July and August 2021 - discussion thread - STATUES/SCULPTURES - HUMAN

Just remembered these figures. We were on holiday in Eyemouth and I'd noticed these small figures of women and children along the coastline. In 1881 there was a bad storm and a number of fishing boats were lost at sea. Each village/settlement along the coast has a statue like this with the actual number of widows and bairns looking out to sea waiting for their husband/Dad to return. They just really got to me and made me well up when I saw each plinth.

Logon or register to see this image

@tonyfromalnwick I was stood by St Cuthbert at Chatton earlier this week. We stayed in a nearby cottage last week. I've only been back home in Cambs for a day and I am missing Northumberland already.
Just remembered these figures. We were on holiday in Eyemouth and I'd noticed these small figures of women and children along the coastline. In 1881 there was a bad storm and a number of fishing boats were lost at sea. Each village/settlement along the coast has a statue like this with the actual number of widows and bairns looking out to sea waiting for their husband/Dad to return. They just really got to me and made me well up when I saw each plinth.

It's a powerful memorial that one. I found it particularly moving as it was a gorgeous sunny day with a calm sea the last time I was there and we had to imagine how minging it would be out there in a storm.

Last edited:
@tonyfromalnwick I was stood by St Cuthbert at Chatton earlier this week. We stayed in a nearby cottage last week. I've only been back home in Cambs for a day and I am missing Northumberland already.

It's a powerful memorial that one. I found it particularly moving as it was a gorgeous sunny day with a calm sea the last time I was there and we had to imagine how minging it would be out there in a storm.

Did you visit St Cuthberts cave, a mile or so from the statue ?

Sorry to report there are surprisingly few statues near me, I could've made an effort and gone to parliament Square or Trafalgar Square, but I was too lazy.
Thinking about Sunderland I suppose there are 2 famous statues, one of Jack Crawford and another commemorating the Victoria Hall disaster. The VH one is particularly moving. It seems it has been moved around quite a bit but I like where it is now, and the fact it is enclosed.
Nobody fancy taking a current day photo of it?

Here is Jack Crawford MLF nailing his colours to the mast
https://ibb.co/hfwzdg2

Last edited:

Back