Josh Maja > Bristol City

His season with us reminded me a lot of Tammy Abraham's loan spell with you. You'd watch him for 90 minutes and not understand the hype and then he'd score a goal from nothing.

His xG must have been colossal when he was here. His goals hid a lot of inadequacies in the squad in the first half of that season. If he stayed we'd have almost certainly finished 2nd. The drop off after he left was remarkable, which is a fairly big compliment to pay to a 19-year-old.

A lot of the disgruntlement some fans have against the owner all steams from, firstly, the inability to get him a new contract earlier in the season, before he hit a run of form and people started looking at him, and secondly, cashing in on him for 3 million when he did. Even if he left for free at the end of the seasons, the goals that he would have scored that would have seen us promoted were worth far more to the club.

In terms of would he sign for you? You never know, there are always some bizarrely cheap transfers to come out of France. His agent is widely disliked on here but I don't think he chases the money. I think he tries to plot the best possible career path for the player. He might be engineering the move because he sees Bristol as the best route into the Premier League while keeping him playing and developing.
We weren't looking promotion certainties when he was here so not sure how it could be presumed that we would have been promoted tbf. Also you equally couldn't presume that he would have kept scoring at the same rate.

We weren't looking promotion certainties when he was here so not sure how it could be presumed that we would have been promoted tbf. Also you equally couldn't presume that he would have kept scoring at the same rate.
Add to that he got injured shortly after joing Bordeaux and was out for the remainder of the season.

We're apparently in for him, opinions?
I’m not being at all disrespectful to you or your club mate, but it’s rumoured premier league clubs are sniffing about so you may miss out.
However, if that’s not the case and you have a chance to get him, I’d move heaven and earth to have him sign for you.
he will score you goals from nothing, he proved that with us. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha I remember that, ludicrous this board at times!
Some people still think he's shit. From the first time I saw him play for the U23s, where he outshone Asoro, he's looked like he had ability.
I’m not being at all disrespectful to you or your club mate, but it’s rumoured premier league clubs are sniffing about.
However, if that’s not the case and you have a chance to get him, I’d move heaven and earth to have him sign for you.
he will score goals from nothing, he proved that with us. Best of luck.
His hat-trick for Bordeaux was pretty much the same, Scores from chances that aren't even chances.

Last edited:
Great snap shot, and a good eye for goal. Very little else to his game. Greedy and two-faced.
Good first touch, quick feet, great instinctive finisher and a body frame that suggests that if he put the hard work in he could hold his own strength wise.

No he isn't the finished article but big lads often take longer to mature physically and he's still a bairn in relative terms.

..and hasn't scored since the hat trick against bottom side Nimes
He's played 2 games since, one of them away to Marseille
Some bitter lemons on here mind, Josh Maja has a better goal-to-minutes ratio than Harry Kane this season. He's 20 years old, in his first full season at Bordeaux - but he's shite apparently, because he scored a hattrick against the bottom club.

Funny how when anybody talks about Harry Kane's goal record, or Alan Shearer's, or Jermain Defoe's, nobody ever caveats that with 'ah but 10 of his 23 goals were against teams in the bottom 3 at the time, and another 6 were penalties. He didn't do much in the other games, if you just arbitrarily dismiss some of his goals'.

Last edited:
Some bitter lemons on here mind, Josh Maja has a better goal-to-minutes ratio than Harry Kane this season. He's 20 years old, in his first full season at Bordeaux - but he's shite apparently, because he scored a hattrick against the bottom club.

Funny how when anybody talks about Harry Kane's goal record, or Alan Shearer's, or Jermain Defoe's, nobody ever caveats that with 'ah but 10 of his 23 goals were against teams in the bottom 3 at the time, and another 6 were penalties. He didn't do much in the other games, if you just arbitrarily dismiss some of his goals'.
That is some batshit logic you've applied there mind. :lol:

I'd point it out to you but it should be really obvious.

S
Some people didn’t rate him because he “only scored goals”, but when he’s scoring goals in the Premier League, they’ll realise how good he was and how much we’ve missed him.

Fantastic finisher.
sell your goals you pay the price, we are very good at proving that

I mean why you've decided to mention Maja in the same sentence as these 3 is amazing. You've applied no thinking to the "better goal-to-minute" stats either. He's played nowhere near enough games for Bordeaux for that to even be a factor.

Good touch, very quick feet and brilliant finisher.

Scores goals. His link up play wasn't all that bad either.

I'd say he'd be a good fit if you can afford him

I read on here that he's lazy, doesn't win a header and weak as piss. Hope that helps mate.

Sorry, forgot one, has a heart the size of a pea.
I read on here that he's lazy, doesn't win a header and weak as piss. Hope that helps mate.

Sorry, forgot one, has a heart the size of a pea.
He's actually mint and should flourish in a team that plays football on the deck. Lovely footballer.

Last edited:
I mean why you've decided to mention Maja in the same sentence as these 3 is amazing
It's called reductio ad absurdum, you wally - it isn't a comparison of their ability, it's showing you that you accept one statistic at face value for one player, and not for another. The fact you didn't grasp that is rather worrying.

They are mentioned in the same sentence because it if I said to you 'Harry Kane has scored 20 goals this season', you wouldn't go through his goals and micro analyse whether he scored most of them against Norwich or Liverpool. You might argue that the sample size is too small, but then you'd have to reserve judgement of your own. How many games does he need to play, for the goal-to-minutes ratio to be useful?

Last edited:
It's called reductio ad absurdum, you wally - it isn't a comparison of their ability, it's showing you that you accept one statistic at face value for one player, and not for another. The fact you didn't grasp that is rather worrying.

They are mentioned in the same sentence because it if I said to you 'Harry Kane has scored 20 goals this season', you wouldn't go through his goals and micro analyse whether he scored most of them against Norwich or Liverpool. You might argue that the sample size is too small, but then you'd have to reserve judgement of your own. How many games does he need to play, for the goal-to-minutes ratio to be useful?
It's definitely absurdum like. I'll give you that.

Back