Judith Durham RIP

So tragic. I got my mum and dad tickets for her farewell tour at the SAGE. She wasn’t well on the night so had to cancel. But tickets were eligible for the rearranged tour date. And I recall journeys down the A1, along the A66 and down the M6 to the South Lakes with The Seekers on the player. And of course Big Daddy would come out to We Shall Not Be Moved.

She was such a big part of my life even though I was not a Seeker fan myself. She touched even those who weren’t a fan.

A true icon of Aussie music and 60s/70s folk music in general.

RIP JD.

Last edited:
RIP lovely Judith, the sweetest voice which she retained even into her latter years. I want to be Australian when I hear this song and when Judith sings the hairs on the back of my neck go up. I'll miss her.
They teach it to kids in primary school. Or they did at my sons primary school anyway. As a result we all learned it!!

If I WAS Australian I’d want it to be the national anthem!
The national anthem has changed just recently to make it inclusive to all. You have to remember that these things were written when the world was predominantly anglocentric and if your skin was a different colour then you really didn’t count. I think that even up until 1970 you could still get a permit to shoot Aboriginal people.
Thankfully we’ve all moved on a great deal since then.
And for the record I’m a dual national of Britain and Australia.

Back