July Voting - Colour Contrast

July challenge winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voted for Madmackem. Judging on it being so bright and vibrant (my understanding of the theme)

special note to ICBYD's which I think is a fantastic shot but not 'punchy' enough for the theme IMO.

Biffabeercan - Nice idea, not enough colour contrast ooomph imo.

tom tom macute
- Nice shot but clearly tonal contrast not colour contrast, doesn't meet theme imo.

ajax_andy - I'd of trimmed the right hand side.

MalmoMakem
- I'd of cropped the bike wheel out and perhaps tried to position myself to remove that yellow bin in the background too.

minkeysteve - Lovely colours, perhaps not enough background colouring, just missed out on a vote.

smoker - Doesn't meet theme imo.

peachbum - Colour contrast but doesn't do anything for me.

paws - Colours looks way too fake/artificial for my liking.

MaDMaCKeM - Stunning shot, it looks 3D :eek: really like this, one minor quibble though, the distracting blue on the left but this months winner by a mile - VOTE

2310 Return - Doesn't really do it for me

Kid Galahad - Doesn't really do it for me.

Amnorrageordie - Doesn't really do it for me.

chinamackem - Evil looking cock.

Icarebecauseyoudo - Doesn't meet theme imo.

robcal - Nice contrast but doesn't do it for me, it's too empty, I'd of tried to make more use of the Olympic rings perhaps.

My Left Foot - Really nice shot, good colours, just missed out on a vote.

;)

Minkeysteve and kidgalahad for me. Good colours. I found it hard to find something that wasnt just colourful and boring, been all over this month looking at all kinds of crap.Ended up taking photos in the living room of sweets on a window sill!
I got the 3d effect using bluetac and a cocktail stick.
Thanks for the votes guys :)

First vote for the chameleon here

Unbelievable, thought it would be a clear winner :eek:

Icarebecauseyoudo said:

I do like it but I'd like to see its tail anarl and I only ever vote for one

Haven't got enough life to comment on all of the photos, but my favourites were:

Minkey Steve
Lovely shot imo. Really like the vibrant colours and the almost symmetrical composition. I think it's a shame there wasn't more 'green' in the background though as I felt that that was main contrasting colour.

Smoker
Good idea and as always your night sky is fantastic. I just feel that it didn't quite meet the theme as it was the light trail which was the colour contrast and for some reason (in my male autistic brain) I feel the contrast needs to be a physical object (it probably doesn't, but my tiny mind can't cope with that.

Peachbum
I think you went with the same mindset as me; find two completely contrasting colours and take a photo of them, rather than thinking about it being an interesting photo. Your shot completely meets the theme but doesn't hold my interest.

MadMAckem
The colour contrast is fantastic and the depth of field gives it more interest as it got me wondering what the yellow and greens are. vote

2310 Return
Love this photo, great shot and really stands out having a black background. Loads of contrasting colours in the skin which just about meets the theme imo. vote

ICareBecauseYouDo
I love this photo. Stunning landscape and great colours. However, it was let down for the same reason as Smoker's shot didn't get a vote - my brain can't cope with not having an object of completely contrasting colour which my eye is drawn to. I'm almost tempted to use MSPaint to draw post box half way down the hill.

Well done to everyone, some good shots, but the above were my favourites.

Haven't got enough life to comment on all of the photos, but my favourites were:

Minkey Steve
Lovely shot imo. Really like the vibrant colours and the almost symmetrical composition. I think it's a shame there wasn't more 'green' in the background though as I felt that that was main contrasting colour.

Smoker
Good idea and as always your night sky is fantastic. I just feel that it didn't quite meet the theme as it was the light trail which was the colour contrast and for some reason (in my male autistic brain) I feel the contrast needs to be a physical object (it probably doesn't, but my tiny mind can't cope with that.

Peachbum
I think you went with the same mindset as me; find two completely contrasting colours and take a photo of them, rather than thinking about it being an interesting photo. Your shot completely meets the theme but doesn't hold my interest.

MadMAckem
The colour contrast is fantastic and the depth of field gives it more interest as it got me wondering what the yellow and greens are. vote

2310 Return
Love this photo, great shot and really stands out having a black background. Loads of contrasting colours in the skin which just about meets the theme imo. vote

ICareBecauseYouDo
I love this photo. Stunning landscape and great colours. However, it was let down for the same reason as Smoker's shot didn't get a vote - my brain can't cope with not having an object of completely contrasting colour which my eye is drawn to. I'm almost tempted to use MSPaint to draw post box half way down the hill.

Well done to everyone, some good shots, but the above were my favourites.

I think ICBYD and I fell into the trap of trying to make photographs that weren't just about colour contrast.;)

Got my vote. Cracking picture.

If i'm honest, there's not one entry that I don't like this month, and almost :)lol:) all of them hit the theme.

