July Voting Thread - Capture a Stranger, Street Style

Photograph of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy m said:
:lol::lol:

I had an entry for this month, but I couldn't be arsed with all the bitching that inevitably happens - admittedly only from a minority but enough for me to say 'fuck that.' It's supposed to be fun!! :confused:

It's shite.

It's shite.
:lol::lol: I did genuinely laugh there. Cos it's true. :cry:

Who and where? Apart from Tired Eyes rather outspoken manner, I wouldn't say there was any bitching. :confused:

It is as fun as you make it isn't it?
Pretty much every month - take a look through the voting threads, very nearly always gets a bit 'heated' shall we say.

Although it can be quite entertaining it just takes the shine off things a bit if you have to explain and justify everything.

But that's mebbes just me.

As my photo has rocketed from 3 votes to 5 today ( thanks for those who voted) maybe I should withdraw my entries for the Port of Tyne competition.

But then again maybe not.

As a winner twice, and runner up twice, I've had a chance to talk to the judges and believe me every one has a different take on the photographs they are judging.

Take the last time when I wasn't even going to enter the photograph that won, and only did so at my wife's insistence.
The judge, a professional photographer, liked it and I was £500 better off.
Plus a good meal.

And I'm still picking up tips and learning from this great little forum and competition.

:lol::lol: I did genuinely laugh there. Cos it's true. :cry:

Pretty much every month - take a look through the voting threads, very nearly always gets a bit 'heated' shall we say.

Although it can be quite entertaining it just takes the shine off things a bit if you have to explain and justify everything.

But that's mebbes just me.

It does get a bit arsey at times, but in the most part the feedback is constructive enough. Seems to get a little bit worse every month, sadly.

It does get a bit arsey at times, but in the most part the feedback is constructive enough. Seems to get a little bit worse every month, sadly.

I love the fights, one of the main reasons I tune in :lol:

Mainly because they are so utterly pointless

I enjoy tired eyes breakdown and critique of every entry. I might start doing the same and commenting on all from my limited knowledge.

I wish everyone did the same to be honest.

As for getting into arsey arguments just ignore it and don't rise. Take the observations and critiques and disgard the rest :lol:

I enjoy tired eyes breakdown and critique of every entry. I might start doing the same and commenting on all from my limited knowledge.

I wish everyone did the same to be honest.

As for getting into arsey arguments just ignore it and don't rise. Take the observations and critiques and disgard the rest :lol:

I agree with this, I alwats find Tired Eyes critique's quite good actually and the world is all about opinions. If you ever watch any of these judging shows on TV there is usually one of the judges who is quite abrupt and brutal. Personally if he says one of my photos is utter shit then fair enough - maybe to him it is.

Yeah, think I get the "picture" :confused:

adiós.

Don't be so gay, come back.

My only counter-comment to what you've said would be that I think you're wrong in your points about the choice of themes, and I think you picked the wrong tone to express them in. I am sure AB22 has many better things he could be doing than organising competitions for us lot. Give him some credit.

Apart from that, you can carry on tearing into to the entries as far as I'm concerned, including mine in those months I enter.

I think you're right on all of the above. And agree with AB22's stance 100%. If the critiques are constructive, everyone's happy.

Yes but I hate it when we all have to be nicey-nicey. Even though I've criticised Tired Eyes for the way he complained about the choice of themes, I still prefer strongly expressed views that are from the heart and don't mince words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, the pantomime baddie is back :)

When I "judge" the shots, I'm looking for it to make me think or feel something, I'm looking for unique, special, emotional, something along those lines.

How do I give constructive criticism on TGS shot for example ?

A person reading the paper on public transport, it happens a thousand times a day, it's certainly not unique, it's not special, it doesn't make me think, it's a "Standard sneaky shot of a person on Metro, meh." how is this an offensive appraisal of his shot ?

Now look at the shots I voted for -

TTM - Made me think "ahh, clever"
HJ - Made me smile, how often do you see a Grandad in kids face paint, it's unique to me, I've never seen it before, not only that but he's captured him looking at the camera, brilliant !

Where have I been offensive in my comments, if anyone has a grievance I'd of thought it'd be peachbum, coz reading that back it does sound harsh but I was just surprised at what she had entered considering her own previously high standards and imo this months shot is poor, can I not say that, is that what you're saying, I can't be Simon Cowell, I have to be Amanda Holden ??

The only constructive criticism I could give TGS for example is, "choose another subject" but I think that's harsher than what I actually said, however, I never want to be the cause of a non entry, just because they're scared of what I may or may not say, that's awful, I don't want that at all but since that revelation it seems I also have some support for my blunt approach.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with strongly expressed views, and I hope Tired Eyes carries on posting, all I'm asking for is some constructive comment, how the picture could be improved etc.

Quick question for Clyde:

Is this stranger:

her:

Stalker alert!

bloody hell, that is actually quite scarey, lol, the top pic which i entered this month was took in london, was sat having a beer outside a bar near kings cross and was just snapping away, the girl and her friends came out of iirc the camden town hall so i think she had just been married as a few moments later a limo type car pulled up and she got in there with a fella.
the second shot was took in Ciutadella in Menorca when i was on my holidays about 5 weeks ago at the festival of saint joan....i wish i knew the females in question but sadly i dont but they do look quite alike.

bloody hell, that is actually quite scarey, lol, the top pic which i entered this month was took in london, was sat having a beer outside a bar near kings cross and was just snapping away, the girl and her friends came out of iirc the camden town hall so i think she had just been married as a few moments later a limo type car pulled up and she got in there with a fella.
the second shot was took in Ciutadella in Menorca when i was on my holidays about 5 weeks ago at the festival of saint joan....i wish i knew the females in question but sadly i dont but they do look quite alike.

I think they are the same person. Does anyone else think that they are? Sorry if I'm wrong, but those mouths are identical. Three earrings too.

Must admit I find taking part in this competition more depressing rather than encouraging. The pro guys are obviously streets ahead of the rest of us, it's like a bunch of sunday league lads playing against Man Utd every month. Apparently I might learn something... so far I have.... that taking part is largely pointless. :confused:

Must admit I find taking part in this competition more depressing rather than encouraging. The pro guys are obviously streets ahead of the rest of us, it's like a bunch of sunday league lads playing against Man Utd every month. Apparently I might learn something... so far I have.... that taking part is largely pointless. :confused:
Nought wrong with competing with the people who take pictures for a profession. Do your best, listen watch and learn. I know there is the odd picture posted that is far better than the rest but sometimes perhaps the theme isn't met or it just doesn't appeal for some reason and it doesn't necessarily win. I am just a novice at digital photography with a rubbishy quality camera, but I still enjoy trying to meet the challenge every month. So keep going! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back