Jonathan Wilson: the candystripe passions of grandfather, father and son

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://salutsunderland.com/2011/10/...tripe-passions-of-grandfather-father-and-son/

Don't know why, but this morning I remembered possibly the greatest article I have ever read on what it means to be a football and/or Sunderland fan. I thought I would share it again on here, a nice start to a Saturday morning. Despite being a few years old now, it still rings true.

There's a reason Jonathan Wilson is paid to be a writer!

Quite why his Wearside based quarterly periodical "The Blizzard" isnt as well know in Sunderland is beyond me tbh. Should be essential reading for ANY football enthusiast. Its got the greatest football writers on the planet banging out the stuff that the dailies dont want to touch because of the size of the articles reqd to get over the stories.

Quite why his Wearside based quarterly periodical "The Blizzard" isnt as well know in Sunderland is beyond me tbh. Should be essential reading for ANY football enthusiast. Its got the greatest football writers on the planet banging out the stuff that the dailies dont want to touch because of the size of the articles reqd to get over the stories.

It's class. Must admit I've fallen way behind on reading it though. May ask for all the back catalogue for Crimbo...or just buy it myself.

Wilson is an excellent writer. It's a crying shame the industry is going the way of clickbait bollocks and '5 things we learned...' shite; it means writers like him are scratching around for relevance as people can't be arsed to sit and read anything that has more words than pictures. Noticed he's now doing bits for WhoScored.com which are basically intent on shoehorning as many 'stats' in as possible.

Great article

Quite emotional reading the last few paragraphs

It's class. Must admit I've fallen way behind on reading it though. May ask for all the back catalogue for Crimbo...or just buy it myself.

Wilson is an excellent writer. It's a crying shame the industry is going the way of clickbait bollocks and '5 things we learned...' shite; it means writers like him are scratching around for relevance as people can't be arsed to sit and read anything that has more words than pictures. Noticed he's now doing bits for WhoScored.com which are basically intent on shoehorning as many 'stats' in as possible.

No one seems interested in real life anymore. Its all about shock revelations on facebook and really unfunny videos of people trying to be popular. #broken society

http://salutsunderland.com/2011/10/...tripe-passions-of-grandfather-father-and-son/

Don't know why, but this morning I remembered possibly the greatest article I have ever read on what it means to be a football and/or Sunderland fan. I thought I would share it again on here, a nice start to a Saturday morning. Despite being a few years old now, it still rings true.

Many, many thanks for the link - it was imho a humbling yet brilliant article.

Great read. My sense of belonging doesn't stem from childhood memories like his does. It developed as my life did in Sunderland.
The bit about his dad and grandad being at games with him after they had passed away really resonates with me.. Despite the fact my Sunderland supporting life only began at the age of 29, and at the early games I went to I didn't care whether Sunderland won or not, the club and the people quickly got under my skin and I've got fond memories of the craic in the Harbour with people no longer with us.
As the strains of "So you win again" echoed round the SoL after the latest victory over the unwashed last weekend, I turned to my mate and said "your dad is loving this". The bond that brings us together as Sunderland fans lives on in the memory.

Interesting this, I posted it about 3 months ago and it got roundly slagged off. Strange how posting at different times can get different responses.

Wilson's one of my favourite writers. Have you read his Behind the Curtain?

Interesting this, I posted it about 3 months ago and it got roundly slagged off. Strange how posting at different times can get different responses.

Wilson's one of my favourite writers. Have you read his Behind the Curtain?

no, I have read inverting the pyramid though.

Why did it get slagged off, I love it.

Try the guardian he has a weekly blog

The Blizzard podcast is great as well. Every week it's one of the articles read aloud, good way to get into it.

Couldn't recommend the "The Bicycle Thief" about Zlatan enough.

The Blizzard podcast is great as well. Every week it's one of the articles read aloud, good way to get into it.

Couldn't recommend the "The Bicycle Thief" about Zlatan enough.

Was just listening to that the other night. It's alreet but it's essentially just pulled quotes from the Zlatan book and cobbled them together.

Concur about The Blizzard like. The best football writing about IMO. Proud as fuck that I know one the lads involved in its inception and of the fact that probably the finest football publication is based in Sunderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back