Josh Hawkes

Confirmed.

@sunderlandafc: #SAFC are delighted to announce the signing of former Hartlepool United attacking-midfielder Josh Hawkes ✍ The 21-year-old has signed a two-year deal on Wearside.
Interesting - all the other young lads have been getting a 1 year deal. This one is a two year deal which suggests they are more confident of his ability to step up. Another signing which is encouraging. Shame the manager has no interest whatsoever in developing youth and introducing them into the first team.

What's the point in signing these young players I mean he's 21 so is old enough to play first team football but with Parkinson in charge he won't get a chance

we're building up far more contacts and getting input from a wide range of sources. It may be more old school but hopefully it'll prove far more effective.
It'll get us so far - primarily because what went before was such an utter shitshow that you could have a baboon picking names out of a hat and it would be an improvement. However, until we fully embrace a vastly more modern way of identifying players - one that isn't led by contacts (and therefore who is available) but by a clear understanding of the characteristics we need - we will always be an also-ran. I can make my peace as this as a short term approach but it's WAY past time for SAFC to sort it's collective life out.

What's the point in signing these young players I mean he's 21 so is old enough to play first team football but with Parkinson in charge he won't get a chance
I'd be amazed of Parko is still employed by SAFC in a years time. Hopefully Hawkes and a few other of these prospects are and we have a manager who values developing talent and an owner/set of Directors who set up a template for a club who also value developing talent. Its seems patently obvious that we have employed the wrong manager and I would imagine, in his bones, Donald realises that even though he can't say it. You just have to listen to our non-Exces and the words from our CEO regarding the importance of keeping and developing talent to see that Parkinson is the wrong fit.

Welcome lad ans good luck, you could score ten hattricks in ten games but you still wont even be on the bench for the first team

is he good enough for first team, know nothing about him?

I think he could do well in league one. If the club are just going to use him in the academy then i think it's a waste for the lad. He's a good footballer and has good support round him, so I'll be keeping a close eye on how he does having watched him for years at Hartlepool.

Do you think he’ll kick on and push for the first team?

The only time I saw him play he looked excellent, to be fair.

Yes
Interesting - all the other young lads have been getting a 1 year deal. This one is a two year deal which suggests they are more confident of his ability to step up. Another signing which is encouraging. Shame the manager has no interest whatsoever in developing youth and introducing them into the first team.

Richardson got a 2 year deal as well. Ged looking after his former Hartlepool lads :)

I'd be amazed of Parko is still employed by SAFC in a years time. Hopefully Hawkes and a few other of these prospects are and we have a manager who values developing talent and an owner/set of Directors who set up a template for a club who also value developing talent. Its seems patently obvious that we have employed the wrong manager and I would imagine, in his bones, Donald realises that even though he can't say it.
Agreed

Best of luck to the lad. It’s hard to remember the last time we signed an “attacking mid-fielder”. Hopefully we will see him make a push for the first team.

Back