Journo walks into the Saudi Consulate in Turkey......

I've read a report to say that the audio was from the watch he was wearing.

Khashoggi's Apple Watch may have recorded evidence, Turkish media reports

the bbc discussed this yesterday and discounted it as it only has a range of about 15 metres

As in that they knew it was bugged and did nothing about it?

we don't know how the audio was transmitted / received. was it on the victims person or was it in the building.

I would find it strange that the embassy was not searched on a regular basis for listening devices. I would also find it very strange that the victim would not be observed from the moment he walked into the embassy. Especially if there was a hit team in waiting.

bbc's Frank Gardner will be no lover of the Saudis but he is one journalist that is worth listening too.

He is of the opinion that if in his watch it would not have the ability to reach his phone.

he is also of the opinion, that Saudis don't send hit teams out to kill.

they will kidnap and render back to Saudi, which they have previous in doing.

likely scenario is he had a heart attack probably after a scuffle / fight

I find it difficult to believe that the Saudi's didn't have some back up plan as its likely even if rendering they would still have a body to take out the embassy

Last edited:
ive just read up on the transmitting theory. some phones use Bluetooth and some others use Bluetooth and wifi.

some reports are saying 10-15 metres max (presume that's Bluetooth only).

other reports are saying a far greater distance but it is unclear whether they are in premises where wifi is available and therefore connecting via that

I would expect the embassy's wifi system to be password protected

either way they have somehow got a recording

the bbc discussed this yesterday and discounted it as it only has a range of about 15 metres

we don't know how the audio was transmitted / received. was it on the victims person or was it in the building.

I would find it strange that the embassy was not searched on a regular basis for listening devices. I would also find it very strange that the victim would not be observed from the moment he walked into the embassy. Especially if there was a hit team in waiting.

bbc's Frank Gardner will be no lover of the Saudis but he is one journalist that is worth listening too.

He is of the opinion that if in his watch it would not have the ability to reach his phone.

I find it difficult to believe that the Saudi's didn't have some back up plan as its likely even if rendering they would still have a body to take out the embassy
I'm sure they were regularly searched, but that doesn't mean they were clever enough to find anything. Same happened in the Cold War yet every consulate was bugged to the high heavens!

Correct. an Apple Watch needs to be paired via Bluetooth to an iPhone. The watch itself is incapable of recording anything.

In order to retrieve any recording on the iPhone the authorities must have physical access to the phone and a way of circumventing the security needed to unlock it.

As Turkey have stated there is no sign of the missing man then they can not have access to his iPhone.

So either they are bullshitting or they are tacitly announcing that they have bugged a foreign embassy.

I'm sure they were regularly searched, but that doesn't mean they were clever enough to find anything. Same happened in the Cold War yet every consulate was bugged to the high heavens!
true

Correct. an Apple Watch needs to be paired via Bluetooth to an iPhone. The watch itself is incapable of recording anything.

In order to retrieve any recording on the iPhone the authorities must have physical access to the phone and a way of circumventing the security needed to unlock it.

As Turkey have stated there is no sign of the missing man then they can not have access to his iPhone.

So either they are bullshitting or they are tacitly announcing that they have bugged a foreign embassy.

as I understand it, his girlfriend was waiting nearby. perhaps, he feared a set up or it was a case of "just in case".

so it could be via her or somebody has bugged the building.

the statement of him being tortured is interesting as well.

very emotive word.

may be wrong but this is leading me to the girlfriend releasing info in order to stoke up interest / horror.

doesn't make sense for them to torture him in the embassy. far better to do it on the plane back or in a Saudi establishment.

Last edited:
true

as I understand it, his girlfriend was waiting nearby. perhaps, he feared a set up or it was a case of "just in case".

so it could be via her or somebody has bugged the building.

the statement of him being tortured is interesting as well.

very emotive word.

may be wrong but this is leading me to the girlfriend releasing info in order to stoke up interest / horror.

doesn't make sense for them to torture him in the embassy. far better to do it on the plane back or in a Saudi establishment.
Yes. His girlfriend was waiting nearby listening to him being tortured and dismembered on his iPhone and didn't call the police on it.

Hmmm.....

There was a reporter on BBC this morning interviewed and basically said there is video evidence of the bloke being dragged from a room where he was having a meeting with a consulate official, taken to another room where he was tortured and killed, and then his body was taken to another room where it was dismembered with chainsaws (?)

Makes you wonder how they managed to get hold of all this video stuff.

Yes. His girlfriend was waiting nearby listening to him being tortured and dismembered on his iPhone and didn't call the police on it.

Hmmm.....
as its an embassy, I wonder what powers the police have to enter.

save life and limb ?

could use the key the SAS had

but you do raise a good point

:lol:

Something should be said, the whole incident is a f***ing cowardly disgrace. The Turks have footage of a 15 strong hits quad (including a "forensics expert") entering the country via a private jet.
Being a coward used to bring the death penalty years ago, but just look at that Mackey fella and he will retire a very wealthy man for leaving his subordinate to fend for himself. Bit off topic I know, but frustrating still.

as its an embassy, I wonder what powers the police have to enter.

save life and limb ?

could use the key the SAS had

but you do raise a good point
With the express permission of the Ambassador.

Last edited:

I think some of the newer apple watches have 4G mind, which would mean that they don't need a phone anymore.

Being a coward used to bring the death penalty years ago, but just look at that Mackey fella and he will retire a very wealthy man for leaving his subordinate to fend for himself. Bit off topic I know, but frustrating still.

With the express permission of the Ambassador.

is he going to give it, knowing that they have just killed someone (allegedly)

we cant get these diplomats to pay a parking fine, so no chance to coughing up to an alleged murder

Back