Well done to all

BiffaBeercan - I thought this was a strong first entry and matches the theme really well. There's not a lot you could have done to improve the composition but it's just a little boring. Maybe boosting the colours might have made it more interesting.

tom tom macute - really nice capture. but you know this didn't meet the theme!

ajax_andy - I love street photography, but this is a tad boring... like you say, it has colour!

Malmo - bike wheel is distracting, and I can't help think that there was something much more interesting off to the right with those light trails! If you'd have moved the subject to the bottom right on an angle and got in some nice light trails - it would have been a definite contender.

minkeysteve - Nice shot and really nice flower. I'd have been tempted to cut its head off and place it on a b/w background to remove the pink flowers from the photo, which for me are a little distracting.

smoker - I love your astro stuff, but i'm not sure the two mediums work. The light painting is distracting.

tiredeyes - I'd have recomposed it so the leaf was going from corner to corner so the image was split in half. The leaf being blurred out is also a bit distracting so you might have been able to fiddle with your aperture so it was all in focus.

peachbum - not sure how much effort you've put into this months because the last few months you seem to have trailed off with some obscure entries (cock and balls watering cans etc...). That said, this hits the theme, and I like the colours, but the reflection (?) is a little distracting.

Paws - Love it, and I know its contrasting, but I think others meet the theme better. Still a great shot mind.

MadmaCKeM - whats not to like. nice colours, well shot, interesting idea... well done. VOTE

2310 Return - Same again, great shot. Absolutely fits the theme and a lovely shot. I would have wanted to see the tail in the shot too, but then i guess you compromise on the detail. Well done. VOTE

Kid Galahad - Nice shot, but blurry.... yes, you need a proper camera!

amnorrageordie - nice idea, i'm not sure if its just my eyes but the grass looks pretty sharp, whereas the pegs look a little soft.. not sure whats going on there!

chinamackem - crop the pic so the head is off to the side and thats a canny portrait! I like it, but its just too soft....

ICBYD - whoaaah! it's like something from the shire in lord of the rings! really nice shot, just doesn't hit the theme enough to earn a vote from me!

robcal - shame the rings aren't complete, and moving the flag to centre, or right hand third would have made this a much stronger composition. a nice shot, if not a little flat.

My left foot - a nice shot that hits the theme, but like robcals, a little flat and not particularly interesting.

If i'm honest, there's not one entry that I don't like this month, and almost :)lol:) all of them hit the theme.
Thank you for the critique. Have to disagree about almost all hitting the theme though, I reckon most didn't get it at all. But I shall endeavour to say why later. :)

peachbum - not sure how much effort you've put into this months because the last few months you seem to have trailed off with some obscure entries (cock and balls watering cans etc...). That said, this hits the theme, and I like the colours, but the reflection (?) is a little distracting.

I always try! I admit I am not always successful though. I never saw the cock and balls in the watering cans :lol: someone else saw that. I walked around for quite a while taking photographs that met the theme. I actually took a picture of that poster in a window then realised there were lots of reflections so moved on to other shots, then I saw a stand up sign outside the shop, which I thought didn't show reflections, but I realise know that it did.

I do try to take pictures I haven't seen before though, so maybe that is why I come across as odd :confused:

MaDMaCKeM
2310 Return
minkysteve get my votes this month, they meet the theme the most.
Again another good month all round ;)

I always try! I admit I am not always successful though. I never saw the cock and balls in the watering cans :lol: someone else saw that. I walked around for quite a while taking photographs that met the theme. I actually took a picture of that poster in a window then realised there were lots of reflections so moved on to other shots, then I saw a stand up sign outside the shop, which I thought didn't show reflections, but I realise know that it did.

I'm really only referring to the last couple of months. The watering cans and the shark bite. The bite in particular was such an interesting subject and could have been a great capture, but you seemed to just take a snap of it on the sofa. Don't mean to sound too critical, just came to expect better from you :)

My reasons for votes/not votes - using ab22et 's links for the theme.

Biffabeercan
I like this photo but I don't think the colours are best for the theme of colour contrast. Generally it would have been good if one of the people had turned to look at the camera.

TomTommacute
Theme is colour contrast and we get a black and white photo! :lol:
Like the photo.

ajaxandy
Sorry but you saw something colurful, snapped and entered. Doesn't look like you put much effort into your entry at all.

Malmomackem
I can see you went for complementary colours to make a colour contrast entry, but I find I'm not sure I know what I'm meant to be looking at? the sign, the bright lights on the right, the bike on the left (which definitely detracts from the entry). Were the colours like that or is there PP there?

