Josh Maja > Bristol City

So a nice big dodge, and an erroneous assertion. Good stuff.
Ye daft as a brush if you think 6 goals in the French league is any kind of indication of quality (or lack of) like. To mention 3 lads who've each got well over 100 premier League goals in glittering careers is a step too far tho.

He just isnt. He might be with a lot of work and if he keeps on developing.

He was very good for us in league one and had several strengths to his game which were exceptional at that level, but he also had some glaring weaknesses, like a lack of real pace, unwillingness to chase and a lack of real strength which was a problem given he often had to play with his back to goal. A natural finisher, but not a natural striker - you could see why he'd been played as a link man at lower levels at times.

Well have to agree to disagree.

His touch is one of the best I've ever saw at Sunderland and his instinct is natural. He's now scoring goals in ligue 1.

When I see players like Maupay Wood Abraham and Calvert Lewin scoring in the premier League it's a coin toss if those players are better.

Well have to agree to disagree.

His touch is one of the best I've ever saw at Sunderland and his instinct is natural. He's now scoring goals in ligue 1.

When I see players like Maupay Wood Abraham and Calvert Lewin scoring in the premier League it's a coin toss if those players are better.

and yet just six months prior to this form he showed last season he was too raw and weak to trouble Championship defenders most of the time? Even allowing for the shit team, that's not a player who's even close to being ready for the PL. And he's scored what 6 goals in Ligue One, 3 against the worst side in the division, he isn't even a regular starter FFS. The Championship is mostly a better level than that, the keepers in Ligue One are horrific - look at all of Khazri's free kicks, look at Khazri's goal record to Maja's over there and then Khazri's in the PL.

Being realistic he's got talent, but Joel Asoro who had less talent but more raw pace and the ability to go past people looked more effective at Championship level. That's because like the players you've listed you've either got to be something special at the top level talent wise or bring a bit more physique and pace to the table and that's why Maja is way off the PL at the moment.

Last edited:
and yet just six months prior to this form he showed last season he was too raw and weak to trouble Championship defenders most of the time? Even allowing for the shit team, that's not a players who's even close to being ready for the PL.

Being realistic he's got talent, but Joel Asoro who had less talent but more raw pace and the ability to go past people looked more effective at Championship level. That's because like the players you've listed you've either got to be something special at the top level talent wise or bring a bit more physique and pace to the table and that's why Maja is way off the PL at the moment.

Your talking absolute rubbish there mind. So your judgement is based on his first handful of senior appearances? 😂

He's since been prolific league one and then has a one in 3 record in ligue 1.

Your trying to rationalise opinion it's just your opinion like I have mine. Time will only tell who's right.

Also since when have technique and positioning been weaker attributes to strength and pace?

I don't recall Phillips being fast or strong yet was premier League quality.

Your talking absolute rubbish there mind. So your judgement is based on his first handful of senior appearances? 😂

He's since been prolific league one and then has a one in 3 record in ligue 1.

Your trying to rationalise opinion it's just your opinion like I have mine. Time will only tell who's right.

Also since when have technique and positioning been weaker attributes to strength and pace?

I don't recall Phillips being fast or strong yet was premier League quality.

You are crackers man :lol: hes a proven league 1 performer and has done nothing anywhere else yet. He mat well do and Bristol City would be a great step up and a great test for him. He isn't a regular starter in ligue 1 and has struggled for the majority of the time in the majority of games he has played so far. good hat trick against the bottom club tbf. I would back him to do well if he went in the Championship but it is the next natural test for him -he is absolutely nowhere near Pl standard yet.

Aye mate and your missus just rang me to tell you, that youve got a free pass on any lass that takes your fancy for the next year. Make of it what you will. Reliable source etc

You are crackers man :lol: hes a proven league 1 performer and has done nothing anywhere else yet. He mat well do and Bristol City would be a great step up and a great test for him. He isn't a regular starter in ligue 1 and has struggled for the majority of the time in the majority of games he has played so far. good hat trick against the bottom club tbf. I would back him to do well if he went in the Championship but it is the next natural test for him -he is absolutely nowhere near Pl standard yet.

Ligue 1 football is higher level than the championship.

So I don't see how it's a step up

Bordeaux are doing terrible this season - not a slight towards Maja who is obviously doing well.

They have lost a lot of consecutive games in the league and were knocked out of the French Cup 3-2 by a third division team Pau FC last night. Pau have a ground capacity of 1,500.

Ligue 1 football is higher level than the championship.

So I don't see how it's a step up

The only team he has performed notably against was significantly weaker than championship standard. He’s got potential but completely unproven at any level above league 1
Too good for you, not a premier player, did ok in league one but not as good a record as will Grigg, buy him instead.
How can he be too good for them but not good enough for the prem? They are a good team

Last edited:
The only team he has performed notably against was significantly weaker than championship standard. He’s got potential but completely unproven at any level above league 1

How can he be too good for them but not good enough for the prem? They are a good team
Are they fuck

Back