stationed near the bridge to do regular walks of the bridge and to talk to people who do go there to jump/seek help.

It's a good idea but difficult due to costs. Mental health work is already chronically underfunded for people who have identified as needing help. There's no money to have people walking around on the off chance that someone is considering jumping. It would have to be a volunteer position which relies on goodwill and all that.

I get you aren't after an argument mate.

We have about 20 male suicides a year in Sunderland, our rate is a little higher than England but not significantly, a little lower than the North East but not significantly.

There is a lot of work that goes into suicide prevention, I've sat in on suicide prevention groups and assisted with a couple of strategies. There are national campaigns (elephant in the room from last year for example).

It's gone down the last few years not up, had a bump during the recession. My thought is that although it's not really improving its not getting worse either, which I honestly thought it would with austerity.

It feels like we're getting better at addressing it as a society to me tbh, even though I will acknowledge services should have more money chucked at them to tackle it.

Saying that I think if there was a couple million quid going for services locally to tackle 1 health issue of their choice it probably wouldnt go to suicide, as crass as it sounds they'd probably get more bang for there buck (as in lowering years of life lost) elsewhere unfortunately.

Informative post.
Is there a link between this and drug and alcohol use?

How can you sit someone down if you don’t even recognise any problem even exists anyway?
That is what makes it such a difficult subject.
What you have quoted is probably the main reason we see so many devastated families.

For many it makes no sense whatsoever, at least with a history of mental illness you have some reason.

There is no closure, no answers and there will always be that question, why?
Erm, I know. That’s why I quoted it. Sorry, I don’t quite follow what you are trying to say.

Erm, I know. That’s why I quoted it. Sorry, I don’t quite follow what you are trying to say.

It was simply about them not seeking any help, killing themselves and leaving lots of unanswered questions behind.

Nothing to do with sitting them down, you cannot sit someone down to talk about something that doesn’t exist outside of that persons head.

Many have gone to the grave without there seeming to have been any problem whatsoever.

As I said earlier it’s a tough one.
Not sure if that explains things better or not.

It was simply about them not seeking any help, killing themselves and leaving lots of unanswered questions behind.

Nothing to do with sitting them down, you cannot sit someone down to talk about something that doesn’t exist outside of that persons head.

Many have gone to the grave without there seeming to have been any problem whatsoever.

As I said earlier it’s a tough one.
Not sure if that explains things better or not.
Ah ok I think you’ve quoted the wrong post then, as I agree with you. I actually said, in response to the previous poster, sitting someone down and asking them to change will not work as (you have said also) quite often that person may not even realise themselves that their is a problem, regardless of how close they may actually be to taking their own life.

Hate that twat, brought in UC and then had the nerve to resign as it apparently "cut too deep" - aye Ian, UC is horrific full stop. When I first heard about it I thought "how are they going to do that then - pay everyone in advance ?, otherwise it'll be a nightmare"...........nope, a 6 week wait, rent arrears, people getting f***ing desperate due to having to rely on foodbanks and pray they don't get evicted from their homes :confused:🤬.
This is happening to my sister now. A marriage breakdown, in constant pain with illness, lost job, home, a suicide attempt, they have found a benign tumour the size of an orange growing against her spine, and just been told she had to go on UC so gets nowt for 6 weeks. They definitely know how to kick people when they are down.

This is happening to my sister now. A marriage breakdown, in constant pain with illness, lost job, home, a suicide attempt, they have found a benign tumour the size of an orange growing against her spine, and just been told she had to go on UC so gets nowt for 6 weeks. They definitely know how to kick people when they are down.
So sorry to hear that Joe, I hope your sis is on the mend soon bless her 😢 xx

That's a lot of anguish in one go mate,hope everything turns out fine for her in the end,thats a lot of hard knocks for one person to take.

That's awful - poor lass :( Hope she gets sorted.
I didn't realise that mate,i naively thought we were a country that had a safety net for those going through times of hardship,a society is judged by the way it treats its most vulnerable,sadly we don't seem to be measuring up very well nowadays.

I'm working part time from home last week and this week, even though I'm supposed to be on the sick right now as there isn't a safety net for self employed full time workers who just need a few weeks help until they are back on their feet. I apparently can claim ESA but last time I went through all the rigmarole to claim it, then they assessed me after I'd recovered and gone back to work. They said I was fit for work so didn't give me any money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back