Minkeysteve Meets theme well! It has a vaguely "fake" feel to it, but overall a good entry VOTE

smoker
Meets colour contrast but as a picture it fails (sorry smokes). If I could only see the orange wave (whatever it is and the blue sky, i'd love it, but there is a collection of stuff towards bottom right that spoil it (for me))

Tiredeyes
Meets theme well. A tad clichéd as a picture - we must have seen strawberries and leaves a million times before; I would also have altered the proportion of green to red a little. VOTE

Mine
I think I understood the theme and even if the photo isn't liked I am actually quite surprised I have no votes this time. From the theme I think we were meant to take a picture in colour along the lines red/green, blue/orange, purple/yellow. This I have done but got no votes whilst a black and white entry has a vote!:lol: :lol: (my photo isn't showing anymore!)

Paws
I can see that you have tried to go for colour contrast but two things let the photograph down, there is too much of a third colour which detracts from the blue/orange combination and the silhouette isn't that interesting.

Madmackem
It looks like you will be a runaway winner and well done you, but for meeting the theme I don't think you do. There are too many competing colours.
I like the idea in your photo "floating" one above the rest.

2310return
You have got the colours in the chameleon but the photograph has a huge amount of black in it, hence fails to meet the theme. Like the photo otherwise.

Kidgalahad Good photo but doesn't meet theme; red white and black.

Amnorrageordie
If the theme was primary colours, then maybe but imo you have failed to understand the theme.

ChinaMackemMeets theme nearly, perhaps a little too much brown and the green is a bit weak, just fails on getting a vote.

ICBYD
Love the photograph, but as I try to judge all the photographs on the same criteria then I can see more than two colours predominating. I can see the orange and blue but there is a bit too much green to meet the theme.

Robcal
Meets theme well! I really like your idea but I think you could have executed it better. Those Olympic rings should have been included! VOTE

Myleftfoot
Just misses on colour contrast (like the teachers in gowns), but I like the photograph.

MinkeySteve is my winning photofor the month.

Last edited:
I'm really only referring to the last couple of months. The watering cans and the shark bite. The bite in particular was such an interesting subject and could have been a great capture, but you seemed to just take a snap of it on the sofa. Don't mean to sound too critical, just came to expect better from you :)
It's |OK :). The theme was human form and I tried to get rule of thirds, light and dark, all sorts into the photo. I mentioned the "shark bite" to indicate it was ok to discuss the scar, else people may have felt it would have been rude to notice/mention a scar). I love these contests because it makes me think about taking photographs. I bin 99% of them anyway afterwards and have only ever really liked two of my entries (growballs and the orchids against the summer sky, where janiep noticed I'd left a plastic tag on the plant, I had never seen it in any amount of looks, then she pointed it out and it has jarred ever since -but I have learnt to try and look at other things other than what I'm taking a picture of).

I don't think I am a fan of still life, a totally new area for me, but if I get a chance or an idea I'll probably go for it - I like the challenges we are set.

Minkeysteve Meets theme well! It has a vaguely "fake" feel to it, but overall a good entry VOTE

Madmackem
It looks like you will be a runaway winner and well done you, but for meeting the theme I don't think you do. There are too many competing colours.
I like the idea in your photo "floating" one above the rest.

I disagree with not meeting the theme, there are contrasting colours in the main - esp red/green, the colour next to green on the colour wheel is yellow and red contrasts almost with yellow as well as it does with green. There is a splash of blue in the corner and a white M. You say mine has too many competing (contrasting?) colours but minkeysteve's doesnt? On the whole I think he has a greater colour range in his photo, Not that it isnt a very good photo (I voted for it too)

I disagree with not meeting the theme, there are contrasting colours in the main - esp red/green, the colour next to green on the colour wheel is yellow and red contrasts almost with yellow as well as it does with green. There is a splash of blue in the corner and a white M. You say mine has too many competing (contrasting?) colours but minkeysteve's doesnt? On the whole I think he has a greater colour range in his photo, Not that it isnt a very good photo (I voted for it too)

I was using ab22et's links and tried to judge each picture to the same criteria, one of which was

Bringing additional colours into the image will decrease the level of contrast. The viewer’s attention will tend to shift away from your focal points when other colours are present.

The purple and yellow of the flowers are diametrically opposite on the colour wheel (ie purple is made from the two primary colours that aren't yellow). That is why minkeysteve's picture works (for this theme). Your red contrasts with the green but not the yellow. So I think your picture is colourful I don't think it meets the theme well. IMHO :)

Still I met the theme and am still on 0 and a black and white entry now has two votes and you are winning. :) Take my comments in good faith and fun. I liked the last month's competition and enjoyed taking the photos. Give us a vote someone!! For meeting the theme if nothing else! :lol:

My reasons for votes/not votes - using ab22et 's links for the theme.

ajaxandy
Sorry but you saw something colurful, snapped and entered. Doesn't look like you put much effort into your entry at all.

Haha yes I pretty much admitted that in my post lol

My first win :) Just want to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to consider and vote, some good photos this month.
I'm glad this forum is here - It keeps me interested more than any other with these little competitions. Even though there is no prize it is something that gets me out and about actually looking for something to enter here. The group of members are great for help and advice.

Thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back