July and August 2021 - discussion thread - STATUES/SCULPTURES - HUMAN

It has been hard to find statues worth picturing. I took this one of Queen Vic but she is perched high up and my phone zoom didn't do her justice.
Logon or register to see this image

There was this one (one of the Kings crowned in Kingston) also high up, but is it a statue?
https://ibb.co/qm5yDjf
Yesterday I noticed Kingston council have organised a project to find a new statue for the town centre, apparently there are 7 on display, I hope one will help me get a winning entry....
Edit - Six of the 7 are sculptures, one (Aangel) is part-human so @peachy if I take one of Aangel, will you accept it

Last edited:
I said human so that random shape type sculptures wouldn't be included. An angel sounds like it comes under human. So it would be fine with me.

@gluepot

I'd say your second photo above would count as a sculpture? It will be down to the voters as ever whether entries meet the competition criteria

Two that don't pass muster for the competition - definitely not St Cuthbert.

View media item 6772

View media item 6773

@becs (entry comment) St George slaying the dragon. It was made by Italian POW's stationed on Orkney during WWII. St George is also the patron saint of soldiers and several places in Italy. It's constructed out of left over concrete and barbed wire from building the Churchill barriers to the south of the mainland to protect Scapa Flow.
@gluepot (comment from entry thread) This is a photo of a new sculpture called "Aangel" (yes Aangel) on show high above the main shopping area in Kingston. It is 3 dimensional even though it may not appear so. It looks like an angel swooping down on the shoppers...or maybe it is protecting them?
@macum1920 ( comment from entry thread)
Took this in client’s garden, ‘part’ human so hopefully peachy will allow. Was gonna try to get a good photo in Durham market place but liked this better 👍
@macum1920 ( comment from entry thread)
Took this on Saturday tea-time in wonderful Coventry, looked better on my phone but not too bad 👍
Ignore the smoking lady 🙄

Back