Joy Division Fans

OOOSH YEAH

Striker
This month is 40 years since Unknown Pleasures was released.

Mary Anne Hobbs did a show today with the rest of the band. Was listening on my headphones and had a dodge into town. Had an interview with Hooky and after his interview they played ceremony by new order. I got that adrenaline rush from music you rarely get.

There’s an interview with Peter Savile about the artwork as well.

Mary Anne Hobbs - Unknown Pleasures at 40 - BBC Sounds

Everything about that album is pure f***ing excellence. Artwork, Ian, what came after. Just sublime man.

Ian was a f***ing Legend.

Logon or register to see this image

:cool:

Last edited:

40 years - f***ing hell

Tangential to the OP but their cover of Sister Ray is still absolute quality

agree with the OP though. The album is incredibly close to perfection.

Last edited:
Love it but Closer man......
Closer is a hard listen. Unknown Pleasures is just Ian & Martin. Just a clash of two f***ing weirdos meeting at the right time. Hannet recoded people going up and down in lifts. There’s tunes on bootlegs with Joy Division where Ian was singing down the phone.

You could say that about owt. I’m currently listening to ceremony. That was Ian’s tune. Imagine if he’d been in new order and been part of that. That was his tune.

Well I couldn't, as that's my favourite from that record.

That would make for an interesting listen mind.

I've just got the show on now. Didn't realise they were quite that young when they made the album.

Well I couldn't, as that's my favourite from that record.

That would make for an interesting listen mind.

I've just got the show on now. Didn't realise they were quite that young when they made the album.

Ian was 21/22 when he was writing those lyrics - his vision and beautiful use of words was astonishing for someone so young in my opinion

Fuck I feel old. I love every song on the album. Listening to it now after seeing this thread.

Back