Josh Maja > Bristol City

Not quite the Ronaldo figure he's made out to be on here since leaving, but would be a good Championship striker imo.

To be fair, Ligue 1 isn't that different to the Championship in terms of quality imo, except for PSG.
He may not be Ronaldo but he is a very good finisher. Appears to do it very naturally as well. Goal down at Luton said a lot to me.

He genuinely doesn’t miss. Was the case from U18’s through to the first team from what I saw.

Remarkable player with a skill you just can’t teach.

Maja is premier League quality. Exactly why you won't get him. Don't think you could afford the 20m Bordeaux will ask for

People are underestimating the lads skill and in particular his touch was unbelievable

Touch, link up play and finishing were excellent. Not really someone to lead the line though unless he develops more physically. Not one to stretch the defence and make defenders run towards their own goals either. Quite a measured player and young enough to improve, but I dont think he'll be good enough to be a PL regular for a long while, hed have to show a marked improvement.

I've really heard it all now. A rank average centre forward who scores a few goals for a rank average French football team and had previously scored a few in one of the most rank average leagues on the continent has suddenly become Lionel Messi. Jeez, nee wonder we are shite .

We're apparently in for him, opinions?
His season with us reminded me a lot of Tammy Abraham's loan spell with you. You'd watch him for 90 minutes and not understand the hype and then he'd score a goal from nothing.

His xG must have been colossal when he was here. His goals hid a lot of inadequacies in the squad in the first half of that season. If he stayed we'd have almost certainly finished 2nd. The drop off after he left was remarkable, which is a fairly big compliment to pay to a 19-year-old.

A lot of the disgruntlement some fans have against the owner all steams from, firstly, the inability to get him a new contract earlier in the season, before he hit a run of form and people started looking at him, and secondly, cashing in on him for 3 million when he did. Even if he left for free at the end of the seasons, the goals that he would have scored that would have seen us promoted were worth far more to the club.

In terms of would he sign for you? You never know, there are always some bizarrely cheap transfers to come out of France. His agent is widely disliked on here but I don't think he chases the money. I think he tries to plot the best possible career path for the player. He might be engineering the move because he sees Bristol as the best route into the Premier League while keeping him playing and developing.

Would be a great signing for anyone in the championship, he confidence must be high after a decent start in the top tier in France.

Can't see him moving to a mid table championship team, and I can't see Bristol City spending £10-15million on a striker....could be wrong like.

Hope he does move as we have a sel on clause, and also would like to see him back in e gland as he is a great talent and nice lad.

Maja is premier League quality. Exactly why you won't get him. Don't think you could afford the 20m Bordeaux will ask for

He just isnt. He might be with a lot of work and if he keeps on developing.

He was very good for us in league one and had several strengths to his game which were exceptional at that level, but he also had some glaring weaknesses, like a lack of real pace, unwillingness to chase and a lack of real strength which was a problem given he often had to play with his back to goal. A natural finisher, but not a natural striker - you could see why he'd been played as a link man at lower levels at times.

We're apparently in for him, opinions?

Would be a good signing for you! young, can score goals, seems pretty level headed and not a trouble maker! I see him similar to that “Maupay” who signed for Brentford done well for a few seasons and is at Brighton now!

Quite a few arrogant pricks amongst our fans here. Maja has done nothing to suggest he would be ready for Premiership standard football. Scored almost all of his goals for us in League 1 and most of his goals in France in one game against the leagues whipping boys. That said, hes good and a calm finisher. Bristol City, a good championship team seems a good fit to me.

I'm having to go back and remind myself that this is Josh Maja we're talking about, not Sergio Aguero. The bloke has 22 league goals in his career, 15 of them in League One.
I'd say you've pretty much got no chance of signing him.

He's genuinely worth more money than both Bristol clubs in their entirety put together.

Sorry.

What a f***ing idiotic comment.

Ignore him.

Maja is looking like a good goalscorer who can score different types of goals. A championship club that creates chances would seem like a good fit for him at the moment.

Last edited:
Would be a good signing for you! young, can score goals, seems pretty level headed and not a trouble maker! I see him similar to that “Maupay” who signed for Brentford done well for a few seasons and is at Brighton now!

Not a bad comparison, but right now Maupay is twice the player.

Back