July Voting Thread - Capture a Stranger, Street Style

Photograph of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

When I look through the pictures each month I usually find about three that I like. This month, if I'm honest, I only like one & that was Clyde's.
I know very little about photography & my method of judgment is - would I have that hanging on a wall?:)
I wouldn't have Clyde's picture on a wall but I still liked it. For some reason when I saw it, it reminded me of Amy Winehouse, probably the girls pout & dark features.
Now reading the thread I find the picture was taken in Camden, spooky.:lol:

BTW, I didn't realise that there are pro-photographers in the contest. I think if I knew who was a professional & who wasn't, it would have a bearing on how I vote.

When I look through the pictures each month I usually find about three that I like. This month, if I'm honest, I only like one & that was Clyde's.
I know very little about photography & my method of judgment is - would I have that hanging on a wall?:)
I wouldn't have Clyde's picture on a wall but I still liked it. For some reason when I saw it, it reminded me of Amy Winehouse, probably the girls pout & dark features.
Now reading the thread I find the picture was taken in Camden, spooky.:lol:

BTW, I didn't realise that there are pro-photographers in the contest. I think if I knew who was a professional & who wasn't, it would have a bearing on how I vote.

I think there's one pro. And he's hardly got any votes.

clyde, I believe has only been into photography for two years.

There's at least one more pro who joins in the comments but has only ever entered one shot, and came nowhere.

I've done something similar in Edinburgh (at the festival) in China (no problems) and in PAris (scary) I wouldn't dare try in Sunderland.

I think there's one pro. And he's hardly got any votes.

clyde, I believe has only been into photography for two years.

There's at least one more pro who joins in the comments but has only ever entered one shot, and came nowhere.
Someone claimed I was a pro once! :lol::eek: Couldn't be further from the truth...hate even being referred to as a photographer tbh.

Someone claimed I was a pro once! :lol::eek: Couldn't be further from the truth...hate even being referred to as a photographer tbh.
I thought you earnt money from taking pictures? I must have misread a post on here. I thought Clyde said he did photography part time professionally also.

I don't mean to be another dissenting voice, but I've found the competition a bit hard going lately. I found it really fun when it started out because it was a supportive community and I was learning stuff from others. I found it a bit stressful at times though because photography is something that I do for myself - I don't necessarily like to take pictures to a brief or to impress other people. I definitely do not think I've come anywhere near doing my skills justice in the competition. I do, however, want to keep entering as I think it's a really good thing and I want it to continue to grow. But when I see the blunt, unconstructive comments I just think, you kna what, it's not worth the hassle and the bruised self-esteem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to be another dissenting voice, but I've found the competition a bit hard going lately. I found it really fun when it started out because it was a supportive community and I was learning stuff from others. I found it a bit stressful at times though because photography is something that I do for myself - I don't necessarily like to take pictures to a brief or to impress other people. I definitely do not think I've come anywhere near doing my skills justice in the competition. I do, however, want to keep entering as I think it's a really good thing and I want it to continue to grow. But when I see the blunt, unconstructive comments I just think, you kna what, it's not worth the hassle and the bruised self-esteem.

Just do what I do and take dull photos, no wins but no nasty comments either - a win for the meek and bland.

I thought you earnt money from taking pictures? I must have misread a post on here. I thought Clyde said he did photography part time professionally also.

i do some work for Puma UK, shooting new shoes and launch events etc but i'm not really a pro, i would like to get more photography work but it's pretty hard out there to get noticed.

tbh it doesn't bother me if there are pros on here. The winning entries are usually the most interesting take on the theme, rarely the best shot technically.

The reasons for my votes. Am using AB's guidelines - "Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic. Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved."

I think all the photographs are good so I'm going to vote for the ones that were the least staged and looked like they were one offs ie could only be taken in the instant they were taken. The ones that were more environmental photography, or taken when people would expect to have pictures taken of them haven't got a vote.

TomTomMacute - Les The Scientist - HueJorgan

These people probably were strangers to you, but they would probably expect pictures to be taken of them dressed as they were which takes the edge off the picture for me in this category.

Dan42 - When I first saw this picture I got the impression that the lad was surprised and looked like he wanted to run off. VOTE

ThankHeaven4Shed7 - Nice photograph, but a little staged perhaps? If you didn't get the shot first time you would probably be able to get it the second time.

Taipeisafc - I really like the "capture" between the posts, the colours. VOTE

Amnorrageordie - Meets the theme 100% in my eyes. Maybe not the most perfect photograph ever, but I love the high key effect with the little girl's hair. A second earlier or later and you wouldn't have captured the expression. My favourite of the month. VOTE

The Great Soprendo - I must ask, did you ask the lass if you could photograph her? If you didn't you were incredibly brave taking a picture of her (because in an enclosed space rather than outside it could possibly be seen as a bit strange. If I was sitting on a train and someone photographed me I would probably think weird rather than that the photographer was taking photographs for a competition!). So if you didn't ask, then extra kudos for your bravery, and if you did ask (for courtesy) well I like the photograph. I would have cropped the bottom of the photograph at about handbag level. VOTE

Mine I do think it met the theme, but it's the first time I think I wish I had a better camera. I've never blamed my camera for my failings before but my subject seems a bit unclear and I don't know why. She should be in focus on an autofocus camera. Is it a pixel thing I don't know. Thanks for the vote Socrates!

Elliot - I think this is more EP, and I would have gone in a little closer.

Phil - I'm usually a fan of your photography but this one just misses for me. I'm not sure who the "stranger" is and the light on the left hand guy is a little distracting (he also looks like he is picking his nose on a quick glance).

Clyde - Probably one of your better entries, no weird colours! I do like the black and white for the picture too. However, I am yet to be convinced that the bride is a "stranger" ?? If it is a very unlucky coincidence then again I apologize.

Madmackem - If a train can be considered street, then I guess a beach can be street too. However, you probably had a while to set up the picture as the parents were looking away. Could have done with the baby looking at you too maybe.

Not Spavin - I like that you have concentrated more on the street, with just a little stranger in it. Different. It misses for a vote for me though because I know you can take good photographs and the lighting spoils it. The alley is a little too dark and the sky is too light. (Though I like the way it catches the wall on the left). I would have waited for that lit car to have got out the way too so you could see your stranger's silhouette better - having said that the stranger wouldn't be there! :) The joys of photography.

peachbum said:
The reasons for my votes. Am using AB's guidelines - "Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic. Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved."

I think all the photographs are good so I'm going to vote for the ones that were the least staged and looked like they were one offs ie could only be taken in the instant they were taken. The ones that were more environmental photography, or taken when people would expect to have pictures taken of them haven't got a vote.

TomTomMacute - Les The Scientist - HueJorgan

These people probably were strangers to you, but they would probably expect pictures to be taken of them dressed as they were which takes the edge off the picture for me in this category.

Dan42 - When I first saw this picture I got the impression that the lad was surprised and looked like he wanted to run off. VOTE

ThankHeaven4Shed7 - Nice photograph, but a little staged perhaps? If you didn't get the shot first time you would probably be able to get it the second time.

Taipeisafc - I really like the "capture" between the posts, the colours. VOTE

Amnorrageordie - Meets the theme 100% in my eyes. Maybe not the most perfect photograph ever, but I love the high key effect with the little girl's hair. A second earlier or later and you wouldn't have captured the expression. My favourite of the month. VOTE

The Great Soprendo - I must ask, did you ask the lass if you could photograph her? If you didn't you were incredibly brave taking a picture of her (because in an enclosed space rather than outside it could possibly be seen as a bit strange. If I was sitting on a train and someone photographed me I would probably think weird rather than that the photographer was taking photographs for a competition!). So if you didn't ask, then extra kudos for your bravery, and if you did ask (for courtesy) well I like the photograph. I would have cropped the bottom of the photograph at about handbag level. VOTE

Mine I do think it met the theme, but it's the first time I think I wish I had a better camera. I've never blamed my camera for my failings before but my subject seems a bit unclear and I don't know why. She should be in focus on an autofocus camera. Is it a pixel thing I don't know. Thanks for the vote Socrates!

Elliot - I think this is more EP, and I would have gone in a little closer.

Phil - I'm usually a fan of your photography but this one just misses for me. I'm not sure who the "stranger" is and the light on the left hand guy is a little distracting (he also looks like he is picking his nose on a quick glance).

Clyde - Probably one of your better entries, no weird colours! I do like the black and white for the picture too. However, I am yet to be convinced that the bride is a "stranger" ?? If it is a very unlucky coincidence then again I apologize.

Madmackem - If a train can be considered street, then I guess a beach can be street too. However, you probably had a while to set up the picture as the parents were looking away. Could have done with the baby looking at you too maybe.

Not Spavin - I like that you have concentrated more on the street, with just a little stranger in it. Different. It misses for a vote for me though because I know you can take good photographs and the lighting spoils it. The alley is a little too dark and the sky is too light. (Though I like the way it catches the wall on the left). I would have waited for that lit car to have got out the way too so you could see your stranger's silhouette better - having said that the stranger wouldn't be there! :) The joys of photography.

Cheers PB, some useful feedback there and fwiw I agree with your comments.

...and there was me thinking "how daring" and "what a brill shot to actually get the guy tasting the olive" from the market trader AND it being visible going into his mouth - and then not being chased out of the market afterwards :lol:

Peachy: I didn't ask her - partly because I think it would have spoiled the candid nature of it, and partly because I bottled it...so thought it better to take it without asking! The Olympus Trip helps with that cos it doesn't make much noise as you take the picture, though you do inevitably feel a bit odd doing it surreptitiously. And thanks for the vote by the way!

peachy: I didn't ask her - partly because i think it would have spoiled the candid nature of it, and partly because i bottled it...so thought it better to take it without asking! The olympus trip helps with that cos it doesn't make much noise as you take the picture, though you do inevitably feel a bit odd doing it surreptitiously. And thanks for the vote by the way!
:cool:

Interesting opinion! This was not in the least bit staged (I can't even speak the same language as this kid!). It was taken on a walk up to park Guell in Barcelona and I didn't get the chance to get the shot I wanted because I had the wrong lens on and didn't have time to change. There were actually two kids cleaning the car but I missed one of them by the time I got my camera out and composed, and this kid had buggered off before I got chance to get another. I had one shot at it and this was the result. Not brilliant but it was kind of interesting to me.

thanks mate and cheers for the votes people!

will say it again though, it was not the same girl as the other pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back